Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,541,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Could be something worth looking into. But if I go with a non-iPhone, will I be able to listen to the music that I've downloaded from iTunes and listen to on my iPod touch? Or will I need to keep using the iPod Touch and be out of luck when it stops working, if I'm using a non-iPhone if they no longer sell iPods by then? Also, what would the data plan cost after that 1 year expires? Sprint's network absolutely sucks where I live. Are you sure that I could pay Sprint prices but use the Verizon network for free? You say it "roams with Verizon", so would I have to pay roaming charges.
i dont think carriers still charge for roaming do they ?... i htink it is now included like we no longer have to pay $ .50 cents per txt message. at this point most carriers just include texts as part of the plan since they are relatively cheap. sprint and verizon (and most of the cheap mvno's) both use cdma towers and at+t and t-mobile (as well as the rest of the world) use gsm towers.

my advice would be for you to start weening yourself off of itunes. this article indicates that before palm went out of business, their palm pre used to sync with itunes but apple kept breaking (ehrm, updating) that functionality and the palm developers got tired of constantly trying to re-implement it:
Apple Blocks Palm Pre iTunes Syncing Again | WIRED

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-02-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 05:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,643,868 times
IMO, you'll want to stick with Apple if you have a lot of investment in their ecosystem.

I'd be careful about continuously roaming on Sprint. They have been known to cancel contracts on people that spend a large percentage of their time in roaming. They also offer almost no data while in roaming.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:34 PM

6,922 posts, read 7,003,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i dont think carriers still charge for roaming do they ?... i htink it is now included like we no longer have to pay $ .50 cents per txt message. at this point most carriers just include texts as part of the plan since they are relatively cheap. sprint and verizon (and most of the cheap mvno's) both use cdma towers and at+t and t-mobile (as well as the rest of the world) use gsm towers.

my advice would be for you to start weening yourself off of itunes. this article indicates that before palm went out of business, their palm pre used to sync with itunes but apple kept breaking (ehrm, updating) that functionality and the palm developers got tired of constantly trying to re-implement it:
Apple Blocks Palm Pre iTunes Syncing Again | WIRED
What do you recommend besides iTunes?

Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM

465 posts, read 611,201 times
My first Iphone was only $50. I had a flip phone and everyone else I knew had an Iphone. I got an email from best buy that they are offering the Iphone 4 for $50 if you are eligible for an upgrade. Which I was. I went ahead and upgraded to the Iphone, paid $50. I decided to keep the dumb phone for my daughter and got her a number that only cost an extra $10 month plus the $40 for my phone. We already had limitless texting etc... I think our GB was 2. My husband still had a dumb phone. So with the new Iphone, a third line I added an extra $50 to our bill.

When my husband returned from deployment he wanted to upgrade his phone, we waited until we came across a $50 deal for the samsung galaxy which is what he wanted. Target eventually offered it for $50 so we jumped on that. Now we have added another $40 to our plan. Oh, I forgot to add his phone came with a target $50 gift card with purchase of the samsung galaxy for $50. I was eligible to upgrade so I used that $50 target gift card to upgrade from the iphone 4 to the iphone 5. Cost me nothing!

Handed down the old iphone 4 to my daughter, we switched her old phone to my old Iphone 4. Now the bill has increased another $40. Funny thing is we got an offer form verizon via email to upgrade the iphone 4 to an iphone 5c for FREE last year. I called verizon and sure enough the offer was real. They fedexed a brand new Iphone 5c, blue to us with my daughter's number. Now we all have smart phones.

Our bill is $244.00 a month for 3 smart phones, insurance (which we used last month), and 10 GB. It's pretty high, but I know some other families that are paying up to $300 a month. Good thing land lines are cheap these days.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:46 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,541,204 times
Quote:
What do you recommend besides iTunes?
i just drag-and-drop folders of music files to my fone. android devices look like a usb flash drive when connected to a pc. it00ns just seems complicated.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,599,723 times
Quote:
Could be something worth looking into. But if I go with a non-iPhone, will I be able to listen to the music that I've downloaded from iTunes and listen to on my iPod touch? Or will I need to keep using the iPod Touch and be out of luck when it stops working, if I'm using a non-iPhone if they no longer sell iPods by then? Also, what would the data plan cost after that 1 year expires? Sprint's network absolutely sucks where I live. Are you sure that I could pay Sprint prices but use the Verizon network for free? You say it "roams with Verizon", so would I have to pay roaming charges.
You would need to transfer your iTunes music onto Google Play music to stream it over the cloud (though it wastes data if not using wifi) or manually drag the iTunes files into the device through a Usb connection with the computer (with this option you need a phone that has micro sd card expansion if you have a huge music library, Nexus 5 is like apple they don't have expandable storage you either get 16GB or 32GB)

One thing I don't understand is that you said that you always have wifi, so then why complain about the 500 mb of data? If you're using wifi then your data won't be used up. I had 500 mb of data with T-mobile and I never went over, though I always had wifi on at school, work and home or any other home I visited, some restaurants also have wifi connection now.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i just drag-and-drop folders of music files to my fone. android devices look like a usb flash drive when connected to a pc. it00ns just seems complicated.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is that almost all of my music was purchased from iTunes, and is in the iTunes AAC format, which non-iPhone smart phones probably cannot play. So it seems that I'm stuck either keeping my iPod Touch and dumb phone combination, or upgrading to an iPhone.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
You would need to transfer your iTunes music onto Google Play music to stream it over the cloud (though it wastes data if not using wifi) or manually drag the iTunes files into the device through a Usb connection with the computer (with this option you need a phone that has micro sd card expansion if you have a huge music library, Nexus 5 is like apple they don't have expandable storage you either get 16GB or 32GB)
Would non-iPhone smart phones be able to play iTunes AAC files?

Quote:
One thing I don't understand is that you said that you always have wifi, so then why complain about the 500 mb of data? If you're using wifi then your data won't be used up. I had 500 mb of data with T-mobile and I never went over, though I always had wifi on at school, work and home or any other home I visited, some restaurants also have wifi connection now.
When did I complain about the 500 mb of data? I'm confused, to be honest. The premise is that since I have WiFi most places, I'd rather keep my iPod Touch and my dumb phone, rather than paying ridiculous prices for a data plan that I won't use very much. My main point of this thread was that everybody seem to think smart phones are cheap, so I was wondering if they were aware of a cheap alternative that I am not aware of. It seems that they are not aware of any such alternative.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,086,386 times
Quote:
So in other words, I'm best to just stay with the current dumb phones that I have? That is fine. The only reason I started this thread is because everybody keeps commenting on how inexpensive smart phones are, which lead me to think that maybe I am missing something. Sounds like I am not missing anything, and that they just have a different idea than I d as to what is inexpensive.
Smart phones can be very cheap. However, you seem to be hell-bent on the iPhone 6 which is one of the most expensive of all of them. Do you really think that a company is going to hand you a phone worth $700+ for free and then allow you to join a 2-year $25/mo. plan? They would lose $100 on that deal over the life of the contract!

My suggestion would be to look at the mid-tier Android phones like a Nexus 5 or Moto X, or an older flagship model such as the Galaxy S4 or Xperia Z2. These have a multitude of features and are very good phones, despite not being the "latest and greatest" models. You can likely get them for free with a 2 year data plan. However, if you are bent on a top-tier flagship like the iPhone 6, you are going to have to pay for it.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:20 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,643,868 times
Quote:
My main point of this thread was that everybody seem to think smart phones are cheap, so I was wondering if they were aware of a cheap alternative that I am not aware of. It seems that they are not aware of any such alternative.
Cheap is relative. .. $199 for a phone every 3 or so years isn't really that much to me. And neither is the $40 extra a month for the smartphone plan / data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones