Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I couldn't imagine doing so. I've had a few Android phones before I got my iPhone. I couldn't imagine going back. The iPhone is just so much better.
Disagree.

Maybe you just had the cheap crappy ones.

I am over the moon with my MotoX. My wife has had iphones since day one and loves her "smart phone for dumb people.". In the end, her complaints are the same as other people (coworkers, friends) who are happy they switched - more versatility, better battery life, better maintained connections and connection speeds, better phone quality/fewer dropped calls...

It is no coincidence that regardless of the provider, if all of us start looking something up at the same time, I always " win."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
The Razr does lag at times, but whenever its doing this I find that my wife has lots of apps open at once and the phone is warm so I know its been in use for a long time. I clear everything out, restart it, and it works just fine. But - both of her Iphones would occasionally do the same thing.
If by "at times" you mean "all the time" then sure. It's okay for about five minutes after rebooting then quickly starts degrading.

I just wasted about ten minutes pulling the battery out of my Android phone and trying to get it to boot after the ringer stopped working and it stopped letting me know that I had text messages. That's something that happens on a routine basis. And it's not just my phone.

Know how many times I've had to power off my iPhone to get it to work properly? Once. Ever. And I've had one on and off since the iPhone 3GS. The only app that somewhat routinely misbehaves on my iPhone is Google Play Music.

iOS 7 on the 5S had some initial hiccups and the device itself could use more RAM, but the issues are nothing compared to the problems that have plagued every single android device I've ever touched or watched others use. Actually I take that back. I have seen one Android device that appeared to be working properly. It was a Moto X and the owner had just bought it the previous day.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
???? Reboot your phone to make it work?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,863,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Threads like this always bring about the good old "everyone I know does X" or "I hate X because it always did Y 500 times a day" - best to just ignore it and try to find fact in the post, or at least a dependable topic and debate those items instead. Anecdotal evidence is very easy to exaggerate over the internet.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,099,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakelandFLNative View Post
Just curious if there are any long-term iPhone users who have switched to an Android phone and is happy with their switch? I'd love to know which phone and what your reason are one way or the other. Thanks!
We have a few samsung phones I would almost pay you to take out of our home.
Neither of us liked any of them we tried and we kept them for over a month.
Dropped calls, no logic to the app screens, couldn't find a danged thng when we needed it.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,519,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes this has to be done at times. Clears out the memory to start fresh. Shouldnt have to do it but you do. Same thing occurs with PCs, though not nearly so much now as 10-15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If by "at times" you mean "all the time" then sure. It's okay for about five minutes after rebooting then quickly starts degrading.

I just wasted about ten minutes pulling the battery out of my Android phone and trying to get it to boot after the ringer stopped working and it stopped letting me know that I had text messages. That's something that happens on a routine basis. And it's not just my phone.

Know how many times I've had to power off my iPhone to get it to work properly? Once. Ever. And I've had one on and off since the iPhone 3GS. The only app that somewhat routinely misbehaves on my iPhone is Google Play Music.

iOS 7 on the 5S had some initial hiccups and the device itself could use more RAM, but the issues are nothing compared to the problems that have plagued every single android device I've ever touched or watched others use. Actually I take that back. I have seen one Android device that appeared to be working properly. It was a Moto X and the owner had just bought it the previous day.
All I know is that my wife often uses her Razr constantly after work and on weekends, running app after app, calling, texting, on Facebook, email, multiple games going, web searches, Youtube, all at the same time, sometimes for several hours - rarely does it slow down. The reboots are not needed often, probably 5-6 times since she got the phone in March 2013. I think there was one game that was a problem app, either it updated or she stopped playing it recently, Ive only had to help her with it one time so far this year. Also there was a system upgrade this spring that may have helped.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 PM

304 posts, read 368,991 times
I went the other way, former Android user turned iPhone user. My last Android was the Samsung Galaxy S4, switched to iPhone 5s. Happier with iPhone overall and no plans to return to Android.

Both devices made a call well and good. The difference was in the quality of the apps and the overall experience with them. I also like my iPad, however I recently used a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and *THAT* is the killer device, which single handedly kills the iPad, the MacBook, Android tablets, and most other laptops IMO. I haven't even used a Windows Phone but if they are as good as the Surface Pro 3 I might make one my next phone. Happy with the iPhone 5s in the meantime.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 AM

147 posts, read 211,236 times
I just got a Dell Windows tablet today and am LOVING it. Pleasantly surprised. I avoided android because I didn't want to go back and forth on 3 platforms since I already have a Win8 PC and an iPhone. Makes me kinda wish there were some decent windows phone options out there.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakelandFLNative View Post
I just got a Dell Windows tablet today and am LOVING it. Pleasantly surprised. I avoided android because I didn't want to go back and forth on 3 platforms since I already have a Win8 PC and an iPhone. Makes me kinda wish there were some decent windows phone options out there.
Nokia builds some really, really good Windows phones.

The hardware is there. The OS is there. The only thing that isn't there is the app selection. When (if) that situation improves a bit I'll head back to WP. I'm generally not a Windows guy, but WP is exactly what a smartphone OS should be.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,540,066 times
I have owned and am a fan of both. At the same time both have their pros and cons. A few months back I purchased the Iphone 5s and exchanged it for an HTC One for the following reasons:

1. I hate apples proprietary charging cables. Not only are they cheaply made, they cost a fortune. At $30 per cable I'll end up spending an additional $60 as I will need one for the car and work. With the HTC as with all android phones, they charge via micro usb which I have tons of.

2. The build quality on the HTC One is just as solid as the Iphone. Not to mention at 4.7", I find that to be the sweetspot when it comes to phone size.

3. I can customize my HTC to my preference. Dont like the stock keyboard? Download a different one to your liking. Cant do that on the Iphone.

4. For some reason I have yet to own an iphone that doesnt take cloudy pics at night with flash. Dont know what it is but it also happens to everyone else I know who owns an iphone.

5. I'm not a fan of itunes/icloud. Its just not very user friendly in my opinion. I much prefer google play and google drive. I can sign in to my gmail account and everything from my documents to music to pictures is there.

6. Bargain. I was able to get my HTC One on sale for $50 via Verizon with a 2yr contract whereas the Iphone was $200. For $150 less the HTC came out the box with 32gb vs 16gb on the iphone. On top of that the HTC is equipped with dual front facing beats audio speakers that sound amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones