U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 03:36 PM

248 posts, read 1,414,115 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if there was an app out there that would notify you via alert to when an 'email-only post' pops up on craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,292,078 times
What is an email-only post and why would anyone want to be alerted to it? And how would such an alert app work? Would it have to read all Craigslist ads constantly, searching for email-only ones? Or would you tell it what city to search in, and how often to search there? There is an implication of a large amount of data being downloaded to such an app, for it to search through that data. It might be a lot more cost-effective for the app to run on a PC or server, and send you the alerts.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,398 times
It'd be pretty easy to write a bot and have it email you or something, but yeah I don't know what an email only post is (is it flagged as such or just stated in the body of the listing?).

Old 05-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
It'd be pretty easy to write a bot and have it email you or something, but yeah I don't know what an email only post is (is it flagged as such or just stated in the body of the listing?).
What i mean is basically some craigslist posts dont have a number listed to call the individual but instead they ask to reply to there posts via email only. From what ive seen, there are apps that will send an alert every time a new listing appears but im trying find an app that actually gives an alert not only when a new listing appears but also that new listing is an 'email-only' reply type of posting. Hope i cleared that up.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,398 times
I guess I don't see the end goal of this. It would be pretty easy to make, you would just search the post and if it had a number, skip it. However I don't really see the benefit.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,533,943 times
Not sure what you're looking for but https://ifttt.com/ is what comes to mind.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I guess I don't see the end goal of this. It would be pretty easy to make, you would just search the post and if it had a number, skip it. However I don't really see the benefit.
Well the benefit is that we all know craigslist is mostly a 'first come first serve' bases. So when im searching in a certain category, and theres a good deal that pops out, if its a great deal its gone within a few minutes at times. Especially if theres a number listed the person that listed his number will at times gets flooded with calls. Well at times the person doesnt want to get harrassed with calls so he will post a reply via 'email-only' . And usually the first person that emails this person is usually the first person that gets responded to.

So im trying to be that first person basically. But until now i havent found a program that will actually alert you when an 'email-only' ad appears on craigslist.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,664,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
Well the benefit is that we all know craigslist is mostly a 'first come first serve' bases. So when im searching in a certain category, and theres a good deal that pops out, if its a great deal its gone within a few minutes at times. Especially if theres a number listed the person that listed his number will at times gets flooded with calls. Well at times the person doesnt want to get harrassed with calls so he will post a reply via 'email-only' . And usually the first person that emails this person is usually the first person that gets responded to.

So im trying to be that first person basically. But until now i havent found a program that will actually alert you when an 'email-only' ad appears on craigslist.
I am not sure if there is an app that offers this particular filter but most, if not all, "top" craigslist apps have the ability to search listings based on certain criteria of your choosing. There is an app for iPhone/iPad and Android, cPro it's called, that will alert you to new listings based on certain parameters set by you and this might be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or