Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

A few years back I noticed on my caller ID ( land line) about 8 phone calls from the same number.

I didn't recognize the #, but I dialed that number out of curiosity.

An older gent with a Mexican accent started screaming at me and asking why I was calling him many times a day.

I never figured that one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
I am getting calls like that. I just downloaded Mr. Number and it blocks all of that mess. How are these people even getting our phone numbers? It's annoying!!!!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 722 times
Hello! I know it's been a while since these posts, but I just have to speak out. This drives me CRAZY!!! It should be illegal. Some people, or companies, are sponging off of the phone number I pay for, like a leech! You pay for your number too. We shouldn't have to stand for this. I've called AT & T and the Federal Trade Commission for fraud, but they didn't really help. I hate that "we" have become sheep and there seems to be no recourse. We shouldn't have to block numbers. We are blindly lead through so many things in life, and it's becoming worse. The government and corporations are trying to get complete control. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but over the years advertising, the media, and government have been insidiously changing society. We have to be more aware and speak up for ourselves. I can go on and on, but I'm sure you readers would hate that and this is about phone calls. This phone thing is just another part of the control though. If we remain silent it will only continue and get worse. It is not okay. Thank you! And remember, fight the good fight.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:53 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Keep in mind, most of the scumbags who spoof phone #'s like this are based outside the US. There is little to nothing the FTC or the carrier can do to prevent it as folks outside the US are difficult to prosecute. I am not excusing this, but I am realistic and pick my battles carefully, knowing which ones I have a chance to win vs. the ones that I am guaranteed to lose.

There are "Do Not Call" lists setup by the Feds and state governments, but they can be difficult to enforce if the guilty party is out of their jurisdiction.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 PM

323 posts, read 221,782 times
Totally normal and no you can't do a darn thing about it! Maybe you should learn Spanish.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:42 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I am getting calls like that. I just downloaded Mr. Number and it blocks all of that mess. How are these people even getting our phone numbers? It's annoying!!!!
They don't "get" our numbers. They are simply going down a sequential list and dialing everybody and it's done by a computer. So they would dial 555-0001, 0002, 0003 and so on. If someone answers they know it's someone on the other end that at least will pick up and they will flag that number as a good one so that they can exploit it further. That's why I don't pickup anything I don't recognize. They most likely sell their lists among each other. It's a real PITA, I know but...

This is easy to deal with on a cell phone. Newer versions of Android have the blocking feature built in. If they don't, just get Mr. Number. I'm sure Apple has similar apps. Mr. Number is nice because if someone has reported that number as spam, it will detect that, and block it for you automatically.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
They do it because if you get a call outside your area code, from an area code you don't recognize, you won't pick up. Whereas, if you get a call from your area code and exchange - even if you don't recognize the number - it could be a neighbor, a local business you deal with, etc.

I'm fortunate in that I have my same cell number since the dawn of time. What's that rule? Your mobile area code is proof of where you lived in 2003? Well, I've thankfully since moved and whenever I get a call from that area code and exchange... there's only two people I know that would call me from there. So, I ignore all those calls. Albeit, it does stink to have to check my phone all the time from people calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones