Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Glass breaks. As Peregrine said they are concerned about scratching.
Yep. I've used my Kindle Fire (with Gorilla Glass) every day for a year and it has zero scratches. I wouldn't expect it to be immune from careless behavior like dropping it or sitting on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I dropped my S4 which has Gorilla Glass 3 and there's a large 2 inch crack on the glass now. It was dropped from just a foot high and had a silicone protective case on it plus a screen protector.

I've heard similar stories from other cellphone owners equipped with the Gorilla Glass. Sounds like Gorilla Glass is just all hype and is really no better than any other glass.
I think it varies from phone to phone; my Sony Xperia Z3 is glass on the front and back and I have dropped it several times, but there's no cracks on it.

Here's a test on a phone that has Gorilla Glass 4; the phone's glass doesn't crack until its dropped face down from 10 ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpsyGweP5so

Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Here's a case where Gorilla glass would have helped: Gorilla at Omaha zoo cracks window, sets family running - CNN.com

Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM

321 posts, read 406,861 times
Lot's of youtube videos on the subject... here

Old 04-22-2015, 02:52 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I use a case similar to this

Heavy Duty Rugged Hard Case Cover Clip Holster for Samsung Galaxy SIV S4 I9500 | eBay

on my S4 active.. not exactly the same case but it has the corner protectors... it also keeps the screen inside the bezel to protect it... the screen's not gonna get a direct hit unless it falls onto a rock or something small that will make a direct impact otherwise it's most likely to hit one of the cushioned protected corners. It's survived multiple 3-4 foot drops without issue in the last year.

Having a phone with glass that extends to the edge of the bezel with no protection is asking for trouble. I use the phone for geocaching and don't really mind if it's bulkier.. it has natural water protection and good physical damage protection as well.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I thought the whole point of having the Active is that... it's really tough. Why put a case on it?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its not bullet proof which is what screen protect help and are popular.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
It's still pretty damn tough.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 592 times
I think its a scam ,I have Walmart buy Alcatel one touch pop astro ($60),indestructible - screen is I guess plastic ,no scratches on screen even after keys in the pocket ,dropped it 20+ times from 3-6 feet on everything,concrete ,rocks etc ,I dropped it so many times that speaker started to distort sound ,corners are all banged up ,I don't have a case or screen protector on it ,so yes ,its a scam just ,if this screen from this cheap phone was in galaxy 5 or 6 or iPhone whole repair industry would be without work ,oh and did I said the reception is better too than my friends galaxy 7 ,so yeah you pay more for the phone ,they give you more memory or CPU speed but screen just waits to be dropped

Old 06-14-2016, 12:50 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Pretty much this. The material advances are being used to make the device thinner, not more resilient (this is changing with v. 4).
1>2>3 reduced the thickness. V4 has the same thickness as V3. It has improved shattered resistance at the expense of some hardness so it will scratch slightly easier than V3. V3 and V4 are 40% as thick as V1 and 50% as thick as V2. The difference between surface of the screen and the display elements is definitely noticeable and much appreciated. Overall though, there haven't been significant increases in protection since V2 with the exception of V4 having better shatter resistance at the expense of some scratch resistance. Of course, that's for a pristine glass. If you're running around accumulating micro scratches which aren't visible to the naked eye from having your keys in the same pocket, you're slowly destroying that. The shatter resistance comes from tension which those micro scratches are slowly eating away at.

Depending how abusive one is, still a good idea to have an ugly case with a fat rim that makes the device hard to use particular if you don't have abnormally large hands and a phablet-sized 5.7" screen as I do to protect the screen as well as a screen protector. Eg, when I first got my new phone I dropped it getting out of the car doing the normal juggle of the phone, wallet, coffee cup and brief case and not enough hands. I hadn't really gotten used to how slippery glass is and since it was pinched between my wallet and one finger while I awkwardly held a coffee cup in one hand it slipped out. With my older plastic phones it wouldn't have been a problem as they're much less slippery. It dropped right on the back corner hard enough to leave a noticeable blemish on the metal frame and dent it down to the glass. Honestly, I'm surprised the glass back didn't shatter. On the other hand, I have picked up a few scratches. I'm not really sure what they're from. I've been known to do stupid things like put drill bits in my pocket and then squeeze into awkward positions grinding the drill bit into the phone screen. I don't remember doing anything like that but it's always possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones