U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:17 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,228,181 times

Advertisements

I have an iPhone 5 (Black, 16GB) that I bought 10 months ago. It's too much phone for me and I don't use the Data Plan at all. I've never taken it out of the house so it's in mint condition, with a scratch resistant protection screen and an Otter Box cover. I still have the original box and new earphones.

I'd like to get rid of it to lower my monthly phone bill by getting rid of the Data Plan. I have my old cell phone that I'd like to switch my Verizon service back to.

What's the best way to sell it? For how much?

Best Buy Mobile would give me $220.50 but it would be in-store credit.

Verizon would give me $100 towards my bill. But the saleswoman I spoke to said my phone, with all of it's supplies and in the condition it's in is valued at $600 - $700! She seems to think that if I list it on Craiglist, Ebay, etc., I could get $400 for it because it's in mint condition and has the expensive Otter Box case.

CashiPhone.com gave a quote of $280 but I don't know if I want to trust an online site.

To be honest, I'd be happy selling the whole thing for $250 - $300 if all of the above is true, but I'm NOT good at this kind of stuff! I don't care about getting top dollar, I just want to be done with it.

What's the best way to sell my iPhone5? This is Minneapolis, so, surely, there must be some way.

And would/should I unlock it first? Are there instructions online for how to do it or would I need to have a store do it?

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 PM

I'm really sorry, I didn't intend to post the same thread twice! Trying to figure out how to get rid of one of them!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM

14,482 posts, read 21,299,128 times
Default Gazelle

Sell or Trade in Your Apple iPhone 5 16GB (Verizon) | Gazelle
$225
Very easy to use.
They pay for shipping.
They are honest.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:39 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,572,496 times
you might want to look around at your local mall as well to see if there people buying em in a booth. avoid eco atm though they don't pay ****. I tried selling a iPhone 5s 64GB and they only offered 250 and gazzel offered me 380 for it as it was in flawless condition. we have a booth that buys used phones in our mall here so it wouldn't hurt to look

Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 PM

7,248 posts, read 5,749,785 times
Sell it on eBay or Craigslist. $350-$400 is not at all unreasonable.

The Verizon lady's numbers are heavily inflated, given that one can buy a brand new 5S for $650.

Carriers and places that are in the business of buying phones are pretty much the worst possible options for getting rid of old phones, especially ones that are still desirable like iPhone 5.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,040,554 times
Send it to me... I'll give you $250 for it then I'll turn around and sell it on Ebay for $350-$400.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 PM

26,095 posts, read 42,823,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I'm really sorry, I didn't intend to post the same thread twice! Trying to figure out how to get rid of one of them!
Taken care of...

Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Thank you all very much for your advice. I honestly am that naive to this stuff. Other than my iMac, I don't have anything more technological than my refrigerator. The phone was just a bad and wasted idea for me.

I ended up putting an ad on Craigslist and WOW the emails came flooding in! I ended up selling it for $300 which is more than I expected but less than what people at Verizon and Best Buy Mobile said I SHOULD sell it for. But, I'm not against giving someone a good deal.

To be honest, Best Buy Mobile got me a GREAT deal on the phone. I had a problem with a Verizon store manager and contacted Verizon Headquarters. They were really great about it and, by the time all the credits and rebates were added up along with the deal I got on the phone, I ended up getting the phone for free and $20 to boot! So, selling it for $300 means I came out of the whole thing $320 ahead!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM

34,492 posts, read 60,066,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Thank you all very much for your advice. I honestly am that naive to this stuff. Other than my iMac, I don't have anything more technological than my refrigerator. The phone was just a bad and wasted idea for me.

I ended up putting an ad on Craigslist and WOW the emails came flooding in! I ended up selling it for $300 which is more than I expected but less than what people at Verizon and Best Buy Mobile said I SHOULD sell it for. But, I'm not against giving someone a good deal.

To be honest, Best Buy Mobile got me a GREAT deal on the phone. I had a problem with a Verizon store manager and contacted Verizon Headquarters. They were really great about it and, by the time all the credits and rebates were added up along with the deal I got on the phone, I ended up getting the phone for free and $20 to boot! So, selling it for $300 means I came out of the whole thing $320 ahead!

Thanks again everyone!
A Craigslist sale is what I do every time I turn over my phone.
It works great. I didn't suggest it only because I wasn't sure you were comfy with Craigslist. It can be a bit "interesting," to say the least.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A Craigslist sale is what I do every time I turn over my phone.
It works great. I didn't suggest it only because I wasn't sure you were comfy with Craigslist. It can be a bit "interesting," to say the least.
Apparently, I spoke too soon. For the last two days, I've had a LOT of people express interest in the phone and three of them said they definitely wanted it and wanted to know when they could come by to pick it up.

I said anytime, as I had the last two days free. My e-mail has remained opened and I've responded to every inquiry within minutes.

No one has shown up, even after four or five email exchanges between us.

Is this normal? Are there people who do this, never showing up and thinking it's funny? Call me naive but I would never think of doing that to someone. I just don't understand.

Honestly, I'm tempted to pull THAT ad off Craigslist and RE-list the ad for $350 instead of $300. I don't want to do eBay because I don't want to have to deal with the fees, packaging, shipping and all the extra time. I don't have a car, so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones