Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:37 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
And there we have it. "Bendgate" debunked for the joke that it was.

Seems it was all about ad revenue. The Youtube guy made a cool $200K off the gullible people buying into this garbage. Macrumors made quite a bit off the clicks they guy from creating the initial story too. Funny thing is that they ran the story based off unconfirmed reports from just 4 iPhone users.

Bad news about Apple appears to be a lucrative business. Maybe I should buy a 6S next year and find something to claim is wrong with it to make a quick buck too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 11:35 AM

847 posts, read 766,922 times
One thing that I find flawed about all these bend tests (for all the phones.) is that they just look at the appearance of the phone.

I never see them testing various things (maybe they do and spare us the details.)

They don't test GPS.
Audio Stack
Camera
Flash
Accelerometer.
various other sensors.
GSM (2 G Data only)
WCDMA Data only.
Wifi.

There Number of ICs on a phone. There is a distinct possibility that a slight bend can damage only one of those IC or it's bus, soldered connection to something.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Bend Test - Consumer Reports News

Glad I got the 6+, because it's actually STRONGER than the 6.

Imagine that.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Good stuff, thanks. Interesting that the 5 tested significantly better than the 6. That might explain some of the backlash from customers that upgraded. They treat the 6 the same as the 5, yet while the 5 remained sturdy, the 6 easily bent.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:01 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,147 times
Samsung is getting some mileage out of Apple's "Bendgate" issue to promote one of its own intentionally curved smartphones.

Samsung jabs at 'Bendgate' to tout its Galaxy Note Edge - CNET

Old 09-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
They treat the 6 the same as the 5, yet while the 5 remained sturdy, the 6 easily bent.
What's your definition of "easily?" I just don't buy into that guy putting it in his front pocket and bending the phone.

For all we know he was a 350 lb pile of lard that had it in his back pocket while he was attempting to do sit-ups.

I've seen the consumer reports tests... Sure you can bend it if you try hard enough... And the same can be said for the other phones. Not happening under normal wear and tear though... I upgraded from the 5s to the 6+ and went with a case from Ballistic for both phones. Bending isn't a concern. I treat my phones like the $850-$950 devices that they are...

Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
What's your definition of "easily?" I just don't buy into that guy putting it in his front pocket and bending the phone.

For all we know he was a 350 lb pile of lard that had it in his back pocket while he was attempting to do sit-ups.

I've seen the consumer reports tests... Sure you can bend it if you try hard enough... And the same can be said for the other phones. Not happening under normal wear and tear though... I upgraded from the 5s to the 6+ and went with a case from Ballistic for both phones. Bending isn't a concern. I treat my phones like the $850-$950 devices that they are...
It takes around an extra 50-60 lbs of pressure to bend the 5 than the 6. You dont think its happening, but i think its plausible that if you carried a 6 in the front/back pocket in the same way you carried a 5 that it could bend easier because it takes less force and the extra size provides more leverage.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
It takes around an extra 50-60 lbs of pressure to bend the 5 than the 6. You dont think its happening, but i think its plausible that if you carried a 6 in the front/back pocket in the same way you carried a 5 that it could bend easier because it takes less force and the extra size provides more leverage.
Think about what would have to occur for you to hit 100lbs in your front pocket. For what it's worth the HTC M8 also deformed at the same amount of pressure required for the 6, and the 6+ fared even better.

This bendgate crap is just hyped up bull. The phone is thinner, you should treat it as such and not sit on your phone or do anything that involves putting excessive amounts of force on your phone. Your front pocket should not put 100lbs of pressure on anything.

If I have a phone in my front pocket and I feel like it is pushing against my leg too much, I take it out... because that's what a smart consumer would do (PS that has yet to occur because my pockets are big enough to accommodate.)

My iPhone 6 has been in my front pocket daily with a case because what idiot runs around without a case? Oh wait... that's right, idiots!

Gee I wonder what will happen if I drop the phone from 10 ft flat on it's face... oh crap it broke! Cheap peace of poorly constructed crap!

Old 09-28-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

This bendgate crap is just hyped up bull. The phone is thinner, you should treat it as such and not sit on your phone or do anything that involves putting excessive amounts of force on your phone. Your front pocket should not put 100lbs of pressure on anything.

My iPhone 6 has been in my front pocket daily with a case because what idiot runs around without a case? Oh wait... that's right, idiots!

Gee I wonder what will happen if I drop the phone from 10 ft flat on it's face... oh crap it broke! Cheap peace of poorly constructed crap!

Yep... I run with a Ballistic case.. had it on my 5s, got one for my 6+. Corner protection with a raised edge to prevent the phone from ever landing flat on the screen should it ever be dropped. Drop protection up to 6 feet.

$30.

Worth it for a $950 device? I think so.

I've never been one to carry a phone in a front pocket... (shirt pocket yes, pants no) but I tried it yesterday for a bit with my 6+ and didn't have any issues. I'm 5'11 220 lbs and the phone had room to move when I was standing, walking and sitting. It was also parallel to my thigh. Bendgate? Whatever.

I've seen the people who said "OMG the iPhone is beautiful I don't use a case" and I'll go ahead and say that they are idiots. I treat my phone like the $950 device that it is.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:15 AM

735 posts, read 654,853 times
The idiots are the people who spend $950 on a subpar device.

But either way, if one is careful enough with their electronics, there is no need for a case. I haven't been using a case on my phone the past few weeks, does that make me an idiot? No, because I make sure to be careful with it and not drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones