U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,687,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Don't disagree with that. Texting and driving is extremely dangerous, and there are many instances where it's just plain rude to be on the phone, on a date, at a family dinner, in mid conversation with someone, etc. But there are many times you're by yourself and not talking to anyone anyways, waiting in line at the bank, the grocery store, on the train, on the buss, in the cab, in the waiting room, etc.

It's averaged that human beings will spend over 2 years of their entire life waiting in lines, now while waiting in lines we have something to occupy ourselves with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm looking at my grocery list. I find it more convenient to keep a running list on my phone of things I need rather than writing lists on paper.

And if I'm waiting in line, I might check the news, facebook, or something to distract me from all the chocolate bars begging to jump into my cart.

I don't text while driving. That's just reckless and stupid.
I agree with Kayanne. I do the same thing.

When I go to the grocery store (or Target or Walmart, for that matter), you will see me with my iPhone out. I have my shopping lists on there. I also keep my coupons on there, so I may be checking things off my list, or I might be checking my coupons to see if that really is the better buy. I might see something on sale, so I might be looking up a recipe to see what other ingredients are needed to complete that recipe. (may as well purchase everything, since I am already at the store). Or I might be checking the cost of a big ticket item online to see if it's cheaper on the website or at the store. I've saved big bucks by doing that.

When I am waiting to check out, I might pull up the news. Or the weather. Or the radar to see how big that snowstorm is. Or check my email. Or send a quick text to my kids. Or play a game. Or start my car so it'll be warm when I get there. Or read the latest CaringBridge update from my friend's neighbor. Or any of the other apps on my phone. Sure beats staring at the oddly dressed people in front of me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,356,668 times
Just as I previously wrote. 'I spent $400 and I drop $70 a month'. So to get my monies worth, instead of writing my shopping list on a piece of paper like I've done for the last 25 years, I now enter it on my phone. This way, not only do I get to waste my time but I can show everyone I have a $400 phone.
Why not whip out your laptop, We'll really be impressed.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,130,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Just as I previously wrote. 'I spent $400 and I drop $70 a month'. So to get my monies worth, instead of writing my shopping list on a piece of paper like I've done for the last 25 years, I now enter it on my phone. This way, not only do I get to waste my time but I can show everyone I have a $400 phone.
No need to be so rude about it. Why would you care if some of us find it more convenient to use our phone for our shopping list instead of paper? I have numerous legitimate reasons that this works better for me. "Showing everyone that I have a $400 phone" is definitely not one of those reasons. In this day and age, the majority of people (including children) have a cell phone, so I hardly expect anyone to be impressed that I have one.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM

12,717 posts, read 12,392,445 times
Quote:
Only a $400 phone? I'd be embarrassed!

My iPhone was over $1,000 after taxes. You should see how impressed everyone is by me!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,687,198 times
Quote:
You sound insecure. Or jealous. Don't really care. I'm not looking at you. Or what you have in your hand, if anything.

I don't know about you, but I think of different things I need throughout the day. So rather than remember what I thought of to get at work to write down on my list at home, or to keep 2 lists, and then remember where exactly I placed that piece of paper, I just slide the phone out of my pocket, add my items, and continue on with my day.

Besides, my phone is in a protective case, so you can't really even see it. So I'm certainly not showing it off!

As far as whipping out my laptop, that does not fit in my pocket as neatly as my phone, so it's not nearly as convenient. Besides, my phone has quite a powerful computing power all by itself. Not to mention, there's the danger of the laptop sliding out of the child seat of the shopping cart. And if I wanted to get on the Internet, I'd have to connect via the store's WiFi (if indeed, they even had WiFi). So, I just have the phone connect to internet much faster via the cell tower. It's really not a problem for me!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 AM

13,062 posts, read 15,170,579 times
Quote:
Wow... back in your day, eh. Really? "Paper works just fine, damnit!!!"
People aren't pulling their phones out to show off or impress. Sad you think that. When 70% of Americans have one, what exactly are we showing off??

Oh, and with the shopping list on my phone, my wife and I can both add to the list from either one of our phones and it shows up on the main list immediately. So we can both add to the list anytime, anywhere.... even from Bangladesh! And *bam* when one of us goes to the store, it's all right there. Like magic.
In fact, last time the wife went to the store I realized just after she left... err... we are out of toilet paper. Open phone, open app, ADD TP. Done. Quicker then calling her.
Can your paper do that???

Old 02-06-2015, 04:29 AM

27 posts, read 21,121 times
You are right, this is a kind of addiction, people are unintentionally hooked on their smartphones these days. They have created such a hype in the general public. Now from a teenager to an adult, everybody carries a smartphone and it has become a symbol of prestige.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:35 AM

44,256 posts, read 57,009,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's because this technology is amazing and addictive. We have the knowledge of the world at our fingertips in our pockets at all times. It's hard to resist that knowledge for me. In addition we have every other person in the world who owns a device at our fingertips. It's a bit overwhelming and hard to ignore.
Knowledge of the world at fingertips and yet people don't seem much smarter.

I agree with the posts re: shopping lists and no one using a smartphone to impress people. Everyone has one. Kids have them.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:12 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJonathan View Post
You are right, this is a kind of addiction, people are unintentionally hooked on their smartphones these days. They have created such a hype in the general public. Now from a teenager to an adult, everybody carries a smartphone and it has become a symbol of prestige.
Everybody? No. However, a large majority are huge fans of smartphones.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,166,611 times
I actually use mine mostly to read books and play video games. It's a lot easier to carry a smartphone loaded with eBooks and games than a Nintendo DS, a bunch of carts, and a book or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones