Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times

Advertisements

Ok so I need some help from you experts out there. I live way out in the sticks, and in a mobile home which makes cell phone connections even worse inside the house. Anyhow, I should be able to make calls and send texts, use the net, etc., on my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 with just Wifi on right?

It must be my wifi connection because I can't, when I go to send texts just on Wifi here in my house it hangs and never sends, or if I try to make a call it's spotty and will usually just drop the call. I have no network signal in my house which is fine because my phone is mainly used when I'm in town, and at work, but since I have Wifi I should be able to at least use the basics of my phone right?

I have wireless internet, that's all I can get out here. So we have a huge antenna on the roof, and that feeds inside into my router, which in turns feeds our computers. The signal itself is great, we rarely if ever have any downtime, but something tells me it must be affecting my ability to use my phone properly in the house simply on Wifi.

Your help is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
According to this, the phone you use needs to support Wifi calling. Did the T-Mobile folks tell you that the GS5 does support the feature? I don't see a list of phones on their site that do support it, or I would point you to that list.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Read this Wi-Fi Calling: Samsung Galaxy S 5 and make sure your phone is set correctly.

Register the 911 address
To use Wi-Fi calling, you must first register your 911 address at my.t-mobile.com. If you do not, you may see a REG09 error. To learn how to register your 911 address, see: 911 addresses: My T-Mobile.

Set phone to use Wi-Fi or mobile networks
To set the connection preference for the phone to use Wi-Fi calling or mobile networks, follow these steps:

Turn on Wi-Fi and connect to a Wi-Fi network. (See 'Turn on and connect' below.)
From any Home screen, tap Apps.
Tap Settings.
Scroll to 'NETWORK CONNECTIONS,' then tap More networks.
If necessary, slide the Wi-Fi Switch right to the ON position.
Tap Wi-Fi Calling.
Tap Connection Preferences.
Select one of the these options:
Wi-Fi Preferred
Cellular Network Preferred
Never use Cellular Network

Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Ok so I need some help from you experts out there. I live way out in the sticks, and in a mobile home which makes cell phone connections even worse inside the house. Anyhow, I should be able to make calls and send texts, use the net, etc., on my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 with just Wifi on right?

It must be my wifi connection because I can't, when I go to send texts just on Wifi here in my house it hangs and never sends, or if I try to make a call it's spotty and will usually just drop the call. I have no network signal in my house which is fine because my phone is mainly used when I'm in town, and at work, but since I have Wifi I should be able to at least use the basics of my phone right?

I have wireless internet, that's all I can get out here. So we have a huge antenna on the roof, and that feeds inside into my router, which in turns feeds our computers. The signal itself is great, we rarely if ever have any downtime, but something tells me it must be affecting my ability to use my phone properly in the house simply on Wifi.

Your help is appreciated, thanks!
If "wireless" and "huge antenna" means you have a satellite-based ISP, then that may be the source of your trouble, and not the in-house WiFi itself.

For some background info, see:
Does VoIP Work With Satellite Service? | Science - Opposing Views
VoIP over Satellite - Does it Work? | WhichVoIP.com

Have you contacted your ISP to see if they recommend what you are trying to do ?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:29 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcy4-8oMh58

My guess is that you don't have your address on file at T-mobile for 911 calls. Or you simply didn't turn on wifi calling.

But for the truly cheap, some people are using Google Voice/Hangouts/Dialer on their android celll phones, which requires free wifi. Most people have wifi at home, the office, the grocery store, and I find at every strip mall there is at least one place with free wifi (Panera, McDonalds, burger King, Dunkin Donuts, etc.).

The least expensive Pay as You Go plan for T-Mobile is $3/month which includes 30 minutes of talk or 30 text messages — or any combination of the two, up to 30 — and lets you keep your phone number from month to month. Add additional talk and text at a low flat rate of 10 cents per minute/message (sending and receiving)

If you are disciplined enough to use WiFi for most calling and messages, then you only need the Pay as You Go plan for emergencies and messages from the road when you are stuck.

Other plans are even cheaper on a per minute basis. The yearly SelectelWirelss $75 plan for 2000 minutes and 2000 texts can be as cheap as 1.875 cents per minute or text if you use all your allowance. That may be the lowest rate I have ever seen.

Wireless Plans

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-31-2015 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones