Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times

Advertisements

I don't doubt that Apple will eventually release an iPhone with a truly larger display now that Jobs is gone; but you need to be careful with Apple related leaks and rumors. Practically all (but not all) of the leaks are sourced to which-ever Asian factory and if history bears any evidence these need to be taken with a grain of salt. All handset manufacturers work on prototypes and many of these prototypes leak out to the public through which-ever fanboi site is necessary. Most don't go into production; at least not initially.

With that, based on Apple's past history with individual product lines, the iPhone as-it-is has surpassed its product life cycle and the iPhone 5S/C should be its death throe as we know it. Outside of history, the evidence is with the radical redesign of iOS7. Apple is a software company first-and-foremost. They build the OS first then follow up with the hardware second. Jobs took part in a joint interview/discussion with Gates back in 2007; both were in agreement that we are moving into (circa 2007) a post-PC world. For those not in the know, post-PC means tablets, smartphones, and other forms of mobile computing. The A7 chip is currently not capable of running "true desktop apps", and it is rumored that the A8 chip would be able to do so. Also, in my opinion iOS7 is more at-home on the larger iPad screen than it is on the current iPhone 5/S/C screens.

So; Apple is going to radically redesign the iPhone as we know it. That is a given. Whether they release a true phablet or not is still up in the air at this point in time. The various models of iPhone have had initial releases dates in the months of June, July, and September with subsequent models being released in the months of February and October. I highly doubt the iPhone 6 will be released over the summer as the A8 chip is not expected to roll out until the Fall, but I do anticipate its announcement during WWDC in June along with the debut of iOS8.

It might be worth your while to hang on to your iPhone 4 until then but keep in mind that it is also rumored the iPhone 6 will cost consumers $50-100 more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I don't doubt that Apple will eventually release an iPhone with a truly larger display now that Jobs is gone; but you need to be careful with Apple related leaks and rumors. Practically all (but not all) of the leaks are sourced to which-ever Asian factory and if history bears any evidence these need to be taken with a grain of salt. All handset manufacturers work on prototypes and many of these prototypes leak out to the public through which-ever fanboi site is necessary. Most don't go into production; at least not initially.

With that, based on Apple's past history with individual product lines, the iPhone as-it-is has surpassed its product life cycle and the iPhone 5S/C should be its death throe as we know it. Outside of history, the evidence is with the radical redesign of iOS7. Apple is a software company first-and-foremost. They build the OS first then follow up with the hardware second. Jobs took part in a joint interview/discussion with Gates back in 2007; both were in agreement that we are moving into (circa 2007) a post-PC world. For those not in the know, post-PC means tablets, smartphones, and other forms of mobile computing. The A7 chip is currently not capable of running "true desktop apps", and it is rumored that the A8 chip would be able to do so. Also, in my opinion iOS7 is more at-home on the larger iPad screen than it is on the current iPhone 5/S/C screens.

So; Apple is going to radically redesign the iPhone as we know it. That is a given. Whether they release a true phablet or not is still up in the air at this point in time. The various models of iPhone have had initial releases dates in the months of June, July, and September with subsequent models being released in the months of February and October. I highly doubt the iPhone 6 will be released over the summer as the A8 chip is not expected to roll out until the Fall, but I do anticipate its announcement during WWDC in June along with the debut of iOS8.

It might be worth your while to hang on to your iPhone 4 until then but keep in mind that it is also rumored the iPhone 6 will cost consumers $50-100 more.
Yes this is true. Though over the past couple of years, protoype design vs manufacture and release has improved greatly. The dead protos that never make it to light are not so normal anymore. Its much easier now to push devices out because the chipsets can support multiple frequencies that are global. Plus the OSs are not necessarily country specific anymore like they were with Java or BREW based devices (a la flip phone era)

So an iPad isnt a larger iPhone? lol

A 4.7" and 6" are coming out.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Thank you for the awesome post; totally got it. Not worried on the $50 to $100 more; I expected something of that nature.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:32 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times
If you're running out of space on your iPhone due to your music collection I recommend looking into iTunes Match. It gives you iCloud access to your entire iTunes Music Library on your phone and the option to stream or download any of your music from anywhere. That way you don't need to physically store everything on your device. It's only like $24.99 per year so that's cheaper than paying the extra $100 for the 32GB iPhone.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,956 times
I'm using an iPhone 4 that my brother gave me after he purchased an iPhone 5. I think the iPhone 6 will be a hit because it will be bigger. Over-all usage will be more enjoyable: videos/movies, social sites, pictures, reading, etc. People want bigger screens! Personally, my iPhone 4 works perfectly and the latest software update made the phone work better and faster. I'm not sure if I will go for an iPhone 6. I'm not loyal to any tech company but I do lean towards Microsoft/Windows. The Nokia Lumia phones are superb and I expect Windows phones to continue that awesome build quality. Windows lacks some popular apps but eventually all of the popular apps enjoyed by Android and iOS users will be available on Windows phone. Microsoft's new CEO has made it easier for developers to get on board!

-Cheers.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 PM

I upgraded to the 5S & went edge, much happier, all good, when 6 comes I can upgrade easily.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
What I do is to buy an iPhone or two from Apple (16GB 5s costs $199.00), then take the iPhones to the cell company and get one of the family plants. No need to worry about 2-year plans and all of that stuff this way.

For example:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html

Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What I do is to buy an iPhone or two from Apple (16GB 5s costs $199.00), then take the iPhones to the cell company and get one of the family plants. No need to worry about 2-year plans and all of that stuff this way.

For example:
BYOP - Bring Your Own Phone or Tablet to AT&T and Save
That doesn't make any sense, at all.

It only costs $199 from Apple if you buy it with a cell service contract. You're not avoiding the contract by buying it from Apple unless you pay full price.

If you buy it without any service, it's $649.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That doesn't make any sense, at all.

It only costs $199 from Apple if you buy it with a cell service contract. You're not avoiding the contract by buying it from Apple unless you pay full price.

If you buy it without any service, it's $649.
Holly cow! You are correct I went to the Apple store, and sure enough, it's $649.00 for a 16GB iPhone 5s

Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Actually, my upgrade worked well: I went Edge ->31.00/month, no charge for iphone 5S (31/mo. is the cost until 12 months when I can upgrade), I turned in my iphone 4 (16GB) & Verizon gave me $100 credit; I originally paid $149 for it. Tapping foot, waiting patiently for the 6. I find the cell phone game to be just that ~ a game to keep up with the "Phoneses". The dichotomy is that I hate buying into it & held out for four years; however, even the bigger screen on the 5S is most welcome than that of the four once the change has been made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones