Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was not aware buying a phone was contingent on its resale value nor was I aware that obligated manufacturers to space out their releases if it were.

Listen, unless the phone becomes inoperable after the launch of an "upgrade," who cares?

I did IT support on the PC/Notebook side and saw the same issue there too. I know many people that do IT support on phones and all the stories I hear about alot of these phones with defects now, its like did QA even bother to test these things thoroughly before release. Just about every person I know that has a Sprint Samsung or LG complains about xyz not working and sometimes gets even worse after a supposed update to fix. Its like when these phones get 1 year old now they self destruct.

My whole point in rather than rushing the next greatest thing out, atleast make sure it will be mostly bug free and doesnt need a bunch of firmware updates just to make it functional. Asking for a smartphone to be fuctional for 2 years is not too much to ask considering carriers are locking people into 2 yr contracts, so most are expecting the phone to last that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I did IT support on the PC/Notebook side and saw the same issue there too. I know many people that do IT support on phones and all the stories I hear about alot of these phones with defects now, its like did QA even bother to test these things thoroughly before release. Just about every person I know that has a Sprint Samsung or LG complains about xyz not working and sometimes gets even worse after a supposed update to fix. Its like when these phones get 1 year old now they self destruct.

My whole point in rather than rushing the next greatest thing out, atleast make sure it will be mostly bug free and doesnt need a bunch of firmware updates just to make it functional. Asking for a smartphone to be fuctional for 2 years is not too much to ask considering carriers are locking people into 2 yr contracts, so most are expecting the phone to last that long.
Allowing yourself to be trapped in a 2 or even 1 yr contract is just ludicrous! Prepaid options allow you to ditch your phone whenever you feel like! I never understood why people fall for that scam?!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:

Agree phones should work (and all of mine have worked for way more than 2 years - I just drop them a lot), but that is not the op. He was talking about things being not new after 6 months. Look, that is always the fate of the early adopter.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Allowing yourself to be trapped in a 2 or even 1 yr contract is just ludicrous! Prepaid options allow you to ditch your phone whenever you feel like! I never understood why people fall for that scam?!
Ive only been on a 2yr contract once ever, I usually just pay month to month. When I say obsolete, im not referring to the usual upgrade of better screen, cpu, camera as they come out as that is expected. Just a couple of years ago you could buy a smartphone, just to see the following releases one after the other in under a year in which your phone cant take advantage of.

-3G Phone
-Wimax Phone
-HSPDA Phone
-4G Phone
-LTE Phone

The end result was your phone didnt have the latest band to work with the next high speed network. The issue seems to be mostly resolved now as many phones are multi band now. An example would be my Nexus 3 with HSPDA but no 4G, so I got 4G with the Nexus 4 and on the Nexus 4, in order to get LTE I need to get the Nexus 5, even though the Nexus 4 has a LTE chip, but it was deactivated in firmware. The same could be said for all the Galaxy devices that are pretty much identical except the data band it can run.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
do not sign for a plan dont do it.
get your smart phones used.
a better idea is to not get smart phones get dumb phones and a smart tablet harder for NSA to track and trust me they do track you.
Why are you SOOOO worried that the NSA is watching you? Seriously. I do NOT get this. Obviously you are doing something that you shouldn't be. Dealing drugs? PLEASE NSA... watch me. I don't give a ... Please allow me to bore the s... out of you. Heck I will even install an app on my phone FOR YOU if you want to monitor everything I do on my phone. Because I don't do one damn thing that is going to interest you. I don't do drugs. I am not a terrorist. I don't cheat on my taxes. I don't cheat on my wife. If I did install an NSA app they would probably call me: you are boring the pants off us, can you remove that app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN
If you bought a phone for $350+ only to turn around and it is $100 two months later and being replaced with a better model, that kills resale on your phone.
I've never in my life bought a phone for its resale value. Is that really a thing? /sarcasm Maybe it's because I make bank, but after 2 years I don't even try to sell my phone. I did once, my wifes old iPhone. 2 year old iPhone, a few micro-tiny scratches on it, no reserve, never even got ONE hit on it. O yea. baby... Apple resale is AWESOME! I give my old phones to friends and family. For free. I only paid $200 for it. I got (my wife got) my money worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
a better idea is to not get smart phones get dumb phones and a smart tablet harder for NSA to track and trust me they do track you.
Again? Come on man... why so paranoid? And really they do not have something on your phone to track you... it is your communication they track. This includes your email from your computer, texts from your phone. I have no doubt they can get any of that.
I guess you don't have an email account either, Mr Drug Dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021
I agree, prepaid dumb phones are safer, since the NSA has less control over them. Tablets can be tracked just as easily as a smartphone, and they do IF you have interesting activities. But there ARE things you can do to be a pain in the ass for them, but then you become interesting.
I think we have some VERY interesting people on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021
Judgemental much? You claim to be in the wireless industry then you know damn well why plans makes sense for a lot of people. Not only that but... let me ask anyone reading this: How many times have you switched cell providers?? Me? Not once. In 9 years. Not many folks care about being able to switch every 6 months.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:20 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
The end result was your phone didnt have the latest band to work with the next high speed network. The issue seems to be mostly resolved now as many phones are multi band now. An example would be my Nexus 3 with HSPDA but no 4G, so I got 4G with the Nexus 4 and on the Nexus 4, in order to get LTE I need to get the Nexus 5, even though the Nexus 4 has a LTE chip, but it was deactivated in firmware. The same could be said for all the Galaxy devices that are pretty much identical except the data band it can run.
The lesson here is that you can't buy midrange devices and expect top-of-the-line specs. If you cared about LTE when you bought your Nexus 4, you could have instead bought a Galaxy S3 or One X. I'll reiterate what I said originally: The top-of-the-line phones from 2012 are still very usable. There's no way you can say the Galaxy S3 or One X was obsolete 6 months after it was released. It's been almost 2 years since those phones were released and neither is even close to obsolete.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why are you SOOOO worried that the NSA is watching you? Seriously. I do NOT get this. Obviously you are doing something that you shouldn't be. Dealing drugs? PLEASE NSA... watch me. I don't give a ... Please allow me to bore the s... out of you. Heck I will even install an app on my phone FOR YOU if you want to monitor everything I do on my phone. Because I don't do one damn thing that is going to interest you. I don't do drugs. I am not a terrorist. I don't cheat on my taxes. I don't cheat on my wife. If I did install an NSA app they would probably call me: you are boring the pants off us, can you remove that app?

I've never in my life bought a phone for its resale value. Is that really a thing? /sarcasm Maybe it's because I make bank, but after 2 years I don't even try to sell my phone. I did once, my wifes old iPhone. 2 year old iPhone, a few micro-tiny scratches on it, no reserve, never even got ONE hit on it. O yea. baby... Apple resale is AWESOME! I give my old phones to friends and family. For free. I only paid $200 for it. I got (my wife got) my money worth.

Again? Come on man... why so paranoid? And really they do not have something on your phone to track you... it is your communication they track. This includes your email from your computer, texts from your phone. I have no doubt they can get any of that.
I guess you don't have an email account either, Mr Drug Dealer?

I think we have some VERY interesting people on this forum.

Judgemental much? You claim to be in the wireless industry then you know damn well why plans makes sense for a lot of people. Not only that but... let me ask anyone reading this: How many times have you switched cell providers?? Me? Not once. In 9 years. Not many folks care about being able to switch every 6 months.
Switch provider, almost never. Switch phones, about every three months or when I want something different. Sure phone contracts make sense, as long you don't mind doling out the cash for useless reasons when there are cheaper, more flexible alternatives. I NEVER recommend wireless contracts to people, only prepaid options.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Switch provider, almost never. Switch phones, about every three months or when I want something different.
DING DING DING... we have a WINNER!

THIS is the reason why phone manufacturers keep churning out new models as fast as they can, because so many users are hooked on novelty. Sales on any given model drop off dramatically after 6 months because there is always something new to chase.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
DING DING DING... we have a WINNER!

THIS is the reason why phone manufacturers keep churning out new models as fast as they can, because so many users are hooked on novelty. Sales on any given model drop off dramatically after 6 months because there is always something new to chase.
Yep, but the difference is NONE of mine are android smartphones on contract, and ALL of them are still on the market today.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:43 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Why are you switching phones every 3 months? Especially if you are using a standard feature phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones