Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 09:32 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You really aren't going to tell him, are you?

OP: press and hold on a word. A little magnifying glass comes up. This allows you to choose a letter to fix.

And no... no one is being duped. I don't even understand your comment "all celebrities have iPhones...". Seriously? How many celebs do you know? RIdiculous statement.
I'm thinking maybe you were duped...
iPhones are for "people with money"?!?!? What?? I have no idea what commercials you are seeing but I think YOUR view of iPhone is a bit skewed.

I didn't even know they still SOLD an 8GB iPhone... wow. You should not have bought that... hell I wouldn't take that for free... which I am guessing is what you "paid" for yours?
Thanks for sharing that for the OP, Peregrine. Although it should be obvious cause anytime you press and hold to copy/paste the word with the cursor embedded where you've pressed shows up. But some stuff just isn't obvious to all especially those used to a different system. I've found that anytime my 60 year old blonde tech-less brain cannot figure something out intuitively on my iPhone all I have to do is a quick Google question and the answer is readily available. But most stuff I've figured out on my own by playing around.

Some people have iOS brains and others have Android brains. That's all.

And yes, 8GB is useless. There has to be some consumer responsibility although a salesperson who doesn't advise on that pitiful memory is not doing their job well and that has nothing to do with the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:40 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Does whatever system you're typing with do the job? Did you type that with your iPhone?
LOL, I think it was the Zagg keyboard connected to my ipad case. I also admit I didn't proofread it. It wasn't the iPad that did that error. There's something wrong with the Zagg case.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Don't 'get' that comment. Any new phone on contract is going to be anywhere between free and $199.
Paying more for "specs you don't need" pays off in the long run. Sure, you could probably get a new 4S for free from TMobile. or the 5C. But a 6 is going to get you farther if you are the type of person that keeps a phone for a long time. Apple will support it longer.
A new phone that would do what I want (need is different) costs way more than $199 because the cost gets added to the contract. I save lots of money by sticking with my older iPhone once it's paid off (it is paid off BTW). I did that with my previous iPhone 4, and now again with the 5C. The 4 still works, by the way, and is kept as a backup for every time my daughter's Samsung phone needs replacing. (Did I mention that I hate Samsung for not honoring their warranties?) I see no need yet to get a new phone when the current one works so well, and will likely keep working for several more years. I've already got one year out of it. No reason to start over yet.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A new phone that would do what I want (need is different) costs way more than $199 because the cost gets added to the contract.
Well you are the exception, not the rule At least 75% of users are on 2 year contracts paying that contract price.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Well you are the exception, not the rule At least 75% of users are on 2 year contracts paying that contract price.
I am on T-Mobile. No contract. When it's paid off, the monthly cost goes down. On Verizon, which I used to have, it doesn't go down, or, it didn't. It doesn't make sense to me to keep paying for a phone that is paid off already.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:31 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
We're talking about android companies here, not Apple
Exactly.

Quote:
"Occasionally"
Like trying to install those 10GB iOS updates, perhaps?
iOS 8 was the biggest and weighed in at 7GB for some iPad models.
Quote:
Stock android is still as open-source and modifiable as ever.
So? I said Google is increasingly separating out bits of it and making them closed source. Some have never been open. Yes, you can have "Android" without them, but it sucks.

For example:
Google Mobile Services - the reason things like Amazon's Fire phone are massive fails. Google has been moving more and more core functionality into it. Even the standard UI has been moved into GMS which is closed source. The open source location API that's part of AOSP is abandonware that hasn't been kept up to date since the Android 1.x days.

Search - moved into closed source app. AOSP search is some relic from 2.x
Calendar - moved into a closed source app, though AOSP is still workable for now
Music - moved into closed source app. AOSP music player is leftover from 2.x
Keyboard - swiping isn't supported. Google made a closed source keyboard and abandoned the AOSP one.

So yes, Android is open source, but running pure AOSP is a futile effort because the reality is that core functionality and a huge number of apps depend on the increasingly closed source bits.

An Android device without Google's proprietary services and closed source software is nothing more than a bad smartphone from four years ago. In fact it's worse, because more and more apps depend on those proprietary and closed source features to work at all.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
marketing...
Part of it is that, part of it is loyalty to Apple products. Google is getting similar to that with Google Chrome, Android Phones, Chromecast and to a lesser extent, Chromebook.

As for why the Amazon Fire products aren't as good as other Androids is they got off the boat at Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) for the first gen while Fire HD used 4.0.3. (Ice Cream Sandwich.) They are adapted to Amazon and Amazon isn't really a tech company vs. say Motorola, HTC or Samsung.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:59 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Search - moved into closed source app. AOSP search is some relic from 2.x
Calendar - moved into a closed source app, though AOSP is still workable for now
Music - moved into closed source app. AOSP music player is leftover from 2.x
Keyboard - swiping isn't supported. Google made a closed source keyboard and abandoned the AOSP one.
The AOSP Gallery app is being phased out, too...

Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
That's simply not true. You simply don't understand how consumers react to new technology products. Can you show me some links of these products from iRiver and Creative? I am really interested in seeing how these products were so much better than the original iPod. Did they come with easy to use software like the iTunes? Did they have a UI that was beautifully designed and intuitive?

We all remember the Microsoft Zune don't we?
i dont own an ipod (one of the reasons why i bought a creative zen vision:w was because its easier to transfer videos via usb (that and the video ipod hadnt existed yet)).

and i chose android instead of ifone because usb transfers are easier. apple on linux is always going to be an uphill battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
What a joke.

iPhone was not an innovation? Changed the game for everyone. What about the iPad? Now there are thousands of touch screen phones and tablets. All came after the Apple products.

And now coming to the PC which dominated for years. Even here, the Mac-book is getting better and better, while the PC is trying to become a tablet/phone/watch/garbage device. Every serious person own and uses a Mac-book even though it is expensive. Why? Cause of Apple marketing?
palm pilots and tablet pc's have been around since the 90's.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 02-14-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 02:53 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Most of what Zeus posted is either simply wrong, or exaggerated to the point of absurdity.
The Note 4 is the best handset money can buy.

For fun I just compared the specs between the N4 and the i6. Simply comical!

Then I realized that the i6 specs are equal to or lower than the old Galaxy S3 i just retired.

The "experience" of using an iPhone so many tout is like preferring Duplo blocks over Lego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Here's a comparison between the iPhone 6 and Google Nexus 5 which is 11 months older:

Apple iPhone 6 vs Google Nexus 5 - Phone specs comparison

Specs blow away the iPhone (except internal storage so Google can push the cloud). If you've ever used a flagship Android phone, you'd know that every single one starting at the original Droid was every bit as smooth as the iPhone has been.

All those "revolutionary" features that iPhone touted when they debuted were copies of Android. Google voice search beat Siri to market by 3 years and had more functionality. Retina display? Samsung's phones looked amazing before that (since they manufactured the displays).

Apple products are solid. The user experience is excellent. But they are not a technological innovator. Apple's success has never had anything to do with technological innovation. They are very good at marketing and playing off market trends. It's like paying for a BMW and getting a Mazda. Consumers get good products at outrageous prices, and they're willing to pay because of Apple's brand. That is how great marketing works, and Apple is the master of it.
i think ios is snappier than android because android is based on java virtualization whereas ios is closer to native 'c' (objective-c). java introduces an extra step of translating machine opcodes into a virtual cpu that understands java binary.

one way to combat this is that manufacturers use cpu's with multiple cores; therefore requiring larger batteries to handle the power; therefore screen sizes can be bigger.

ios wouldn't gain much from quad-core cpu's since objective-c is inherently more efficient than java.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones