U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:14 AM

376 posts, read 493,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
Games like words with friends have optional purchases. I play it without having to purchase anything and without having to sign into facebook or anything.
+1 Words w Friends, Scrabble, Word Feud, are all fun word games, where you can play for free and play random players, you don't need to play your fb friends only. But check your settings so that every word you play doesn't end up being posted on your wall

gems with friends is pretty fun to play, it's fast as long as you aren't waiting for the opponent to play their turn. That is a game which you buy coins to increase your value of the gems, or if you work it, just take your free spins, and let your total get to 10,000 or more, then you will be able to compete with some that like to buy big piles of coins to crush unsuspecting players. It's a great game when you are waiting for appointments, even just before bed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,275,138 times
I will check out Words w Friends, Scrabble, and Word Feud,thanks.

I thought Despicable Me: Minion Rush by Gameloft sounded adorable until I read a 1-star review at Amazon that warned "This application uses a lot of permissions including the ability to start automatically when your system boots (even if you don't want it to run), accessing shared data such as contact lists (even if you don't want it to), and communicating over the Internet. That could be harmless or it could be a mechanism that allows the developers to collect information about you for their use or possible resale."

I'm not about to download spyware like that!

Also thought my granddaughter and I would enjoy Nemo's Reef until I read "As time passed the goal of this little freebee is how to get you to buy, buy, buy.90% of treasure chests cost you more than you spent, every task wants you to use your resources for no gain, and the final disappointment is now my game is non-functional. The lesson to learn here is not about how a reef and fish interact, but how much money the developers can dupe you out of before the game crashes."

That is why I refuse to get those "pay to play" games that they falsely call FREE!

Game developers SUCK anymore,seems these money-sucking games are the ONLY type of casual game they want to make nowdays.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 AM

14,618 posts, read 16,648,446 times
Because all games should be FREE, right??

Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,231,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yep ... developers should be creating software for the betterment and entertainment of mankind, and shouldn't be greedy.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,633,899 times
I don't know about the games you listed, but check out "Where's My Water", "Angry Birds", and "Cut the Rope". All of these are free on the Google Play Store right now, and they were all pretty popular at one time. All of these games involve some problem-solving aspect that will get you thinking as you progress to higher levels.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM

542 posts, read 639,657 times
You could look into Temple Run. I don't own a smartphone myself but I played it on my sister's iPhone and it was pretty fun. I'm guessing it works for all devices - the website to download the different versions is here. Harbor Master was also fun.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Did I say that?!

I would much rather pay outright for a game than be lied to about it being free then not able to progress unless you buy a crapload of stuff continuously!

Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 PM

Thank you Geneyus and Tatoonie for the suggestions.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM

14,618 posts, read 16,648,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Did I say that?!
Re-reading your post AGAIN it sure seems like it. My apologies.

You've had a smartphone for a week. There are more then a BILLION apps in the Google Play store. To judge and summarily dismiss all of them because of 2? Stop.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Re-reading your post AGAIN it sure seems like it. My apologies.

You've had a smartphone for a week. There are more then a BILLION apps in the Google Play store. To judge and summarily dismiss all of them because of 2? Stop.
From what I have read for months is that the vast majority of apps are totally unnecessary,and I am coming to believe almost none are free of SPYWARE,so that I am better off leaving that crap off my phone and just play my games on my laptop as I do now. Really the only reason I got the smartphone was for the cameras,and convenience/emergency calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones