Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 08:35 AM

95 posts, read 101,654 times

Advertisements

Hello. my next door neighbor has a safe link phone. she told me she gets it free because she is on ssi. I pulled out my straight talk phone and said I pay $30 for mine. She told me she has had it for years. She said since you are disabled and on S.S.D.I. I would qualify. hmmm anyone else use the free safe link phone? I don't use my phone much. I used it when I worked. that safety net incase I broke down.

I worked for the last 37yrs and since I am hearing impaired I use my cap-tel phone which is great for me since I am deaf. love the closed caption on the large screen. I just was found disabled from S.S.A. and was going to cancel my cell phone since I can no longer drive. I would be saving the $30 a month fee. I don't make nearly as much on S.S.D.I. as I did working and I have to readjust my budget.

Car insurance also to be cancelled since I am not allowed to drive anymore. trying to cut my budget any way I can. but a free cell phone? didn't know about those since I worked for a living lol!
thoughts? anybody use them? do they work ok? would only use it for texting since I cant hear on it.

thanks for any info on the safe link phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:43 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Read more here:

Who Qualifies for a free government cell phone?

If you went to safelink directly I think you'll only get their advertised 5 months free, not lifetime. I think you have to go through the government, they will give you a phone and a carrier.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Where do you live that deaf people aren't allowed to drive?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Where do you live that deaf people aren't allowed to drive?
I am not allowed to drive due to vertigo. I have meniers and have been having vertigo attacks. after many testings to find out what is causing it, it was discovered that my "MY VESTIBULAR NERVE" is not working and for that reason the neurologist has to inform dmv of my condition, its the law! They pulled my licence due to that reason. not because I am deaf.

My hearing impairment didn't keep me from working or driving. The hearing impaired work and drive as in my case for the last 37 years. sorry for the misunderstanding. should have worded it differently!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Read more here:

Who Qualifies for a free government cell phone?

If you went to safelink directly I think you'll only get their advertised 5 months free, not lifetime. I think you have to go through the government, they will give you a phone and a carrier.
thank you for the link.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
There's a similar program for land lines as well, so if you don't need the cell phone you might be able to get your regular phone covered instead.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:10 AM

skunk workz, amazing what is out there that I am so not aware of! lol thank you for the info. I have a bundle package through my cable company. phone, internet, cable. but worth checking out!! thank you!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Your zip code indicates you live in New Jersey.
Here's another link. Board of Public Utilities | Customer<br />Assistance
This is a federal program administered by the states. Thus, there are a few minor differences between the states. It is an income based program. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,811,050 times
There are 2 companies that have these plans:

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...lic/index.html

Lifeline Cell Phone Service Provider | Assurance Wireless

You can't have both.
Income eligible.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:12 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
We have had Safelink and Lifeline. With safelink you get a free cheapie phone (not a smartphone or anything fancy) and 200-250 free minutes a month. We got it for low income. Same with Lifeline BUT we also got a $10 discount on a homephone. (making it around $10-$15/mnth)

My husband JUST got a smartphone last week after having his Safelink phone for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones