Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,825,257 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My granddaughter has an iPhone and she has an app that tells her when her friends are typing.I would really appreciate an app. for Android phones that does this, and if it is nice and simple to use and has cute emojis/GIFs that would be even better. Does anyone know of any?

P.S. How does one 'refresh screen' on the phone? Just got mine a few months ago and still
learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,483,299 times
What you're talking about is iMessage, to which I do not believe there is an Android equivalent in functionality. The best keyboard on Android however in my opinion is Swiftkey. You should download it and check it out. I think you'll like it.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:52 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,864,133 times
Not sure what you mean by refresh screen, could you elaborate on that?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:57 AM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hi all. My granddaughter has an iPhone and she has an app that tells her when her friends are typing.I would really appreciate an app. for Android phones that does this, and if it is nice and simple to use and has cute emojis/GIFs that would be even better. Does anyone know of any?

P.S. How does one 'refresh screen' on the phone? Just got mine a few months ago and still
learning.
iMessage is a chat app, not a SMS/Text app. Chat applications allow you to see if the other person's status online/busy/typing etc. since you are connected to a centralized server. Andorid's "flagship" chat application is Google Hangouts. I'm sure there are others, but also keep in mind that not all applications are cross-platform. e.g. iMessage won't talk to Google Hangouts by default. I know you used to be able to configure iChat (precursor to iMessage) to include Google accounts, but not sure if that's still the case (or if that function is possible on a phone).

SMS/Texting doesn't give you a status since there's no connection until you actually send the message.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
BBM for Android shows you when people are typing and online/offline etc. However keep in mind you need to get all the people you want to chat with to download BBM as well.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Not sure what you mean by refresh screen, could you elaborate on that?

When I was reading the info at Amazon after DL the app Textra SMS it instructed to go to my Amazon app store[where I got the app] and after clicking on it to refresh,and I have no clue how to do that!

However, it did dl and is on my phone. It has a lot of emojis but my daughter can't see them until she gets the app too as Mr_Geek said. Don't know if it would show when she is typing or not.
Will check out BBM or just get KIK for Android.that is the app that my granddaughter is using.

http://www.amazon.com/Kik-Interactiv...er+for+android

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 12-22-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
BBM for Android shows you when people are typing and online/offline etc. However keep in mind you need to get all the people you want to chat with to download BBM as well.

Oh dang, I should have remembered that from the MSN Messenger days,thanks for the reminder!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM

Hmm, it seems KIK isn't that great for Android,but at least I've learned that I need a messaging app,not a texting app!

Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Facebook Messenger might work for you. You can use it wiothout using Facebook at all.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:50 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,235,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
What you're talking about is iMessage, to which I do not believe there is an Android equivalent in functionality. The best keyboard on Android however in my opinion is Swiftkey. You should download it and check it out. I think you'll like it.
I decided to try it. I like it! It's more intuitive. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones