Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times

Advertisements

So I've been getting a flood of "illegitimate" calls lately. Basically calls from all sorts of unfamiliar numbers who never leave a message.

I know I can add numbers to a contact, and just set that contact to always go straight to VM. Or I can use the 'auto reject list' on the phone (which is limited to 100 numbers).

But both of these require me to actively add numbers. Which won't stop new numbers from getting through to my phone.

What I like to do is essentially setup a "white list". So basically only those that are on in my contacts will ring through. All others will go directly to voicemail.

Anyone know of an app or method to do this? I do have google voice and I've set this up for my g-voice number using groups (albeit it doesn't always work). But I haven't figured out a way to do this with my cell number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:56 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,833,231 times
I've not looked at an app to do this, but you could do it manually.
Here is my kludgey work-around. I have a G4 so I presume they are very similar.

Set your phone ringtone to "silent".

To manually set ALL of your contacts to have a custom ringtone, to "mytone" (what ever ringtone you like):
This doesn't have to be done one by one. You could create a new Group, "Everyone", (for example), assign all your contacts to that group, then do a Set Group-Ringtone:
Contacts / Groups / long-press the group "Everyone" / Edit group / Group Ringtone / {mytone, whatever tone you like}
Then delete that Group (but not the entries of the Group).
You have just set ALL of your contacts to have a ringtone different than your phone's default, (which is 'silent')

You also need to remember for any new contacts you add from now on, to change away from the ringtone default.

PS: if you do have a contact you use for a spam-number dumpsite, and/or use the Auto Reject List (the phone's internal Black List), then make sure they are NOT included in the process above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones