Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What OS does your phone have?
Android 26 57.78%
Blackberry 7 15.56%
iOS 11 24.44%
Windows 7 15.56%
Other 1 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times

Advertisements

Poll is which OS do you use. Also, what phone do you use and why do you love it?

I am a bit of a geek (hence the name). So much so that I can't decide between iOS and Android. I am so geeky that I carry 2 phones. Yes, I know I'm crazy but technology is my one vice (and beer lol so 2).

I currently have a Black Nexus 5 (Android) and a Silver iPhone 5s.

Pros of Nexus 5:
Extremely fast
No crapware apps put on by carrier
Awesome screen
Love the feel of the phone in my hand (sticky/rubbery back)
Love the customization available on android
Love Google now

Cons of Nexus 5
Mediocre battery life
Mediocre camera
Pretty boring phone design

Pros of iPhone 5s
Extremely fluid, fast and everything works well together
Awesome camera
Beautifully designed phone
Siri is very helpful
Good battery life
I absolutely LOVE the fingerprint scanner (thought it was a gimmick at first but it's great)

Cons of iPhone 5s
Small screen
Slightly boring stale OS
Very little customization available in iOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 AM

573 posts, read 970,838 times
Androids are easier to configure than iphones, but iphones DO have some nice features. Originally, what attracted me to my android (galaxy S Blaze) was the price and the fact that it was capable of plugging in a 32 gig memory card. Iphones don't have a memory card slot at all.

FYI: if you constantly lose data on your memory card, replace the card, it probably is not the phone.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 PM

237 posts, read 499,349 times
Android no question. The customization is unmatched. When coworkers bring me their iphones for troubleshooting, I feel like someome who is used to building with Lego being handed a box of Duplo bricks. The interface on iOS is clumsy and the screen is quite lacking as well.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
The build quality of the iPhone is what sold me when I got my first smart phone two years ago. iOS is very intuitive for me. And having a quality camera on my phone is important. I have nothing against the Android OS. I wouldn't mind having a larger screen and that will change in the near future.

I have the iPhone 5.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default iPhone for me

1. I have been programming for 49 years.
2. I build websites for a living. So, I still code.
3. I have zero interest in customizing or programming my phone. I want to make phone calls and use apps.
4. I buy whatever Tim tells me to buy.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Windows. . . .

it just suits me. i like the interface, i like the features and integration with my cloud storage, office, etc. . . the nokia cameras are pretty amazing also.

i have three nokia windows phones (also have the nokia windows 8 tablet), one dell, and one htc. the dell is my "daily driver" because of the portrait slider keyboard (like a blackberry keyboard), and it has the greatest battery life of all my devices. the nokia is the better phone by miles.

i find things every now and then that may bug me, but i still prefer it over iphone and android. i don't use a lot of apps, so i can't really speak to that. i mostly use the built-in office apps, navigation, weather, banking, etc. . . . oh and the xbox music subscription is probably one of my favorite features. i love that.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:35 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,365 times
I love Windows Phone... it is fast. Period... plus, it works great with email, calendar, and contacts. I don't like the fact there are somewhat limited number of apps (well, I need a couple... not that bad), and the "store", I believe, is too strict. I'm on Sprint (personal phone) so my Windows Phone choices are limited. Xbox Music is GREAT....

So I use: Android... it is fast as well, but not fast as Windows phone. Android has a couple of apps that I need, that windows phone does not have. I send a lot of email and txt so I need a keyboard... android has that, Windows Phone does not. Android is more open and reminds me of "old Windows 95/98" back in the day.

For a job location, they issued me a BB (on ATT)... had the old 9900... now have a Q10. I'd rather go back to the 9900... it was a simple email device. Q10 is a great idea on paper but not in everyday life. Not crying about it, but it is different and I can't say I care for it. It is a much better overall device (browser is much better), etc... but I need a BB for email, calendar and contacts. All the swipes get LONG after checking email all day. And the lack of a touchpad is annoying... that circle thing does not make up for it since my fingers are a tad bit too big... and I have average hands, I'd say.

iPhone... no thanks.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,147 times
Recently switched to WP8 from Android. Overall, very pleased. The app list for WP8 is growing daily. For me, my phone is about being in touch with people and WP8 excels in that respect. Plus I have seamless syncing with my laptop.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:31 PM

61,681 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I had Symbian (Nokia), Android (Nexus) and now Windows8 (Nokia again), and I am very pleased with the overall performance and the look of my Windows phone.

Pros (Nokia Lumia 1020): very fast, easy to use, long battery life, fantastic camera quality.
The hardware and software are made by the same people - so they work very well together.
No software-based security threats.
Great Microsoft Office software. Email works and synchronizes perfectly.
The screen is dazzling, the speakers superb.
Love HERE Maps, and GPS finds my ways faster than Android.
I also like the Glance features.

Cons: not very many apps, yet (compared to iOS or Android) - but they are adding new every day. The majority of commonly used apps is available, thought. I think there are about 200,000 apps for Windows phone right now.

Windows Phone is going to grow in a big way this year with Lumia on the frontline. Expect exclusive content, trend setting development, and world class hardware.
I am a devoted Nokia user since 1994, with the exception of the recent ~1 year while I used Nexus4, I am now back to Nokia, and appreciating it even more.

That said - I barely miss my Android now.

Last edited by elnina; 04-06-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
I like both Android and IOS, they seem rather equal except that android phones offer more multitasking thanks to having more RAM. I own a Nexus 4 phone and I have an IPad Mini 2 for my IOS fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones