Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your cell phone encrypted?
Yes 6 24.00%
No 14 56.00%
I don't know what encryption is or why I would want it. 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times

Advertisements

This is more out of curiosity than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 AM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
No. I don't remember the specific reason why, but there was at least one drawback that made me not want to do it.

I've never lost a phone or had one stolen. I'm VERY careful about that kind of thing. If I were more of a klutz in that regard, I might deal with whatever drawback it has, but having a very low risk of losing my phone, I don't see the point.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:05 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Mine is, yes.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Yes. Android now enables it by default.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:12 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
No.
I use burner phones for all my nefarious activities.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:20 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No. I don't remember the specific reason why, but there was at least one drawback that made me not want to do it.

I've never lost a phone or had one stolen. I'm VERY careful about that kind of thing. If I were more of a klutz in that regard, I might deal with whatever drawback it has, but having a very low risk of losing my phone, I don't see the point.
^^^ This. I have pass code and secondary passwords on some apps. I am also very careful with my phone.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,076 times
"Encrypted"? I voted no. I don't have any anti-hacker apps installed. I haven't done anything special with my apps other than standard passwords and/or swipe codes.

I do however have touch ID as well as a 4 digit lock code on my 6+... and Find My iPhone will have it quickly in lost mode should anything ever happen.

It works too... on Memorial weekend I went camping with a friend and she left her iPad in the public bathroom. She went back 5 minutes later and it was gone. We logged in thru my phone and put it in lost mode with her phone number.

2 weeks later she got a call from a young lady who said she couldn't set up the iPad she had gotten off Craigslist because it was telling her to call this number... Apparently she had traded a Galaxy tablet for a shiny iPad... that didn't have a case, charger, or box.

If it's too good to be true...

She gave it back and said "that's the last time I trade for electronics on Craigslist."

Ya think?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:17 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
"Encrypted"? I voted no. I don't have any anti-hacker apps installed. I haven't done anything special with my apps other than standard passwords and/or swipe codes.

I do however have touch ID as well as a 4 digit lock code on my 6+... and Find My iPhone will have it quickly in lost mode should anything ever happen.

It works too... on Memorial weekend I went camping with a friend and she left her iPad in the public bathroom. She went back 5 minutes later and it was gone. We logged in thru my phone and put it in lost mode with her phone number.

2 weeks later she got a call from a young lady who said she couldn't set up the iPad she had gotten off Craigslist because it was telling her to call this number... Apparently she had traded a Galaxy tablet for a shiny iPad... that didn't have a case, charger, or box.

She gave it back and said "that's the last time I trade for electronics on Craigslist."

Ya think?
Your iPhone is encrypted by default.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:39 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

Ya think?
I hope your friend gave her at least a pittance for her troubles, that was very nice of her to give it back and it ended up leaving the girl with the bill. Everyone had a little bit of fault in the situation (friend for leaving it, thief for being a scumbag, girl for being naive) but she didn't deserve the whole loss so hopefully that wasn't the case. Sorry for OT.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Yes. Have since Android made it available.

Edit: I'm surprised that people feel the need to justify why they do or don't, as if the decision requires popular approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones