Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:26 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times

Advertisements

I was in the Apple store last week. I was looking at the watches (just looking ) and commented to the sales associate that the smaller watch was too big for my wrist. She remarked that many children wear these watches. Say what?! She explained that the [little snowflakes] needed a device that vibrated against the wrist because the [snowflakes] allegedly did not hear their IPhone ring when their parent attempted to reach them.

To answer the OP's question: No. Never. In fact, I would have prohibited grandma or anyone else giving a $600 phone to my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't see where safety was the OP's question.
And, I think she is the only "family member" posting. Not sure, but no one else has identified themselves as a family member.
The OP didn't specify what her concern was. It could range from concern about an 11 year old breaking such a valuable phone, it could be about concern about keeping up with her other 11 year old friends, it could be about ease of access to the internet, or it could be about making her a target for theft which could be violent.

If it was her concern about her son buying such a phone for his wife, she is probably out of bounds. But I think that it is OK to voice your concern about the wisdom of putting your child in danger.

The FiLip devices are designed to keep a child of 11 safe. It makes a lot more sense than an iPhone
FiLIP Technology

BTW, the parent is free to do what they wish. The OP said what do you think?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:04 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Her Birthday is this month and she has been wanting a phone. I can understand that. But $600!!!
Then she will need a special case to protect it. What type of phone would you get your 11 year old daughter
My kids didn't get a phone until 13 and it was NOT a smart phone. All they need is to call and text. At 15, if they used and took care of the reg phone they could get a smart phone. One of my kids earned that smartphone. The next in line never uses the reg phone so will have to wait to get a smart phone. The next in line will prob not even get the reg phone at 13 because he doesn't even talk on one much so an iPod will do.
I personally don't think an 11 year old is responsible enough to be in charge of such a high cost item nor can they be expected to call, text, use data within the plan limits.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Her Birthday is this month and she has been wanting a phone. I can understand that. But $600!!!
Then she will need a special case to protect it. What type of phone would you get your 11 year old daughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The OP didn't specify what her concern was. It could range from concern about an 11 year old breaking such a valuable phone, it could be about concern about keeping up with her other 11 year old friends, it could be about ease of access to the internet, or it could be about making her a target for theft which could be violent.

If it was her concern about her son buying such a phone for his wife, she is probably out of bounds. But I think that it is OK to voice your concern about the wisdom of putting your child in danger.

The FiLip devices are designed to keep a child of 11 safe. It makes a lot more sense than an iPhone
FiLIP Technology

BTW, the parent is free to do what they wish. The OP said what do you think?

Please pull "what do you think" out of the OP's text.
I see, "What type of phone would you get your 11 year old daughter"
That is much more focused than rambling about mugging and safety.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Please pull "what do you think" out of the OP's text.
I see, "What type of phone would you get your 11 year old daughter"
That is much more focused than rambling about mugging and safety.
I think, I would get an 11 year old a less valuable phone. Acceptable?

I didn't realize that I was rambling about safety. You tell me how you can read an article like the one below, and not think you are compromising the safety of a little girl by giving her a $600 phone.
Apple Picking: How The iPhone Became An Object Worth Killing For

Quote:
Shucks, I see 17 year old girls driving BMW rag tops. A $600 phone? Whatever.
Do you honestly think that a 17 year old and an 11 old girl are equally capable of defending themselves?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Have you ever seen anyone get mugged? Have you ever seen someone grab a piece of jewelry around the neck of a woman (which is not worth anywhere near $600) and twist and pull on it until she can't breathe when mercifully the chain breaks. If so you would think hard about walking around with something valuable, and even less about putting your own daughter in that kind of danger.

I very much like the idea of Android phone with everything backed up on google. If I am mugged, then I hand over the phone and whatever cash I have on me, I buy a new phone, and get my data back. Your daughter's safety should be far more important than helping satisfy her sense of self worth by having a device that her friends have.
My phone is android.

And what the hell does your post have to do with anything that I just said?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:21 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
No phone at all? Why not?

I can sort of understand not a smartphone, but in this day and age, I think any child who is starting to be independent and away from parents all the time need to have some sort of a phone. In the "olden days", you made sure they had a quarter and knew where the pay phone is. Now there are no pay phones.
I can tell you that those "olden days" were not that long ago, 13 years to be exact for me so what exactly is your point in mentioning the "olden days"?

At the age of 11 a child does not need a cell phone. Our children are almost all over the age of 30 now and none of them had a cell phone or a pager at that age.
Mr. CSD and I survived pretty well without a cell phone until we were adults when cell phones came out and were more affordable and we did just fine without them.
I was almost 40 years old before I got a cell phone and in my opinion there is no reason a child needs a cell phone.

If that child is being bullied for not having a cell phone that child needs to report the bullies, a cell phone will not cure one from being bullied because a bully will find something new to be a bully with.

PS ~~ The "olden days" pay phones were only a dime in the area I lived in......

Old 06-05-2015, 08:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I see no issue with giving your kid a phone.
But not with internet on it.
Unrestricted internet access is a no.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 PM

520 posts, read 532,321 times
Its just an iPhone. Millions upon millions of kids have em now. The vast majority of them arent devil spawn. Get over it. That 600 dollar iphone will be a 50 dollar phone in 3 years and low tech. You dont want your kids to become technological neanderthals in an information economy. Its about the only major industries we have left. Do you know why they put a tennis racket in the hands of a 6 year old to make the prodigies or sit em down at a piano early? The more you retard your kids tech knowledge the worse they will turn out.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And what the hell does your post have to do with anything that I just said?
Nothing. I misused your comment and I am sorry.

Elementary School children should not be walking with anything worth $600 (even if the actual sale price was much less). It doesn't matter how rich you are. You don't need to put your children in danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I see no issue with giving your kid a phone. But not with internet on it. Unrestricted internet access is a no.
This is a serious question. You may able to avoid buying a cellular service with unrestricted access to cell data. But I was able to purchase an android phone for $20. Even 11 year old kids can lay their hands on $20 from birthday money. They are around wifi frequently at home or in public places. The browser on the phone works like any other browser. They can be sitting on the back porch looking at this phone and shove it in their pocket. How do you police something so readily available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones