Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think one can buy simcards (rather than cellphones) at many international airports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
They are really big outside of the US and Canada, however even in the us and canada most gas stations, walmarts, 711s sell them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
I have seen them sold at a few airports here in the US by small vendors in the airports. Sometimes you might not realize they are selling them and walk right past them in a moving crowd. They are there though.
The problem is that there are no vendors of any type in the immigration area, and none in the baggage area right outside. Arrival into a foreign airport is all business and no shopping. I guess the only thing I can do is buy a phone at some retailer when I next go to Canada and then use it on subsequent visits. It's possible I could buy one here in the US but would it work in Canada? I'll have to look into it.

All I want is some way to connect with family who is picking me up when I arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 03:18 AM

46 posts, read 45,285 times
Default burner phones

I was in at Bestbuy the other day and the guy selling flip-phones said you can't buy phones that you can get air-time without using a credit or debit card, i.e.: burner phones. He said you have to add air-time by buying it online, thus using plastic. However, I just looked at the walmart website and they sell pre-paid cards and phones. What's to stop me from going in there and paying cash for one? (I'm just curious from a libertarian standpoint).

Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I am curious how one goes about phoning in an anonymous tip?

Can't use a pay phone any longer and who would pay for a "burner phone" just to phone in a tip to a police hotline, etc.?

If a phone can be traced in any way, you could end up embroiled in a trial, promised anonymity or not.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublet View Post
I was in at Bestbuy the other day and the guy selling flip-phones said you can't buy phones that you can get air-time without using a credit or debit card, i.e.: burner phones. He said you have to add air-time by buying it online, thus using plastic. However, I just looked at the walmart website and they sell pre-paid cards and phones. What's to stop me from going in there and paying cash for one? (I'm just curious from a libertarian standpoint).
Get a prepaid Visa card with cash. Use a VPN service for browsing to the site.

Also, if you just want a burner number (for dating or giving out to retailers) then there are apps for that.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 PM

175 posts, read 366,431 times
Quote:
Nothing, he was wrong. Walmart, you can but a cheap Tracfone and an airtime card with cash, no problem.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:51 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Why would you even think that? Crazy.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
If you get an ATT "burner" you can go into a store and reload it at a kiosk using cash.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Im actually surprised the powers that be, and the major cell phone companies have not stepped in and stopped the selling of phones and service like this, seems like they would want to limit how anonymous someone can be when it comes to cell phones.

But I guess ultimately they have methods of data gathering and spying that can root these people out, and the general public is just not aware of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones