Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:49 AM

200 posts, read 271,152 times

Advertisements

Cell phone hardware is cheap. I'd like to get 3 or 4 cell phones and have them all use the same phone number. I pick up whichever phone I have around and use it if I get a call. I would prefer not to have to set up something like call forwarding, etc.

If I can do that, I can have one cell phone in the car, one in my study, one in the bedroom, one by the pool, one I keep in my pocket, etc.

Sometimes it is good to have the smart phone will all the bells and whistles, other times I just need basic phone functionality. But here is the important part: for basic phone functionality I don't need the big huge phone and I don't want to carry that extra weight in my pocket.

I've ordered from Amazon the smallest cell phone I can find that is about the size of car key fob and I'll carry that around with me. It is not here yet, unsure how I'll "connect" it with my current cell phone number or carrier.

Any cell phone gurus out there with suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:00 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
<Cell phone guru

Quite frankly, what you want to do cannot be done.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Can't be done with cell phones.....

If you really want this type of functionality, you'd have to use some other phone system that has the ability to simultaneously dial multiple numbers, and have it forward all of the calls to multiple phones.

My business phone system can do this (Ring Central). Someone calls my business number, and it simultaneously rings my home VOIP phone (with a special ring), my business VOIP phone, and my cell. Of course I have to give people that phone number, not my cell number, and it uses minutes on both systems when I'm on a call that came from the business system to my cell phone.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
If I can do that, I can have one cell phone in the car, one in my study, one in the bedroom, one by the pool, one I keep in my pocket, etc.
DS6421-3 + five DS6401 - VTech® Cordless Phones

The closest you can come is a bluetooth hookup for your cell phone. I've attached a link for one for 8 handsets. You put the base in a place where you can get good cellular reception, (and with an optional landline), and plug your cell phone in to recharge, and the handsets can make and receive calls all around the house (and the pool if you have power).

The bluetooth link goes by different brand names. Vtech calls it Connect to Cellâ„¢ and Panasonic has another name. Get a lot of headsets so you can put them in bathrooms and all over the house. If you leave some uncharged, it's cheaper to keep some headsets uncharged than to buy the replacement batteries.

Some people use Google Voice to get a phone number which then rings various devices.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:00 PM

200 posts, read 271,152 times
Thanks Paco.

I think that is the system I will go with. Plug my smart phone into the VTech cordless thingie and then have 4 or 5 phones around the house. Then have the mini cell phone in my pocket when I go out. Then call forwarding from the smart phone to the mini phone after 4 or 5 rings (hope that is feasible). I'll have two numbers but only give out the smart phone number.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
Plug my smart phone into the VTech cordless thingie and then have 4 or 5 phones around the house.
Well your smart phone should have bluetooth. The Vtech handset use DECT 6.0 which goes up to 500 feet from the base set.

It sounds like you live alone, but I am not sure. The Vtech handsets will take up to two bluetooth and one stand RJ phone connection for up to three lines.

With one cell phone the motivation is so that you can plug in your cell to recharge and not have to run around the house to where it is plugged in to answer it. The signal is pushed through the handsets around the house. Also some houses have dead spots for their cell service (particularly in the basement). The DECT 6.0 signal pierces concrete and flooring much better than a cell signal.

With two cell phones the motivation is similar. You simply plug in both cell phones within a few yards of the base set, and the VTECH phone display will tell you which one is ringing.

Optionally you can add another line which is (a) conventional phone line, (b) cable phone line, (c) a VOIP phone which can be very inexpensive like VONAGE, MAGIC JACK, or dozens of others, or (d) a wireless home service which is cellular but cheaper than a mobile phone.

Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone - Walmart.com

While your plan will work, it just seems expensive for no reason. On Verizon a smart phone is $40/month plus the data charge. To just leave it at home seems a waste (unless you don't have wireless). A basic phone with unlimited talk and text is $35/month on Verizon prepaid, and can go as low as $15 a month on some MVNOs. When you bring the mobile phone home it functions as the conduit for your calling from hom via the VTECH bluetooth linked home handsets.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:14 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
<Cell phone guru

Quite frankly, what you want to do cannot be done.
You for the word ''yet" at the end of your sentence.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:44 PM

Some people were surprised when Google did not offer a "triple play" with their Google Fiber. While phone service was the smallest revenue source for Comcast and Time Warner Cable (behind internet and television), it was not insiginificant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think Google is playing the long game. Whereas most cable companies essentially try and reproduce a traditional phone line at somewhat lower cost, Google will try and create something different.

The original post is making a very reasonable request. I think most people would like a select group of callers to be able to find us wherever we are without having to try multiple phone numbers. I think we will see Google make this capability the norm with their MVNO.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:05 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
How about "ever"? The OP wanted to buy specifically call phones to place around his house that could all be tied to one number. Even if Verizon would be willing to do that for you I am going to go ahead and guess they would charge you $40 per cellphone.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:09 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How about "ever"? The OP wanted to buy specifically call phones to place around his house that could all be tied to one number. Even if Verizon would be willing to do that for you I am going to go ahead and guess they would charge you $40 per cellphone.
"ever" or "never" are too big of words. Someone will invent the technology to do it, or similar, someday, and, yes, Verizon will charge out the wazoo for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones