Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:46 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with people being GLUED to smart phones?

At work, at grocery stores, etc.....people cannot look away from that screen. What are they looking at?

Please tell me it's not Facebook and Instagram.

I'm not insulting anyone I'm just trying to get a perspective.

What is it about smart phones that keeps people stuck on them?

Yes, I have a smart phone. I only carry it when I leave home and I never take it out unless someone texts/calls me.

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
What am I missing?
You're missing all the things that can be done on a smart phone. It drives me nuts too. I hate seeing everyone's head shoved up a cell phone! I think we're missing nothing of importance. But obviously cell phones have become all things to all people. You may as well get a dumb phone like I have. It does all I need it to. I do own a notepad now though.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
We as a society just can't live with out those dang cell phone...
Makes me wonder how I got this far in life with out being connected 24/7 and texting and tweeting and telling the whole world how many times I scratch my........ a day..

The biggest thing for me is making it to the early bird buffet by 4:30 so I can watch reruns of Mayberry.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:26 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I tend to think it's a result of the "you're bad if you have no friends and aren't going anywhere" and "you must be busy all the time" and "people are creepy! just watch the news" stuff that's shoved down people's throats since they were born lately.

Plugged in, tuned out.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:42 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
When you see pictures of parties. .the cells are all on the table. ..mine is in my purse....we are going on a cruise..I turn my phone on airplane mode the whole time... .I see people on the cruise ship banging on their phones. .who the HELL are they talking to? A lot of times I leave it in the safe....no one is calling. ..I am not texting. ..I don't need it..I think those people must pay good money. ...no cell towers in the Caribbean. ..I am on vacation. ..so many people have to update their Facebook too...every move they make. ..it is sickening. .

Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
If Smart Phones are so darn smart then why can't they prevent people using them from running into other people?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:17 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
I don't get it either.

I do not have one, have no use for one, never owned one, nor do I ever want one.

I would love to go back to the 1970s when life was way better and before all of this nonsense, but I will take the medical advances.
Okay, maybe the internet too.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:19 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If Smart Phones are so darn smart then why can't they prevent people using them from running into other people?
Like drunk people walking around. For the life of me I do not understand what is so important. It's like a part of a persons body for many people. Maybe someone will explain it to me.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Smart phones make everyone an instant celebrity. Even on the move your every thought and action immortalized on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the world to see.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
What's the deal with people being GLUED to smart phones?

At work, at grocery stores, etc.....people cannot look away from that screen. What are they looking at?

Please tell me it's not Facebook and Instagram.

I'm not insulting anyone I'm just trying to get a perspective.

What is it about smart phones that keeps people stuck on them?

Yes, I have a smart phone. I only carry it when I leave home and I never take it out unless someone texts/calls me.

What am I missing?
It is actually addiction-like behavior. Compulsive.
Every time they get a new post, piece of info, etc, it sets off reward centers in the brain.

Kind of kooky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones