Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:28 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

I am considering signing up for a 5gb 4G data plan with AT&T. The only reason is I am going to use it as a "fall over" connection in case my primary internet connection goes down. I have a couple of Questions.

1) Any idea on the fees they tack on? I am leary because they don't have information on their website. (or at least they do not make it easy to find). I had an AT&T landline and my 20 dollar plan ended up being over 30 dollars with all their fees.

2) I am about 3 miles from the tower however there are trees. If I commit to a 2 year plan and it ends up I can't get a signal when the leaves are on the trees I am stuck; right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I am about 3 miles from the tower however there are trees.

If I commit to a 2 year plan and it ends up I can't get a signal when the leaves are on the trees I am stuck; right?
Your cellular provider gives you a "trial period" to allow you to determine if the service works for you. After that, you are then committed and service is never guaranteed anywhere by any cellular carrier under any circumstance.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
As an ATT customer I pay $4-$5 in fees and taxes for two iPhones and 3 gigs of data.

I live in a forest and have no issues with signal strength.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Thanks for the info guys. I am just worried that if I get it now and three months from now the trees block service then I am stuck with a 50/mo paperweight. I guess I need to go to the AT&T store and look at the options. I would like something that could use an external antenna just in case.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,374 times
You could buy a cheap used AT&T phone on Craigslist. Any phone will do. It will read the signal strength without being activated.

Or, if you want to really check out the service. Do some research and find out what Tracfone, Net 10 or Straight TAlk model android is on the ATT network. Make sure you get a 4G phone. Buy it and activate it with a short term low cost card. You can then test out the actual internet speeds you will be getting. Then, return it to the store within the stores return peroid. All you would be out is the cost of the phone card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones