Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,780,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
I am not switching. The plan I have is cheap and perfect for my needs.

So here are my two thoughts. (under 250 is a must)

1) Get an older generation smart phone. Im talking about Galaxy S3 or Iphone 4/4s. If any one knows where i can get these a good deal is greatly appreciated.

2) Get a new out of the box phone (not S5/Iphone 5s) but not as capable as the ones above.

If any one knows any good sites for phone deals, please let me know.
It would be greatly appreciated.
A old factory unlocked iPhone 4 with 8gb is easily under $200 on Craigslist. I have one when traveling out if the country. The battery life and screen won't be as nice as a new phone. You can also find them on eBay with buy it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 AM

715 posts, read 1,146,606 times
To cxr89:

I just did this a few months ago.

Save all your contacts into your current phones sim card.

Buy the Motorola Moto G, 16 GB, unlocked, with latest version of Android for $199.
Moto G by Motorola - A Google Company

Then go into any T-Mobile store and ask for the appropriate micro sim card - request that your contacts be imported into the new micro sim card/phone and get it activated.
https://motorola-global-portal.custh...50/action/auth

Be nice and say you'd like to stay a loyal T-Mobile customer instad of moving th AT&T and the T-Mobile rep may not even charge you anything for the micro sim card.

You'll then have your own fully paid, brand new, unlocked phone, with the latest version of Android, and no bloatware. No need for iTunes to load music/movies/books into your phone. Just drag and drop.

And if you're ever unhappy with T-Mobile, you can easily move to another carrier that has GSM just by replacing the micro-sim card.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 PM

17 posts, read 15,686 times
I will recommend Sony Xperia Z2 there are a lot of positive reviews in this new phone. Just google it. It's my dream phone as well . :-)

Old 04-25-2014, 04:06 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,600,178 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

So my phone is no longer charging properly and it is only a matter of time before I need to get myself a new phone. I currently have T Mobile and I am not switching. The plan I have is cheap and perfect for my needs.

1) Get an older generation smart phone. Im talking about Galaxy S3 or Iphone 4/4s. If any one knows where i can get these a good deal is greatly appreciated.

2) Get a new out of the box phone (not S5/Iphone 5s) but not as capable as the ones above.

T-mobile has two phones under $250 if you plan to pay them at full retail price:

Samsung Galaxy Light
$240
4 inch screen
1.4Ghz Quad Core processor
1GB of RAM
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
LTE capable

LG Optimus F3
$192
4 inch screen
1.2Ghz dual core processor
1GB of RAM
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
LTE capable
Front and back camera

Not sure about the following price since it says coming soon, but it looks like a mid range android phone so it'll likely be between $200-$300?

LG Optimus L90
4.7 inch screen
1.2Ghz Quad Core processor
1GB of RAM
Android 4.4 kitkat
4G capable
Front and back camera

Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,785,397 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

So my phone is no longer charging properly and it is only a matter of time before I need to get myself a new phone. I currently have T Mobile and I am not switching. The plan I have is cheap and perfect for my needs.

If you can spare an additional $100, I would buy a Nexus 5 from Google. It comes unlocked and will work with T-Mobile without any issues. You get a phone that spec wise is top of the line and you're also running stock Android and you'll be getting the latest updates right away too.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:57 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,625,221 times
Since you are on T-Mobile, you have to pay attention to which frequency bands the phone supports unless you buy a phone that was originally sold by them. TMO uses 1700 MHz to carry their broadband traffic, except in a few markets where they have added broadband to the 1900 MHz band. Most phones sold by other carriers don't support 1700 MHz.

For example, I am also on TMO and have an HTC One. The One sold by every other carrier (and the development version sold in the Play Store) only has 850/1900/2100 MHz. If I had purchased it from another source, it would only get 3G and even then only in markets where TMO has added broadband to the 1900 MHz band. Everywhere else would be EDGE.

I'd also be wary of buying secondhand phones, because the original owner could report it lost/stolen and then you are left with a phone that won't work.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,204,843 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade but Why not just a new battery? Unless ... you have one of THOSE phones with a non-removable battery?? Tsk,tsk. I guess smartphones aren't such a smart purchase, are they?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,358,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Since you are on T-Mobile, you have to pay attention to which frequency bands the phone supports unless you buy a phone that was originally sold by them. TMO uses 1700 MHz to carry their broadband traffic, except in a few markets where they have added broadband to the 1900 MHz band. Most phones sold by other carriers don't support 1700 MHz.
Most major markets have been converted to 1900 MHz 3G:

Network modernization update | Coverage | T-Mobile Support

You can also look at the LTE coverage map. Any area that has been upgraded to LTE will support 3G on 1900 MHz.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:21 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,358,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade but Why not just a new battery? Unless ... you have one of THOSE phones with a non-removable battery?? Tsk,tsk. I guess smartphones aren't such a smart purchase, are they?
We get it. You don't like smart phones. Is it really necessary to state this on every single thread?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,204,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
We get it. You don't like smart phones. Is it really necessary to state this on every single thread?
This isn't even so much about the phone, as it is the battery according to the OP correct?? ARE there any smartphones which WILL allow you to replace just the battery??? Imagine the $$ you could save! If so, then I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones