Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

Most seem to forget this, but as Americans we have the view that the World operates the exact same as us...or more specifically...the rest of the World does not exist beyond our borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Its either pay $600 and get a cheaper cell plan or pay $199 and be locked into expensive data plan for 2 yrs. Then you have the issue of Android always updating and you pray to God that you manufacturer gives you a update. By time they give you one, the phone feels obsolete and the phone lags on the update and you get a newer phone that handles it better. Then there are the constant bugs on phones and the carrier doesnt seem to release a working fix sometimes, so most people just get a new phone on black Friday and are locked in for 2 more years.

Each new phone now is just slightly better than the last one and it seems like they all have bugs that might get fixed or your trapped with the phone and just learn to deal with it,
To point out the obvious: not everyone is on the same contract cycle as you, or him, or her. Contracts end every single month of the year.

Two, outside of a small handful of carrier-speficic phones, these phones are sold around the World. Not everyone operates on the U.S. model of choose a carrier than a phone than a plan (or something like that). It is more common for cell/smart phone users to buy a phone unlocked then chose a provider/plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How else are they going to make any money? Microsoft would have been out of business long ago if they had stayed with Windows 95. I've never spent more than $999 to upgrade but do so every time my contract is up, the technology gets a lot better in two years, and by staying on the same plan I still have unlimited data.
According the Computers sub-fourm, my estimate is that roughly 90% of PC users see no point in moving past XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
OR too much CRAP too quickly....
With Android, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
No. If you bought a phone for $350+ only to turn around and it is $100 two months later and being replaced with a better model, that kills resale on your phone.
Please, tell me where on Earth it is stated that a smartphone MUST retain resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why are you SOOOO worried that the NSA is watching you? Seriously. I do NOT get this. Obviously you are doing something that you shouldn't be. Dealing drugs? PLEASE NSA... watch me. I don't give a ... Please allow me to bore the s... out of you.
Well, it is well documented that the NSA wants access to every U.S. phone number. They make no effort to hide it as this is something they publicly announce. Currently, though, there is no way they can monitor every single phone.

The NSA does not care if you are dealing drugs, just so you know. Well, unless your drug money is being spent to fund assault rifles for Girl Scouts.

I quite literally live down the road form the NSA. I meet people who claim to work there, often at some of my local bars. Usually Navy personnel. I have no way of verifying this, but according to them the list of stuff the NSA does not care about is rather long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Most seem to forget this, but as Americans we have the view that the World operates the exact same as us...or more specifically...the rest of the World does not exist beyond our borders.
I really hope that's not true...

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why are you switching phones every 3 months? Especially if you are using a standard feature phone?
Maybe he's trying to stay one step ahead of the NSA? LOL.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The lesson here is that you can't buy midrange devices and expect top-of-the-line specs. If you cared about LTE when you bought your Nexus 4, you could have instead bought a Galaxy S3 or One X. I'll reiterate what I said originally: The top-of-the-line phones from 2012 are still very usable. There's no way you can say the Galaxy S3 or One X was obsolete 6 months after it was released. It's been almost 2 years since those phones were released and neither is even close to obsolete.
Agreed, another example is the HTC One which was released a year ago, yet I still see tech sites proclaiming it to be one of the best smart phones out in the market.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

To point out the obvious: not everyone is on the same contract cycle as you, or him, or her. Contracts end every single month of the year.

Two, outside of a small handful of carrier-speficic phones, these phones are sold around the World. Not everyone operates on the U.S. model of choose a carrier than a phone than a plan (or something like that). It is more common for cell/smart phone users to buy a phone unlocked then chose a provider/plan.

According the Computers sub-fourm, my estimate is that roughly 90% of PC users see no point in moving past XP.

With Android, yes.

Please, tell me where on Earth it is stated that a smartphone MUST retain resale value?

Well, it is well documented that the NSA wants access to every U.S. phone number. They make no effort to hide it as this is something they publicly announce. Currently, though, there is no way they can monitor every single phone.

The NSA does not care if you are dealing drugs, just so you know. Well, unless your drug money is being spent to fund assault rifles for Girl Scouts.

I quite literally live down the road form the NSA. I meet people who claim to work there, often at some of my local bars. Usually Navy personnel. I have no way of verifying this, but according to them the list of stuff the NSA does not care about is rather long.

Im not saying you buy a phone for resale value, but generally since I have unlocked phones I usually can get $150 to $200 for them even when they are a year old, but now with something coming out every other month that goes down, but I can still get $150+ But my previous phones were pretty decent phones.

HTC SDA
HTC Shadow
Pharos 137
Touch HD2
Galaxy Nexus 3
LG Nexus 4

As long as I can get $100-150 towards a new phone im fine, gone are the days of a used smartphone going for $2-300 on ebay

Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 PM

50 posts, read 58,299 times
I don't know how some of you people like windows and Nokia phones better than iPhones or Samsung phones. Nokias and windows phones are fugly and look like they came from the nineties.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Or forgo all that crap, go to walmart or whereever and just spend $30 for a burner and be done with it. Contract phones suck, period.
But then you get stuck with Walmart garbage. Contracts might suck for you, but for many (if not majority) of Americans, it makes sense.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
That's why hubby and I moved away from Android, we got tired of after 6 months our damn phones turning into bricks.

I have a windows phone now, got it months ago, it's great, sure it doesn't have all the apps that Iphones have (yet) but IMO it's catching on, and it's nice to have a phone that works so well with my laptop. I've had it for at least 4-6 months, no signs of slowing down, and the apps are just getting better

I do think iphone is great, but I don't want to spend that kind of money.
I've had Android, iPhones, and Windows Phones. I've never had any of these phones turn into bricks... and I mean ever. Even my old J2ME and Palm phones never bricked.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
OR too much CRAP too quickly....
That comes with competition and choice. You get the best of both worlds. A lot of great stuff released, and a lot of crap released. But I'd rather have a choice, than be stuck with the same $40 Walmart flip phone for the rest of my life.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I agree, prepaid dumb phones are safer, since the NSA has less control over them. Tablets can be tracked just as easily as a smartphone, and they do IF you have interesting activities. But there ARE things you can do to be a pain in the ass for them, but then you become interesting.
One would be quite ignorant in thinking that a dumb phone cannot be tracked just like smart phones. Both an connect to towers and both have an embedded GPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones