Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times

Advertisements

So I saw an ad the other day for this new service called "Total Wireless". I have 4 lines right now on Verizon and it's costing me $228 / mo with 6GB Data so I thought I'd check these plans out.

Looks like individuals are $35 for 2.5GB and unlimited Talk & Text and Families can go up to 4 lines for $110 (12GB and unlimited Talk & Text).

After doing a little research I've found some good and not so good. The network is 100% Verizon which is awesome! The only problem, which to some isn't a problem at all, is that there is no LTE. You would be stuck on Verizon 3G which works great in some areas and not so great in others.

My thoughts... is the increased speed worth the extra $115 / mo? I've disabled LTE on my phone for now to see if I can deal with 3G speeds and so far things are looking good.

Thing is, whenever I'm home or at a friend or family member's house, I'm almost always on the WiFi. When I'm driving around in my car, I'm usually streaming Spotify at 320kbps which works perfectly fine on 3G. Any other time, I'm simply browsing the web!

This may be a good option for some of you too. Anyone check out this service before?

No Contract Cell Phones | Prepaid Smartphones | Total Wireless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:21 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
It's got a super limited device selection, and appears to not allow LTE devices on the network, so you'll have to decide if you can live with the device selection.

Outside of that ... Verizon has made it clear that they want to dump their 3G network completely (so they can use that spectrum for LTE), and are going to start scaling it back as they bring VoLTE on line, so service could get worse.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It's got a super limited device selection, and appears to not allow LTE devices on the network, so you'll have to decide if you can live with the device selection.

Outside of that ... Verizon has made it clear that they want to dump their 3G network completely (so they can use that spectrum for LTE), and are going to start scaling it back as they bring VoLTE on line, so service could get worse.
LTE devices are allowed on the line per their CS. You just wouldn't have access to the LTE.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,925 times
Phones they sell are limited but appartently you can activate Verizon phones. I entered my LG Lucid MEI and it was good to go.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 PM

My iPhone 6 gets the green light.
Attached Thumbnails
Total Wireless-image.jpg  

Old 05-04-2015, 10:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So I saw an ad the other day for this new service called "Total Wireless". I have 4 lines right now on Verizon and it's costing me $228 / mo with 6GB Data so I thought I'd check these plans out.

Looks like individuals are $35 for 2.5GB and unlimited Talk & Text and Families can go up to 4 lines for $110 (12GB and unlimited Talk & Text).

After doing a little research I've found some good and not so good. The network is 100% Verizon which is awesome! The only problem, which to some isn't a problem at all, is that there is no LTE. You would be stuck on Verizon 3G which works great in some areas and not so great in others.

My thoughts... is the increased speed worth the extra $115 / mo? I've disabled LTE on my phone for now to see if I can deal with 3G speeds and so far things are looking good.

Thing is, whenever I'm home or at a friend or family member's house, I'm almost always on the WiFi. When I'm driving around in my car, I'm usually streaming Spotify at 320kbps which works perfectly fine on 3G. Any other time, I'm simply browsing the web!

This may be a good option for some of you too. Anyone check out this service before?

No Contract Cell Phones | Prepaid Smartphones | Total Wireless
Plus what many have found is many service who use other network are also likely to get dropped during busy times. Personally I do not like to use any WiFi I do not control the security myself; never use public hot spots.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:52 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Total wireless is a brand of Tracfone which is in turn a subdivision of América Móvil (the largest company in the Americas by total number of subscribers).

América Móvil is a Mexican telecommunication company headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico. Carlos Slim, sometimes the richest man in the world owns the company. América Móvil provides services to 289.4 million wireless subscribers, 34.3 million landlines, 22.6 million broadband accesses and 21.5 million PayTV units as of the end of 2014.

TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Straight Talk, SIMPLE Mobile, Total and Telcel América are all brands of the same company. However Total seems to have the lowest prices. You can do unlimited talk and text for only $25/month.

It is only sold through Walmart, and online AFAIK.

Virgin Mobile paylo has special deals through Walmart that may equal or better Total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones