Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 PM

73 posts, read 78,066 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions for anyone familiar with the Galaxy. I looked at the phone in the TMobile store and I like it and the specs look good. But before I lay out cash, a few questions:

1. What is the battery life like? The battery in my current phone sux. Maybe you can get an hour of browsing, talking or taking pictures at best. And the worst thing is that you cannot use the phone while it is charging because it will say "cannot charge phone due to excessive current' so you basically have to charge it on dark screen. And it takes forever to charge with a mobile charger. Are these issues with the Galaxy too? I want to be able to use the phone for at least 2 hours and I want to be able to talk while it is plugged into a charger.
2. My current phone is very hard to turn on after it goes dead. You have to hold the button on top of the phone down for like 25 seconds before it will turn on and then wait an eternity for it to boot up to use. I want a quick on button but I can accept the long boot up time.
3. I also want front and back cameras because I use Glide a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,814 times
There are like 30 galaxy phones. Which one?

Current galaxy phones (note 3, s5) have great battery life.

Boot times are quick enough I guess? I haven't heard anyone complain about that.

Almost all phones come with front and rear cams.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I'm going to assume you mean the S5. I have had mine for about a month now and I love it. The battery life is fantastic for a smart phone. My old phone never made it through a day of use, I get 2 days with similar use out of the S5. I'm not a heavy users, mostly texts, emails, some internet browsing. It wakes up very easily, just a quick press of the button. It does have a front and back camera. I haven't taken any photos using the front camera yet but the photos with the back camera are very good for a smartphone.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,033,958 times
If you're talking S4, the battery life is adequate, but pick up some spares off Amazon if you want to have ultimate convenience. I keep two batteries fully charged, for me and my wife, and while our S4s will last a full day of normal to medium-high usage, she forgot to charge hers the other day. Just slap in a new battery and you're good to go.

I'd say boot-up takes around 20 seconds to be usable, but it's still loading apps in the background.

The only thing that kills my battery is some app will pull up the GPS while I'm indoors and will not stop. Constant polling like that will kill the battery in about an hour sometimes. I'm thinking it's Cover, Aviate, IFTTT, or any other number of convenience apps I run.

But, the Galaxy line is great. Plastic workhorses. Very robust but getting a case on them is nearly mandatory to eliminate the shame associated with the cheezy battery cover. Or that is true for the S4.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Berry berry goood phone.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,147 times
My wife and I now have Galaxy Win's for a few months and we get a day and a half out of the battery. We also have a car charger in the car if needed and my wife carries an external battery that can be bought fairly inexpensive on EBAY or elsewhere.

If you do not have too many apps running, then battery will last the longest. I shut bluetooth when not in car and wifi off when not needed, the more items on, the worse the battery life will be.

Yes my phone can be charged when in use but it is probably not a good idea to talk a lot on a phone while it is being charged unless you have to.

Yes it has front and back cameras and the Win also allows two sim cards, so we can separate different types of phone calls or texts.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:05 PM

73 posts, read 78,066 times
Thank you. All of you. I am IN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones