Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM

847 posts, read 764,575 times

Advertisements

I can understand waiting in line to get a Phone if there was shortage of supply.

I also would understand if the product was offered at a significantly cheaper price.

but really why do people with perfectly good phones go and wait in a line in Apple Stores to get a phone.

If the press releases are any indication this is phone won't alter the course of your life.

If my assumptions are correct why do people go and wait hours in a line to get a phone?

Can't they just wait a week to get it without queuing in front Temple of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,298 posts, read 80,577,144 times
Absolutely not. In fact, I get a new phone every two years and always order on-line and wait for the Fedex delivery. There are very few things I would ever wait in line for. Can't think of any at the moment. Apple fanatics are . . .well, Apple fanatics!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:23 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,722,667 times
This is something that I will never understand. I guess it is the same mentality of people that wait in line for a new movie opening the night before.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,837,125 times
I would feel like an absolute loser for waiting in line for a smartphone. This is something that I can wait to purchase when the euphoria wears down. I don't need to be among the first to have the phone. Who cares? Now, waiting in line to buy tickets to Game 7 of the World Series is a whole different story.

-Cheers.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM

61,411 posts, read 86,419,982 times
Depends how long is the line and how long is to wait, but generally - No. And never ever overnight, no matter what they would give away...

Old 09-19-2014, 06:56 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,035,535 times
For all of you that waited on a line for hours to buy a phone, a question ''do you feel better?'

Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times
Perhaps when I was younger but not now.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,703,487 times
I would never wait in line a phone, black Friday sales, etc... I would rather wait.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,903,126 times
I did for the iPhone 5s.... Lol!!!

I had an iPhone 3GS that was in its last legs... Really it was. The Monday before the new iphone release I lost my 3GS... Couldn't believe that no one turned In my raggedy phone....

So now I was with no phone at all!

So I had every intention of picking up the new release iPhone on the day of the release without waiting in line.

I checked with AT&T store several days in advance and… No lines.

The morning of the release I dressed in gym workout clothes and head for the gym at 5 AM.
As I'm driving by the AT&T store the parking lot was packed
I realized that if I didn't get in line at that point I would not be getting the phone on that day.
Without hesitation I park my car got in line in 42° weather wearing nothing but capris a workout T-shirt and gym shoes

I was freezing!

The thing about "Apple fanboys " is that they are very nice people!
People sleeping bags, they had Parkas on, blankets, stadium blankets... All sorts of things to keep warm.,,

I had nothing but my little skimpy workout clothes.
Thankfully Someone let me use their sleeping bag to wrap up in.

At close to 730 the AT&T store came out with donuts and coffee from Dunkin' Donuts for all of us while we were waiting in line.

I enjoyed the vibe and the whole experience and I'm so glad that I did it!!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 PM

735 posts, read 651,421 times
Filthy iPeasants will do anything to get their grubby hands on the new Crapple device first so they can brag about it to their friends.

:P

No, but really, I don't see the point of waiting in line for any phone unless there's some crazy deal on it. I can stand waiting a week after a phone is released to buy it in peace. Or I could, you know, order it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones