Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:39 AM

477 posts, read 800,738 times

Advertisements

Another thread got me thinking. Why do people own expensive phones when there are cheaper ones that do the same thing? My husband has an iPhone and I think it's a waste of money. If you have an expensive phone, why did you buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Your question is like asking why people buy Lexus autos when Toyota also makes cheaper autos. Most folks consider an expensive smartphones as a status symbol. To each their own.

While we are at it, why don't we use the same type of phones that were sold in 2001 without cameras, color displays, only 10 digit displays, etc.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,020 times
Because we can.

Actually many of the expensive phones have nifty options in them that can make life easier. For instance I have a dual sim phone because my wife and I live in two countries, so I can have both sims active while in the US to receive texts from friends and family in the Philippines.

Also on androids or Iphones there are apps which can be downloaded so phone calls back to the US are free while on wifi in those foreign countries or even so you do not go over your minutes while in the US.

Then of course there is the better quality cameras that some people use and then send photos to friends, I get emailed pictures all the time from friends with fancy phones and enjoy them since they were taken spur of the moment when not everyone carries a camera.

Also my phone doubles as a tablet when on wifi (since I do not pay for data), so I can look things up such as movies when having dinner or email when out and about, since more and more places we go seem to have wifi.

A calendar that sinks is also handy to have so people can enter appointments and have them sink to partners phones.

Anyway that is the general idea but yes as already written some people have them for status symbols, for me it is a tool and I buy the least expensive one that does the job I need it to, so no Iphones for me.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 AM

477 posts, read 800,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Because we can.

Actually many of the expensive phones have nifty options in them that can make life easier. For instance I have a dual sim phone because my wife and I live in two countries, so I can have both sims active while in the US to receive texts from friends and family in the Philippines.

Also on androids or Iphones there are apps which can be downloaded so phone calls back to the US are free while on wifi in those foreign countries or even so you do not go over your minutes while in the US.

Then of course there is the better quality cameras that some people use and then send photos to friends, I get emailed pictures all the time from friends with fancy phones and enjoy them since they were taken spur of the moment when not everyone carries a camera.

Also my phone doubles as a tablet when on wifi (since I do not pay for data), so I can look things up such as movies when having dinner or email when out and about, since more and more places we go seem to have wifi.

A calendar that sinks is also handy to have so people can enter appointments and have them sink to partners phones.

Anyway that is the general idea but yes as already written some people have them for status symbols, for me it is a tool and I buy the least expensive one that does the job I need it to, so no Iphones for me.
Besides for having two sim cards, I think most phones do what you say. I know a lot of people with cheap phones with internet access who can do all of those things. The camera is mixed. I know people with cheap phones who take good pictures and people with expensive phones who take terrible pictures. I've also noticed when people drop their phones (as many do irregardless of price) on a cheap phone nothing seems to happen or very minor wear. On an expensive phone (particularly iPhones) the camera is the first to go.

As you said, you can do what you like. I just want to know why. I really don't think there is a difference in 2014. It's not like the years of smart phones vs regular ole phones. All phones now a days have internet (and through this app) access and a camera. The iPhone has GPS and so does my free phone I got for renewing our contract.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:06 AM

5,017 posts, read 7,221,289 times
I paid $99 for my iPhone with 32 gig. Not much money, IMO.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I paid $99 for my iPhone with 32 gig. Not much money, IMO.
Which probably means you're paying a fortune every month for the service it connects to. I prefer the model of expensive phone, inexpensive service, because it tends to give me a lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) in the long run.

In my case, I paid $150 for my phone and $35 a month for my service. A postpaid version of my provider offers the same phone for free, but wants $70 a month for service. With a $35 a month difference in monthly cost, every month past the 5th month that I keep my phone saves me money.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:25 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Besides for having two sim cards, I think most phones do what you say. I know a lot of people with cheap phones with internet access who can do all of those things. The camera is mixed. I know people with cheap phones who take good pictures and people with expensive phones who take terrible pictures. I've also noticed when people drop their phones (as many do irregardless of price) on a cheap phone nothing seems to happen or very minor wear. On an expensive phone (particularly iPhones) the camera is the first to go.

As you said, you can do what you like. I just want to know why. I really don't think there is a difference in 2014. It's not like the years of smart phones vs regular ole phones. All phones now a days have internet (and through this app) access and a camera. The iPhone has GPS and so does my free phone I got for renewing our contract.
I got a newer iPhone recently, mainly because it can run Garageband, which means I can write songs and record ideas (with access to tons of sounds and a good microphone) right on my phone. I can also connect a keyboard to my phone and use it as a "brain" for the keys for live performance.

I also like having generous storage space, so I can store plenty of music and video.

The other stuff- a good screen for better internet browsing, better camera, voice recognition, more available apps, is just gravy, but seeing as how I use my phone the way a lot of people used a laptop ten years ago, its nice.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post

Less expensive phones usually have a smaller screen which is harder on my eyes, the one I have is 4.7 inches which makes it easier to use as a tablet to look things up. Also the phone I picked has a Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A5 processor which makes doing many things much faster than a cheaper phone.

As for wear or damage from dropping, I always put a gel case on all our phones, thus they have never gotten damaged from dropping, not that they can't, just that they haven't for us.

I usually keep my phones for a long time, thus a good phone MAY last longer, I know mine have over the years.

As for free phones, no phone is free, you pay for it in your contract, so while you pay monthly, I only pay $100 a year and get 1000 minutes of talk time and can add if need be, so I buy my phones instead of paying the large monthly bill, so which phone comes out to cost less in the long run, yours that was free with a 2 year contract which ends up costing big bucks over the 2 years or mine that I paid for outright and can use whatever provider I wish to and without a contract.

Life is all about choices, I do not spend that much time on my phone on phone calls when out and about and when home I use a Magic Jack which gives me unlimited calling included, so again one time cost for over 5.5 years of unlimited use and I use a Magic Jack application on my android whenever on wifi and out and about, so again no costs to make calls.

Obviously your husband must think his Iphone was worth buying or he wouldn't have bought it, have you asked him why, I am curious what his reason may have been?

Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 PM

384 posts, read 349,346 times
Even the expensive phones are so affordable that it doesn't really make a difference. Not everyone is obsessed with money that they're going to watch how to save a hundred or two on a gadget.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:06 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,270 times
I don't have a nice phone because it's a "status symbol" - I got one cause slow, small phones are annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones