Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 06:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

I don't think that people are "duped" by Apple into thinking the iPhone is the best, what happened was with the way the Mac and Macbooks became in the early 2000's and then the iPods created even more popularity for the Apple brand and now iPhones. Apple has goodwill and they are now one of the more popular brands. Though Samsung Galaxy phones are now just as popular if not as Apple iPhones partially due to a lack of innovation and several issues with the phones since Tim Cook took after following Steve Jobs' death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I think the point everyone is missing about that article, that apparently not everyone read: it refers to fake accounts being created and NOT customers being hacked.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think the point everyone is missing about that article, that apparently not everyone read: it refers to fake accounts being created and NOT customers being hacked.
Yep some of this stolen info was from the Target breach last year.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 PM

And Google is anymore safe than the Apple iCloud? I'm a Google fan but I must say they are just as susceptible to a hack as Apple's system was. Google may have a different firewall or something but when you use "password," "12345," or "batman" as a password, you make it easy to hack (not that I am blaming the user.)

Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't think that people are "duped" by Apple into thinking the iPhone is the best, what happened was with the way the Mac and Macbooks became in the early 2000's and then the iPods created even more popularity for the Apple brand and now iPhones. Apple has goodwill and they are now one of the more popular brands. Though Samsung Galaxy phones are now just as popular if not as Apple iPhones partially due to a lack of innovation and several issues with the phones since Tim Cook took after following Steve Jobs' death.
Exactly. Apple has not had anything going for it in a very long time, and I think its had its 15 minutes of fame. Now, all folks are buying it for is the lingering name. When Apple launched is "Big" phone, they acted as if they had invented the "wheel" but Samsung had already been through 3 versions of it, in its "Note" series. Now, Apple has come out with its "Smart Watch, which Samsung has already had, and has gone through 3 versions of that, yet Apple cheers its "Innovation" as if nothing like this has existed till now. Even the screen of Apples watch looks like the Samsung Gear2 as do the applications Apple is showing. Apples CEO said on TV that he had wanted a watch like this since he was 5, and now there is one. Surprise Dude....You could have had one 3 years ago, from Samsung.

I understand they want to sell this stuff, but why keep saying its "New" technology, and "New" applications, when its a total lie. , the Health apps, the Heart monitor, receiving incoming calls making calls, taking pictures and videos, and all the rest, is right out of Samsung's Note phones and attached Gear 2 Smart Watch.

I hope their name brand keeps them afloat, but I think its only a matter of time before they decline badly.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Exactly. Apple has not had anything going for it in a very long time, and I think its had its 15 minutes of fame. Now, all folks are buying it for is the lingering name. When Apple launched is "Big" phone, they acted as if they had invented the "wheel" but Samsung had already been through 3 versions of it, in its "Note" series. Now, Apple has come out with its "Smart Watch, which Samsung has already had, and has gone through 3 versions of that, yet Apple cheers its "Innovation" as if nothing like this has existed till now. Even the screen of Apples watch looks like the Samsung Gear2 as do the applications Apple is showing. Apples CEO said on TV that he had wanted a watch like this since he was 5, and now there is one. Surprise Dude....You could have had one 3 years ago, from Samsung.

I understand they want to sell this stuff, but why keep saying its "New" technology, and "New" applications, when its a total lie. , the Health apps, the Heart monitor, receiving incoming calls making calls, taking pictures and videos, and all the rest, is right out of Samsung's Note phones and attached Gear 2 Smart Watch.

I hope their name brand keeps them afloat, but I think its only a matter of time before they decline badly.
Apple has never really been known for being first. What they are known for is making things that don't suck.

The fact that other companies release products that aren't ready for primetime and attempt to monetize their product development and beta testing does not diminish what Apple is doing. And by the way, it's actually at least six iterations out of Samsung (Gear, Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, Gear Fit, Gear Live, Gear S).

Their approach has been wildly successful, and it's not just because of a name or a logo.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:02 PM

Apple products have had issues and launched before being perfect. Their map app anyone? If you were following the app and not looking around, you may have head off to the wrong place by up to a 1,000 feet. The iPhone 6 was not without controversy itself, remember bendgate with lighter materials being used causing the iPhone6 Plus to bend if you put it in your back pocket and not on your belt with a holster.

I do think that there is good and bad with being first to market. It obviously gives you real time data from field testing as oppose to developers beta testing it so you have better data from various sources but it can also backfire as we've seen with Apple in the Cook era.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:41 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Exactly. It's not all that secure if it allows people to use stolen credit cards more easily and results in greater amounts of fraud. Anyone calling it more secure than physical card transactions after these recent numbers is ignoring the truth.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:26 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Here's my experience and why I ask:

I just got an iPhone for the first time yesterday. The iPhone 5c to be specific. Ever since I had a smartphone, I had an Android based device. The most recent was the Samsung Galaxy S II. A bit old to today's standards, I know, but I've had it for almost two years and liked it. Probably would have kept it a little longer if it wasn't having problems. Time to upgrade and iPhone was having a sale. The Galaxy S 5 was too and I was debating, but I decided to jump on the iPhone bandwagon for a variety of reasons such as starting a new job where everyone had an iPhone, some family members had it including one who lived long distance and can do facetime, was tired of having problems with Androids I've had including battery problems, and for sheer curiousness to see if it was as great as everyone claims it is.

So far though, I am not impressed.

It seems archaic to me, even compared to my old Galaxy. It doesn't have half of the apps the Galaxies come with, some of the apps and features that were free on Android aren't free on iPhone, and even typing and going back to something takes more time. If I'm typing and forget to make something capitalized, I can't simply click on that one letter and erase it to fix like on Android. I have to erase the whole word and type it again. To go back to the last thing I was at, I can't hit a back button on the bottom of device where my thumb already is, I have to touch it at the top of screen to the left, so it's without the ease of doing it one-handed. While I like that the iPhone is not as big as the Galaxies and therefore fits better in the hand, I have gotten used to that bigger size so it wasn't a big deal. The iPhone might be smaller, but again, it's hard to do functions one-handed so it doesn't make much difference anyway. I also had to download the Gmail app because the email one they already have pales in comparison. That takes up more room on my device then.

One other thing that I was always seeing being said was that Android was for people with less money. Obviously, no one wants to announce they have less money, especially if they are around many people who have an iPhone. But is that really true? Many devices, including that Galaxy S 5, retail for hundreds of dollars. How is that having less money? Am I missing something? For the record, I don't have a ton of money right now like many people with an iPhone do, but my point is is that Androids don't seem to make much difference in that department.

I just am not sure if I should stick with the iPhone. What else am I missing that makes it so great over Android, specifically the newer models? Have the people that think it's great never used a current Android device, so they can't compare it to something else? Has anyone on here went back to an Android because they didn't like the iPhone?

Sell me on it. Try to convince me of how better it is. Because while I do have time to change my mind and switch it out for something else, I don't know if the sale on that Galaxy is still going on and I bought a pricey case for it which I'm not sure if I can return.

Basically, convince me that what I have is what I should have. Or is it?
Go back to Android, or try Windows. Both are better IMHO; iPhone is locked down, no file manager, everything uses isolated storage, etc. One does not have these issues with Android and Windows Phone.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:21 PM

Androids the only downside is that everything is open sourced so it is easier to find viruses and that. The good thing is they have made it so many manufacturers can create them driving prices lower by competition. Apple is good but pricy. I think the current iPhone is a hundred or two higher face value than the comparable Android. Windows, I don't know enough about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones