Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times

Advertisements

Being from NE Wisconsin, Verizon almost never worked (north of Green Bay). So I switched to another carrier. No matter how I tried, the automated menu would just repeat itself from the beginning, if I tried pressing '0'. I rarely to never got a human on the phone either, always 'press 1 for this' then 'press 5 for that' by the time I finally got to the dept (after pressing about 4 more different links) I needed, my break time was over. Grrrrr!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Sorry to hear someone is having trouble with Verizon. I don't like the automated part of their phone system either, but I've never had trouble reaching a human. I might add, I've had nothing but excellent help from Verizon employees, once when I had to install and set up a range extender (I live in a 'black hole' no coverage area) and again when I changed my wife's phone to an IPhone. Both times I was on the phone for well over two hours before the correct solution was found, but they stuck with me until everything worked like it should. I was told that employees at the local store could not have helped me, they would have had to call for a level 2 technician just like I did.
I appreciated your post Nite Ryder. It's a soothing perspective.

I think my problems are of multiple cause.

People who fall into the Boomer, transitional phase seem to be the least able to adapt so a great deal of it is generational.

Another issue is an apparent lack of training in the social aspects of the service industry. Or perhaps it's just a change in where the emphasis should lie.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:16 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
If there's a phone-menu option that says "considering switching to T-Mobile" press that one. I bet you'd get a human mighty quick.

You could try calling the Verizon store directly. I've done that before.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Hi, I've been trying for five days now to get a human to talk to me at Verizon, with no luck, and I'd appreciate any input or advice.

We are on an auto pay plan using a Discover card that got compromised last week through no fault of our own (the Discover rep hinted that it may have happened through the Walmart.com website, but wasn't certain). After changing over all of our other auto pay accounts, like our newspaper subscription, DirecTV etc. (which took less than five minutes per account) I figured it would be a fairly simple thing to call Verizon and let them know that they card they have on file is invalid.

But nope, I can't get connected with a human to save my soul. I've tried several different numbers, even tried the gethuman web site, but the numbers they gave didn't get me through to anything but an automaton either.

I can't get onto the website to do it because some months ago, my husband's Verizon account was hijacked and Verizon's fraud investigator advised us to put a permanent lock on the online account so no one could get into it, including us. I tried calling a local Verizon store but the phone there rang and rang and then finally it cut me off. I will try several other store locations but the closest store to me is an hour away and I don't really think I should have to go to that much trouble and expense just in order to assure that they get paid.

Has anyone had any luck getting into their phone system? I am thinking that if I were able to go in person to the actual location, it would look a lot like the Borg ship from Star Trek.

Update: I just tried to call another local store and was instantly transferred to the same automated phone tree you get when calling the main 800 number. At this point the only reason I care at all about getting this information to them is that I do not want it to affect my credit rating. Otherwise, I would just let them whistle for their money. And if they tried to call me, I would pretend to be a robot.

Don't call a local store you have to use the 800 number, use the one that is listed on their site online.
You really don't need to notify them though, all you have to do is go to your online account and change the way you do your billing.

Why would you put a permanent lock on your online account? Change the password, change the billing information and that should suffice.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
PS ~~ When you get the voice telling you your options, keep saying "Customer Service", it will eventually put you through to a real person.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
If there's a phone-menu option that says "considering switching to T-Mobile" press that one. I bet you'd get a human mighty quick.
That option is under the "If you aren't happy with Verizon's coverage area and want coverage that is much worse" category.... option 8 I think.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:20 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Will the machine respond to a simple #$%*&@$#?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:17 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I had no problem getting a human on the line today. I wanted the online chat, but it wouldn't work. The 800 number did work though.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
What makes you think that talking to a human will solve your problem? Have you called any customer service centers lately?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I have generally gotten better support through chat than on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones