U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:34 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,626,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Where are you getting this info NJBest?
Similar sources as others have posted before I got a chance to respond.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Actually, it wasn't a blog post. You shouldn't go around assuming things. It's what probably led to your lack of knowledge in this area to begin with.
Quote:
The issue is banks making it too easy to add cards without proper verification, not some gaping security hole in the Apple Pay system itself. NJBest is just trolling. Behavioral assessment? I can't remember the last time I handed my card to anyone who wasn't a waiter.
You do realize that entering credit cards into Apple Pay is part of the Apple Payment System, right? While you may solely use credit cards at restaurants and nowhere else, that is not the case for everyone. In fact, a significant portion of credit card transactions happen at retail outlets. If you actually took the time to learned about Apple Pay, you would notice that the majority of locations that accept it are not restaurants: https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

When was the last time you had wait service at Office Depot or Whole Foods?

Cashiers are retail outlets (especially those that sell electronics) are trained to identify fraudulent transactions. Apple Pay allows people to get around this assessment.
Quote:

Perhaps he can take a break from bashing Apple pay because he doesn't understand the problem, and tell us how the encryption by default on Android 5.0 is working out. And perhaps we can all be reminded how improved cryptography being built into the hardware is a useless gimmick that has no impact on performance. Oh wait, Google has backed off the encryption requirement because it killed performance.
Take a break? The majority of this thread I've been talking about how good the iPhone is and you want me to take a break from bashing it? Maybe if you actually read the thread, you would have noticed that I have repeatedly discussed how innovative Apple is and how good the iPhone is.

It helps to read the discussion before commenting. It also helps to actually know the products you are talking about. I feel that you must put words in other people's mouths and bash people because of your lack of knowledge with smartphones in general... and in this case, with iPhones. There's no need for that.

Here's a few quotes from this very thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The iPhones have been just as innovative. Apple Pay, for example, is much better than the Google Wallet implementation. Unfortunately, Apple crippled NFC (for now). The cloud integration on iPhones is way ahead of than on Android.

The reality is that both companies are innovative.
Quote:
Apple is a marketing genius. But they do more than that. They innovate and create technology as well. They are as much of a contributor to the technology industry with innovation as anyone else (except Microsoft).
Quote:
Have you been under a rock. Apple products sell well. Thus, they are hardly overpriced.
Quote:
See my previous post. The iPhone has been selling well. It's not overpriced.
None of this changes the fact that the Apple Payment System is less secure than using a physical card. Something that was previously stated by you. But given your post, I'm not surprised that you would be misguided. You seem to blindly support Apple.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
He is absolutely correct in that the fraud rate is 60 times that of physical credit cards.
Exactly.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think the point everyone is missing about that article, that apparently not everyone read: it refers to fake accounts being created and NOT customers being hacked.
Agree. It's not all that secure if it's easier to take a stolen credit card and make a payment with it.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Exactly. It's not all that secure if it allows people to use stolen credit cards more easily and results in greater amounts of fraud. Anyone calling it more secure than physical card transactions after these recent numbers is ignoring the truth.
I couldn't agree more, Lawyer.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Apple products have had issues and launched before being perfect. Their map app anyone? If you were following the app and not looking around, you may have head off to the wrong place by up to a 1,000 feet. The iPhone 6 was not without controversy itself, remember bendgate with lighter materials being used causing the iPhone6 Plus to bend if you put it in your back pocket and not on your belt with a holster.

I do think that there is good and bad with being first to market. It obviously gives you real time data from field testing as oppose to developers beta testing it so you have better data from various sources but it can also backfire as we've seen with Apple in the Cook era.
Every iPhone released has had major shortcomings. Some that were resolved and some that were accommodated. The same applies to Android devices.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Androids the only downside is that everything is open sourced so it is easier to find viruses and that. The good thing is they have made it so many manufacturers can create them driving prices lower by competition. Apple is good but pricy. I think the current iPhone is a hundred or two higher face value than the comparable Android. Windows, I don't know enough about.
Opensource also has the benefit of being, well, opensource... which means that the source code is analyzed by thousands of scientists and flaws are discovered quickly. It also means that flaws can be discovered by hackers just as quickly.

Android 5.0 was the first version of Android to really pull ahead of iOS. It will be interesting to see what the climate looks like going forward. Apple, traditionally, fires back with big guns. But those guns might be a bit smaller with the current leadership... who knows.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,869,905 times
If you have read polls on why so many are leaving Samsung; the most often reason is "bloatware apps". Samsung is said now to be concentrating more on lower end cellphones they are losing so much emerging market share to other Asian makers.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 AM

13,121 posts, read 15,222,085 times
Quote:
Android 5.0 was the first version of Android to really pull ahead of iOS.
Disagree. Personally I don't feel any version of iOS was better then Android, but 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich was a solid and relatively bug free update that, IMO, was a BIG jump over iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav
If you have read polls on why so many are leaving Samsung; the most often reason is "bloatware apps". Samsung is said now to be concentrating more on lower end cellphones they are losing so much emerging market share to other Asian makers.
I'd like to see one of these polls. Just one.
Because I don't buy that for a second. The average consumer? The person that buys a phone and DOESN'T hang out on technology forums?? Most people don't give a rats behind about "bloatware". Most people don't care if there are updates for apps they don't use.
How many times have you picked up someone's phone and noticed 50 notifications in the tray about software updates? Because the average person just doesn't care.
Can I take a selfie\send a text\Post to FB-IG-Twitter-Snapchat? That's what most people care about.
It's the "techies"... it's the "enthusiasts", which is a minority, which MIGHT be leaving for that reason.
And anyone who is "techy" is well aware of how easy it is to DISABLE bloatware apps on Android (try that on Apple) or to reskin the OS to hide any trace of "Touchwiz".
Yea, Samsung is famous for it, and many people complain about it (mostly people writing web articles about Android and NOT actual users), but again... the average Joe does not.
Sometimes we put way too much stock in what "reporters" (and I use that term VERY loosely) write about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones