Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:32 PM

529 posts, read 507,857 times

Advertisements

I've never liked cell-phones but I recently got one in order to make it much easier to keep looking for work while I'm working, and another reason.

Anyway, I have a simple plan with limited minutes and no Data. From what I understand I can use my WIFI at home and surf on the phone without using data. But what I want to know is if I am charged when I transfer a music or video files from my Computer onto my phone. It seems something called Google play is necessary to view these. Am I charged for transferring or viewing/listening to these on my Wifi? If not, would I be charged when offline listening to the stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
If your plan doesn't include wireless data, you can't be charged for it. You also simply can't do any of these things you listed while away from wifi, if you have no data. They will fail for the lack of Internet access, if you try to do them, while not connected to wifi.

A good way to confirm this would be to try to do those things you listed while away from wifi hotspots that you've used in the past. You shouldn't be able to do them at all, and that's because your plan has no data. If you find that you can do those things, you should probably verify with your provider that there is no data on your plan.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Probably best to just disable cellular data entirely. Then there's no concern that you wind up getting billed for data usage that you didn't intend.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Did your cell phone come with a music and/or video player? If so, all you do is transfer your music and video files via the usb cable and that's it. Just make sure you have enough available memory to hold the files.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:20 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Thanks to RabRRita for actually answering the question. Geesz, Jason and Bo...

I think you are getting tripped up by Google Play which is the app store where you can download and purchase apps. The Google Play store wants your credit card information JUST IN CASE you ever pay for an app. So even if you NEVER buy one app and ONLY download free ones, Google still wants your credit card just in case you are tempted to plunk down 99 cents for an app.

There are many free music player apps and some that are actually so good they are worth paying for.
I highly recommend Media Monkey. The paid version (there's a free one, too) will actually synch your music from your PC over WiFi. A very cool feature.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I think you are getting tripped up by Google Play which is the app store where you can download and purchase apps. The Google Play store wants your credit card information JUST IN CASE you ever pay for an app. So even if you NEVER buy one app and ONLY download free ones, Google still wants your credit card just in case you are tempted to plunk down 99 cents for an app.
You can get away without adding a CC to Google Play as well. Just keep hitting the Later or Not Now option (can't remember which is it).

My wife got her first Android phone a few months ago, and still hasn't added a card to her account. As long as you are just downloading free apps then you can bypass the CC.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:21 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I know you CAN Skunky. Just trying to explain it to the OP and why if he's trying to get a free app why Google is hounding him for payment information. You can use Google PLay gift cards and never give them your payment info.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I know you CAN Skunky. Just trying to explain it to the OP and why if he's trying to get a free app why Google is hounding him for payment information. You can use Google PLay gift cards and never give them your payment info.
Should have worded that a bit differently, meaning to explain to the OP that they could just continuously skip it.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
There are a bunch of things called "Google Play." The OP isn't necessarily talking about the app store.

Quote:
There are many free music player apps and some that are actually so good they are worth paying for.
I highly recommend Media Monkey. The paid version (there's a free one, too) will actually synch your music from your PC over WiFi. A very cool feature.
People would pay money for something that can be done accomplished for free (with some limitations) via Google Play Music?

Back to the OP's question... no you won't be charged to transfer via wifi, nor will you be charged to listen to your music offline even when away from wifi. However, Google Play Music will play both offline (locally stored) music and cloud-based content. The latter would use data, but that feature can be switched off.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If your plan doesn't include wireless data, you can't be charged for it. You also simply can't do any of these things you listed while away from wifi, if you have no data. .
You can use data without a data plan. And you will pay about $2 per meg. This issue came up at work (Go Phone) and I was curious. Thus saith AT&T and Verizon.

My old flip phone used data even tho I hand a simple calling and text plan. I did not use the internet much, but when I did I incurred charges (AT&T)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones