Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:45 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

Some babies have $1,000 strollers too. Oh no, the world is ending! People with money buy nice things!

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 06-05-2015 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:06 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I'd laugh right in my kid's face if she asked for a $600 phone.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:15 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Providing things for your kids does not necessarily create a sense of entitlement. Matter of fact, in my adult son it created a sense of wanting to work hard so he could have the nicer things in life like his parents and like he had growing up.
Fair enough. I don't see that myself, but motivating factors are open to interpretation. What about my post about endangering your child by giving them something so valuable that they are the target of thieves who might hurt them trying to steal the phone?

While there may be several reasons, I would think that the primary reason to give an 11 year old a phone is for her protection. If it is stolen then you've betrayed the primary reason for owning the phone. While anything could be stolen, a $20 phone is a much lower target.

BTW: my phone is an $80 phone that I bought on sale for $20. Usually I have the flip phone that they give me free with the contract. I have lost them in the past, and I always buy the cheapest replacement that I can manage.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Her Birthday is this month and she has been wanting a phone. I can understand that. But $600!!!
Then she will need a special case to protect it. What type of phone would you get your 11 year old daughter

My 11 year old daughter would not be getting a phone no matter what her friends think and any adult who spends that much on a phone for a child has bery few usable brain cells in their head.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Her Birthday is this month and she has been wanting a phone. I can understand that. But $600!!!
Then she will need a special case to protect it. What type of phone would you get your 11 year old daughter
It's really none of your business what your son gets his daughter is it?

Old 06-05-2015, 03:58 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Shucks, I see 17 year old girls driving BMW rag tops.
A $600 phone? Whatever.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:05 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
It's really none of your business what your son gets his daughter is it?
The forum had a post from an adult man who complained about his father telling him that the 3 minute setting on his security lights was wasting electricity and he should use the 1 minute setting instead. That certainly qualifies as "none of the father's business". The question is so detailed that it borders on instability.

But a $600 phone might compromise the safety of an 11 year old girl. In this case I think a family member has the right or even an obligation to question this decision.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The forum had a post from an adult man who complained about his father telling him that the 3 minute setting on his security lights was wasting electricity and he should use the 1 minute setting instead. That certainly qualifies as "none of the father's business". The question is so detailed that it borders on instability.

But a $600 phone might compromise the safety of an 11 year old girl. In this case I think a family member has the right or even an obligation to question this decision.
I don't see where safety was the OP's question.
And, I think she is the only "family member" posting. Not sure, but no one else has identified themselves as a family member.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Is it an iPhone?

The iPhone C is free. The biggest capacity iPhone 6 at 128 Gb is only $499.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Depending on his carrier and his plan, he could be putting $0 down and paying a monthly amount of +/- $25. On a family plan, her phone could be adding very little to their monthly budget.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about her sudden open access to the Internet, but if her parents are tech-savvy, they may have that all figured out.

Bottom line, OP, do you trust that you've raised your son well to be a good parent to his own child?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My 11 year old daughter would not be getting a phone no matter what her friends think and any adult who spends that much on a phone for a child has bery few usable brain cells in their head.
No phone at all? Why not?

I can sort of understand not a smartphone, but in this day and age, I think any child who is starting to be independent and away from parents all the time need to have some sort of a phone. In the "olden days", you made sure they had a quarter and knew where the pay phone is. Now there are no pay phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones