Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,696,842 times

Advertisements

I buy what Tim tells me to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 27,715 times
I go with Iphone due to its great design. I just love it.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The theme of this thread is silly. It is like asking why some prefer Chocolate vs. Vanilla ice cream. They both do the same thing, just taste differently.
And, there are more choices!
I like Butter Pecan ice cream.

Windows Phone.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The theme of this thread is silly. It is like asking why some prefer Chocolate vs. Vanilla ice cream. They both do the same thing, just taste differently.
This pretty much sums up this thread...

Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,594,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seamless integration with all of my other Apple programs, and network of computers.
That. ^

Got my first iPhone last Sept... A 64GB 5s. It was shortly after I picked up a MB Air, 2 TB 802.11ac Time Capsule and Apple TV for the bedroom/living room.

There was nothing wrong with the Galaxy S3 that I had... I just wanted the integration of all my devices.

After 8 months I will say that iOS is MUCH smoother than Android with better apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I go with iOS because...

1) More stable
2) Better apps.
3) Vastly superior performance. None of the UI stuttering and audio cutting out that plagues even flagship Android phones. I don't have to kill tasks and restart my iPhone, my battery doesn't randomly run down to zero, and some random process doesn't spiral out of control and turn my phone into a space heater on a regular basis.
4) Hardware design decisions are actually thought out. Take the fingerprint reader. On the iPhone, it just works; I can smash my thumb on it any way I want. Then take the Galaxy S5's imitation - it requires touching the screen and home button and swiping straight down and you need two hands to do it. Fast and easy vs slow and a pain to use.
5) Doesn't come stuffed full of random crap that can't be removed and custom skins that are terrible and kill performance.
That too. ^

Old 05-08-2014, 11:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
There was nothing wrong with the Galaxy S3 that I had... I just wanted the integration of all my devices.
But what is embarrassing is that after becoming Dos wizard, and a master Widows fixer (I could play in a registry for days) having switched to Apple after OS 10.1, I am now a complete OS idiot, why cause I don't have to know any of that of stuff anymore. Now I sit at my desk running two Mac Pros, a Macbook Pro, two printers, four external hard drives, and a Raid array downloading downloading video, photo files and art work and I don't have to worry about incompatibility, unlike some of our knucklehead clients who we can't send files via email because their Windows mail client keeps converting them into bitmaps and other nonsense. So why on earth would I break the chain of functionality?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:32 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,647,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But what is embarrassing is that after becoming Dos wizard, and a master Widows fixer (I could play in a registry for days) having switched to Apple after OS 10.1, I am now a complete OS idiot, why cause I don't have to know any of that of stuff anymore. Now I sit at my desk running two Mac Pros, a Macbook Pro, two printers, four external hard drives, and a Raid array downloading downloading video, photo files and art work and I don't have to worry about incompatibility, unlike some of our knucklehead clients who we can't send files via email because their Windows mail client keeps converting them into bitmaps and other nonsense. So why on earth would I break the chain of functionality?
To be perfectly fair, a LOT has changed in Windows in 13 years.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,508,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
What can a person do with an IPhone that they cannot do with an android and what can a person do with an android that they cannot do with an IPhone.

I have been using androids and now my friend gave me an IPhone 4 to play with and to me it seems like a pain, am I wrong?
Depends on what you're used to. I find the android less user friendly.

What sold me on my first smart phone was the quality of the build and display. My iPhone 4 was great I replaced the 4 with a 5 last October. I see no reason to go android and a number of reasons to not go android.

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-08-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,821,141 times
I *think*, it goes like this:
If you are NOT *familiar* with either, then an IPhone sounds more *sophisticated*
Anything starting with *I* does ... and it usually takes more potatoes to fork over !

When it comes to getting a car, one might *like* to have a BMW rather than a Ford, no ?
Having a BMW sounds more sophisticated.
I am willing to bet, if the Igroupe will make a car named The Icar,
there will be a whole slew of Ifans going for it !
Whether the thing would be good or not !

But once you get either one of them,
then as always, mankind gets used to everything,
even hanging from a rope around your neck !
After a few seconds, you do not complain any more.

Then the slamming starts --- mine is better then yours ...
And that is not just between phones !
One of those obnoxious human traits

What would be interesting, is to see out of let's say 1000 *smart* phones,
how may are IPhone type, and how many use the Android OS ?
IF ... , big if ... , more Android types, then that does not mean better !!!

My son has a few electronic *gadgets* in his household.
One Iphone, and two Android based ones.
Iphone, because his job provided him with one.
Androids because they were *free* ...
He has 4 laptops in his household.
1 MAC, because his job issued him one.
3 Windows based, because they did the job for a lesser cost.

In my household, all windows based or Android stuff.
Why ? Cheap ... aka *free* (at least you think so ...)
Laptops - free !!
If you have kids who always need the latest and the greatest,
you end up with some pretty good hand me downs !

In the end, to each his own.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,839,303 times
I have used Android and iPhone (currently using iPhone). To me they are the same. Both have apps. Both make and receive calls. Both have GPS. Both take pictures. Both get hacked. You get the picture. It's like Ford and Chevy. I'm not loyal to any company. I may go to Windows phone. Windows phone needs the Strava app, though!!

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones