Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Sprint Woes Weigh on SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son (Phone Scoop)
SoftBank's plans for Sprint have not unfolded as CEO Masayoshi Son hoped. Son initially believed a merger with competitor T-Mobile would serve the carrier, but was dismayed when U.S. antitrust regulators shot the idea down. "I was thinking to myself: 'I made one of the biggest mistakes in my life,' which was the misjudgment of the U.S. regulatory environment," said Son. SoftBank closed its equity stake in Sprint just two years ago, and the company has already considered selling Sprint to Comcast in the U.S. or Altice in Europe, according to the Wall Street Journal.

I think the CEO having such negative views of his own company is a factor. If you think SPRINT may go bankrupt then you might not want to invest a lot of money in SPRINT equipment.
It's unlikely that Sprint will go bankrupt anytime soon: S Income Statement | Sprint Corporation Common Stock Stock - Yahoo! Finance

It's clear that Wall Street shares this sentiment as stock as risen 20% since the WSJ article.

The CEO of Sprint is Marcelo Claure, not Masayoshi Son.

Also, Softbank just purchased more of Sprint, so it's difficult to suggest that Son has a negative view of the company. He only indicated that it will not be as easy as he thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The CEO of Sprint is Marcelo Claure, not Masayoshi Son.
Also, Softbank just purchased more of Sprint, so it's difficult to suggest that Son has a negative view of the company. He only indicated that it will not be as easy as he thought.
I said that Masayoshi Son was CEO of Softbank in my header. Son replaced Sprint CEO Dan Hesse a year ago with Marcelo Claure.
The article mentioned that the investment money may run out in 2016. I agree, that does not imply that the company will go bankrupt, but it may not be able to improve it's position. Of course, you can argue that SPRINT may not get off slope, and also the T-mobile has an unsustainable business model as well, as it is costing them too much to collect new subscribers.

Personally, I feel like the Sprint MVNO is one of the greatest deals right now in mobile telephony. Wavenation is offering unlimited talk and text for $10.
Scratchwireless is offering unlimited talk and text for $15.
Ringplus is offering unlimited talk and text and 1 GB of data for $20.

If the government relents and lets Sprint and T-mobile merge, these plans may be harder to find.

I added reseller (MVNO) and connected device, plus machine to machine subscribers to the previous count (prepaid and postpaid branded). The total is for all three.

Post Network Prepaid
29.3 Tmobile 16.6
30.0 Sprint 15.3
76.5 AT&T 10.4
103.7 Verizon 5.8

R&C Network Total
13.0 Tmobile 58.9
11.5 Sprint 56.8
36.9 AT&T 123.9
24.0 Verizon 133.5

I can't make a table with this forum software.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:38 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Obviously if you are in commercial real estate (or a similar field), you want to be able to pull out your laptop anytime anywhere and look up information for your client. The cost of mobile services holds distant second to not being humiliated by a bad connection, especially if the client has Verizon and you have Sprint.
Yes, that was predominantly why I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. T-Mobiles momentum was and still is data. They had an easier rollout of 4G than either Verizon or AT&T due to being smaller, but there you are. They just did it better. Of course, I'm almost always in urban areas whereas others are not. I'd probably do dual sim or a second phone or switch back as Verizon and AT&T do have better coverage outside major urban areas than T-Mobile does and at this point they've finished the painfully slow process of getting something resembling adequate infrastructure for 4G/HSPA+. Depending where you do business, the lack of rural coverage T-Mobile has is either a major problem or not much of one at all.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:17 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
T-Mobiles momentum was and still is data. They had an easier rollout of 4G than either Verizon or AT&T due to being smaller, but there you are.
Vodafone (from Britain) is due to start an MVNO with T-Mobile within the next two months. What makes that big news, is Vodafone has 433 million subscribers (more than Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and Tmobile and all their MVNOs combined). They are second in the world behind China Mobile (almost 800 million) Up until January 2014 Vodafone owned 45% share of Verizon.
I suspect that this MVNO will result in some fundamental shifts in the US marketplace. Vodafone is not interested in anything small.

Wireless industry trade group Groupe "Speciale Mobile Association" released the following rank of millions of connections and (rank); 12-month mobile revenues and (rank). (Connections and revenue are aggregated as the sum of each group’s consolidated subsidiaries.) They obviously use a different system, because Verizon is normally ranked higher than AT&T, more commensurate with it's revenue which is second highest on the list.

T-Mobile is part of Deutsche Telekom Group , and Sprint is part of Softbank.

1. China Mobile: 790.6 (1) $108 billion (1)
2. Vodafone Group (3): 435.9 (2) $68.8 billion (2)
3. China Unicom: 295 (3) $35.1 billion (10)
4. Telefónica Group: 249.4 (6) $49.3 billion (7)
5. América Móvil Group (3): 266.9 (5) $41.6 billion (9)
6. Deutsche Telekom Group (3): 146.9 (12) $50.3 billion (6)
7. Orange Group: 184.6 (8) $26.3 billion (11)
8. AT&T: 116.6 (16) $73.2 billion (3)
9. VimpelCom Group: 218.2 (7) $18.6 billion (14)
10. China Telecom: 180.2 (9) $26.2 billion (12)
11. Bharti Airtel Group: 287.2 (4) $12.9 billion (18)
12. Softbank Group: 105 (20) $70.3 billion (4)
13. Verizon Wireless: 104.6 (22) $85.6 billion (2)

Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
I had ATT and T-mobile before, decades ago when I switched to Verizon and kinda stuck with em. ATT had the worst coverage for my area, but that was 2 decades ago don't know if it's still true. Now we have a Verzion family plan, so It's not that easy to switch companies without a good reason.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
We went thru all those at work and settled on Verizon for service. That is what I chose for personal with no regrets.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Latest Rootmetrics results are out:

Overall Performance:
1. Verizon
2. ATT
3. Sprint
4. T-Mobile

Network Reliability
1. Verizon
2. ATT
3. Sprint
4. T-Mobile

Network Speed
1. Verizon
2. ATT
3. T-Mobile
4. Sprint

Data Performance
1. Verizon
2. ATT
3. T-Mobile (tie)
3. Sprint (tie)

Call Performance
1. Verizon
2. ATT (tie)
2. Sprint (tie)
4. T-Mobile

Tex Performance
1. Verizon (tie)
1. ATT (tie)
1. Sprint (tie)
4. T-Mobile

The statistical margin of error used was 2 points (calculated off of last rootmetrics numbers. This report's margin of error may be slightly different)

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/s...1h-national-us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones