Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

Just got a new Nexus 5 phone only to realize it has no (easily) replaceable battery. So I'll need some tips to extend the life of the battery as much as reasonably possible.

I heard that unplugging the phone early as possible after it's fully charged is a good idea since the battery will lose trivial amounts of power over the hours prompting it to be recharged repeatedly many times. On the other hand, I also heard that letting the battery level run too low (say to 1/3 of capacity) too often will also hurt battery life. It seems fully charging the battery once or twice a day (and not overnight since you can't be there to unplug) might be the most optimal strategy.

Is there any truth or statistical significance to these claims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:16 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
No.
Leaving your phone plugged in overnight is perfectly acceptable and will lead to zero appreciable battery degradation.

Ask Deemable Tech: Is Leaving My Phone Plugged In All Night Bad For The Battery? | WJCT NEWS

Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Doesn't matter if it's a phone, camera, flashlight, drill/driver, or a trickle charger on a car battery. When a battery is charged, it's finished. Doesn't matter if you leave the charger connected or not. All batteries discharge even when not using them. [a lot slower of course] If you don't want to constantly charge the battery, leave the phone 'off'.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Bear in mind your battery has X number of charge/discharge cycles. Usually 400 to 500 before the battery starts to noticeably degrade. Topping it off uncessarily uses up one of those cycles. My son kept topping off his Galaxy S3 and the battery died after two years.

From what I read, let you battery get down to 20% for everyday stuff before charging. Of course there are times when topping off makes sense. Like before a trip.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
If the N5 is the same as the N4, once it reaches full charge it stops charging completely and will not charge again until it's unplugged then plugged in again, it does not trickle charge. So it will charge to full then stop, if left on the charger the battery will eventually drop to the point where the phone will shut off.

Many Android devices work this way.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My son kept topping off his Galaxy S3 and the battery died after two years.
This. No matter how you treat you battery, generally speaking, they start to degrade around 18-24 months. Nothing you do is going to change that. Motorola will replace your battery for you. It's a pain but it only takes 3-4 days and isn't very expensive actually. Other companies will do the same.

Certainly one thing to not worry about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones