Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times

Advertisements

I am currently using att, I am using iphone, and I don't want the regular dial tone when someone is waiting for me to pick up, instead, I want people to be able to listen to a song when they are waiting for me to pick up the phone.

Does anyone know what that is, and how can I get it? Also, how much does it cost? Would it be a monthly cost or a one time cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:52 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
I believe you are talking about ringback tones. At&t stopped offering the service at the end of 2014. That ship has sailed.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Good for ATT. I hate listening to someone else's tune before they answer.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:53 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I believe you are talking about ringback tones. At&t stopped offering the service at the end of 2014. That ship has sailed.
Boy am I glad to hear that (no pun intended ).

As someone whose job it was to call customers to tell them their special order item was available for pickup, it was extremely annoying to hear someone's idea of "music", instead of a standard ringback. (Wasn't most "music on hold " bad enough ?) First time it happened, I thought I had dialed into a radio station or something.

The only thing more annoying were answering machine/voicemail outgoing messages made by the person's 3 year old child

Old 02-16-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Boy am I glad to hear that (no pun intended ).

As someone whose job it was to call customers to tell them their special order item was available for pickup, it was extremely annoying to hear someone's idea of "music", instead of a standard ringback. (Wasn't most "music on hold " bad enough ?) First time it happened, I thought I had dialed into a radio station or something.

The only thing more annoying were answering machine/voicemail outgoing messages made by the person's 3 year old child
Hahaha, that's kind of true. But I was told that you can get it from iTunes if you are using iPhone.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:52 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Yea, thank god ringback tones aren't a thing anymore. I hated them.=, too. Cringe every time I had to call a friend who used one.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
I am currently using att, I am using iphone, and I don't want the regular dial tone when someone is waiting for me to pick up, instead, I want people to be able to listen to a song when they are waiting for me to pick up the phone.

Does anyone know what that is, and how can I get it? Also, how much does it cost? Would it be a monthly cost or a one time cost?
WHY would you want to torment someone with your choice of music? It was annoying as $%#@ and I am glad they do not offer that anymore. Calling someone is bad enough, but to be then subjected to someone's choice of bad music while I waited for them to either pick up or go to answering machine made it 10x worse.

Just because YOU like a particular song does not mean the people calling you like it.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
WHY would you want to torment someone with your choice of music? It was annoying as $%#@ and I am glad they do not offer that anymore. Calling someone is bad enough, but to be then subjected to someone's choice of bad music while I waited for them to either pick up or go to answering machine made it 10x worse.

Just because YOU like a particular song does not mean the people calling you like it.
That's true, but is unlikely that you would be the person to call me, so I don't think you should be angry at this for this reason.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
That's true, but is unlikely that you would be the person to call me, so I don't think you should be angry at this for this reason.
It is not about you in particular. But rather most people would rather not listen to anyone's tune every time they call. Might be cute the first time or two. Then it becomes something annoying.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
That ring back tone was annoying. Glad to see it vanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones