Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 AM

435 posts, read 633,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I also took all my email accounts off my phone, while I can still log onto the email through my web browser I just feel it is not a good thing to be so accessible all the time.
That's what I don't like about texting also. I don't want to be accessible to people all the time. I find that the people who insist that I text with them, are the same people who want me to do last minute favors for them. They seem to think texting gives them the right to put someone else on a leash and control them.

Or, they are the type of people who like to change plans at the last minute. I don't want people like that as friends, so I don't need to be doing any texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:13 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,021,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I have text blocking. Texting is a waste of time to me. Send a message, wait 4 hours for someone to reply "ok", and I have to pay $40 a month for it? No thanks.
Texting saves time for me. I like being able to send/receive/respond at my convenience. There are a lot of times when I'm busy and don't want to be disturbed by a phone call. Texting is great for situations when an instant response is not necessary. If an immediate response *is* necessary, then one can still call. Texting is often included in the phone plan, so you aren't paying $40 just for that, it's just another *option* that is available. Having options is a Good Thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I very rarely text (I am 50) and, it is probably only in the last year or two that I started texting. Sometimes I will send a text to my ex wife, and sometimes my little girl and I will echange texts (mostly it is just "I love you" type texts). I have a flip phone, so texting is not convenient. I also believe that people should pick up the phone and talk with each other.
What's age got to do with it? I'm 53, and because being able to text is so convenient I finally got a 'smartphone'. Granted I'm a bit of a cheapskate at times so I waited until the cost of a phone plan with data included dropped to what I *had been* paying for a 'phone only' plan, but, damn, it's the [expletive] balls! Anything I want to know is right at my fingertips, literally. Phone, text, e-mail, web, all in the palm of my hand.

I've been working with electronics since the 1960s, and computers since the 1970s, back then, these kinds of capabilities were the stuff that dreams were made of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Except I was only interested in discussing this with people who DON'T text. So why did you reply here?
Because we can. Too bad, you don't get to control the responses or limit the responses to only certain people.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,217,258 times
Quote:
Except I was only interested in discussing this with
people who DON'T text. So why did you reply here?
I know that, it was a judgment call, bec I was such a huge hold out.
I thought I had
something to contribute...I truly did not know I was going to get gestapoed.

Geeze, Louise!!

Old 12-06-2014, 11:23 AM

11,922 posts, read 8,250,587 times
I watch my friends who have developed an intimate relationship with their cell phones and find it has actually hindered intimacy. Won't go into detail here.

My cell phone is for emergencies only and only family members have my number. I don't see any need to text. And for years I have been working on whittling down the number of bills I have to pay each month. Why would I add one?

Everyone in my life knows that I am available to them and how to get ahold of me. The people who call for their own recreation have long since moved on (with a little encouragement from me.)

Old 12-06-2014, 11:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,217,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I text but do not like it...
Uh-oh....you were not supposed to respond, either!!
But, I still like you ...

Old 12-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Actually, I did limit my thread to only discuss with people who do not text. I already knew a lot of texting freaks would come here to tell everyone who doesn't text, how great texting is and how everyone else should be doing it to. This is another reason I don't text: texters don't have much of a life outside of texting.

And I hope you texters don't kill someone while you are texting and driving. I think the penalties for that should be equivalent to a DWI.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:55 AM

9,863 posts, read 14,003,141 times
I do not text. I have the service disabled with my carrier. I have a smartphone. It is just as easy to send or receive a brief email, and I don't have to pay extra for it.

Unlike emails that don't reach their intended recipient, though, the sender does NOT receive a notice that the ext didn't go through. At least with Verizon.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,723,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Uh-oh....you were not supposed to respond, either!!
But, I still like you ...
So does that mean I get a spanking?

Old 12-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I do not text. I have the service disabled with my carrier. I have a smartphone. It is just as easy to send or receive a brief email, and I don't have to pay extra for it.

Unlike emails that don't reach their intended recipient, though, the sender does NOT receive a notice that the ext didn't go through. At least with Verizon.
So if they don't get a notice their text bounced back, do you just tell them to stop texting you?

I have people say they are texting me constantly. I have to wonder why. I know they want something, but probably don't want to know what it is.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:20 PM

9,863 posts, read 14,003,141 times
Quote:
So if they don't get a notice their text bounced back, do you just tell them to stop texting you?
Occasionally, I've received a "I texted you...." statement. I simply reply that I don't have that feature enabled and they should email or call me should they need anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones