Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM

129 posts, read 516,329 times

Advertisements

OK,

This guy is walking through my hotel out here in ND and he has this slightly bulky watch on, I work with electronics so curiosity got the best of me and just had to ask what it was. Apparently it links to your cell and allows you to access the phone through it. I was simply blown away by the coolness of it. The drawback is it has to be linked to a bulky ass phone somewhere near you or in your pocket and so on. He did not tell me where he got it, or how much it cost.

This is apparently relatively new for US customers but has been around for several years in other parts of the world that have more trendy personal comm devices. I hate having to carry a regular cell of any type however, is there/will there be a watch phone that operates on it's own, as in not having to be tethered in some way to a regular cell?

I am basically over the smartphone thing, and just want to make calls with maybe an interactive menu, or voice to text.

Does such a device exist? Again, I am asking if there is one that just gets it's signal from towers, and does not depend on another device for call or cell service. If one does exist what networks can it be used with, Verizon is the only game in town out here, and I do not care to use the data service in any way, I do not live in a social media world or care to.

Thanks!

Last edited by orrecc; 10-15-2013 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Title should have been more clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Which model/make was the cell phone watch? Was it the new Samsung Galaxy Gear ??? Just do a search for "wrist watch cell phone" on the internet and you will find several hits.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
Apparently it links to your cell and allows you to access the phone through it. I was simply blown away by the coolness of it. The drawback is it has to be linked to a bulky ass phone somewhere near you or in your pocket and so on.
That's what's cool about iPhone... I just got my first... switching from the S3 to the 5s. It fits comfortably in my front shirt pocket and I no longer am carrying an oversized phone.

Sure the bigger screen was nice but now I am of the opinion that my phone feels like a phone... and not some bulky oversized mini-tablet.

To each their own!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 PM

129 posts, read 516,329 times
Well I took a few hours last night and started looking for such a device, here it what I have found:

1: Yes the device he had was the Samsung.
2: These devices are commonly manufactured and sold overseas.
3: The devices are overwhelmingly GSM.
4: Few available CDMA models, most must be purchased in bulk from China. Not a bad thing I just don't need 100 wristphones.
5: Verizon is mum on network compatibility, even their pop up help person on their site had no idea.
6: The majority of these devices require SIM activation, I know nothing about using a SIM on Verizon or on any other network, thought only prepaid phones used them. Feel free to correct me on this if I am wrong.
7: Appears the USA general population would rather have the smartphone so you can show each other pictures of cats and so on, plus keep up on twitter.

Looks like I will have to keep waiting, or be forced to buy the new I-phone or a base model flip. I-phone is great and a sturdy device, but the smartphone design means it will end up falling out of my pocket or sliding all over the interior of my car as my current phone does.

-Sigh

Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM

As I understand the new Samsung Galaxy Gear watch is currently only compatible with the Samsung Note III and may be compatible with the S4 Galaxy with a firmware update soon. I have the Galaxy S4 for Verizon and I know that they sell the Note III and Galaxy Gear watch/smart device/phone currently. Just saying.....

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
It's a Bluetooth device that works with a custom app that only is available on the Samsung devices listed above or pending note 3 and sgs4.

Yes you will need to tether for the foreseeable future. A standalone watch phone is more pink unicorn than reality.
The watch phone via Bluetooth has been attempted several times before notably LG in 2008-2009ish but the market wasn't ready for it.
I don't see the mothership being replaced just yet, as in the cell phone still being your main hub of connectivity.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
via Bluetooth has been attempted several times before notably LG in 2008-2009ish but the market wasn't ready for it.
LG makes a killer bluetooth headset... Amazon.com: Black Original LG Tone HBS-700 Universal Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset HBS-700: Cell Phones & Accessories

Goodbye wires!

They'll probably get this right too...

Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
LG makes a killer bluetooth headset... Amazon.com: Black Original LG Tone HBS-700 Universal Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset HBS-700: Cell Phones & Accessories

Goodbye wires!

The thread is about a wristwatch/phone device and not a bluetooth headset.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The thread is about a wristwatch/phone device and not a bluetooth headset.
You just had to post that didn't you?

Do you feel better now?

I am fully aware of what the thread is about... and posting a link to a solid LG product as a means of good reference (in case anyone showed interest in their related wristwatch/phone device) doesn't derail the thread.

That was my intent... hence the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
... now you can move on to the next thread k?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones