Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times

Advertisements

I have this htc evo 4g smartphone(refurb) and the battery life is horrible. I hardly even use the phone and the battery life is down to 1/4 by noon wtf?? some days it will hold the charge better, but other days it will just randomly die. I hardly use it because ill use an app for like 10 minutes and it will drain my battery to nothing. apparently the display drains the battery, so I reduced the backlighting but the display still drains it.

I was thinking of getting an iphone 4. im not much of a trendy smartphone user. I just look for the bargains. the gps feature comes in handy. the most I am willing to spend is $150. I don't even use the phone that much, but I would like to know that if im gonna use it, that the battery is not gonna die before I even get around to using it. any suggestions? should I get the iphone 4? I heard the battery life sucked, but that is from actual use of the phone, which I wouldn't mind. I saw it on other sites for like $100
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
As long as you buy NEW any phone should get the average user through a full day...

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM

11:30am and the damn thing is dead. I didn't even use it....

should I just get a new battery?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Are there some apps constantly running in the background? What about Bluetooth or location?
Check the settings to see what is using your battery the most...

Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are there some apps constantly running in the background? What about Bluetooth or location?
Check the settings to see what is using your battery the most...
I just checked my battery life usage and it said the "dialer" was taking most of my juice, followed by Wi-Fi. I could turn off the wifi but I don't get the issue with the dialer. I don't understand why that would be still running in the background....I guess the back button is not the way to exit the dialer??? lol

either way, the battery life is a major concern.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I just checked my battery life usage and it said the "dialer" was taking most of my juice, followed by Wi-Fi. I could turn off the wifi but I don't get the issue with the dialer. I don't understand why that would be still running in the background....I guess the back button is not the way to exit the dialer??? lol

either way, the battery life is a major concern.
Many services run in the background whether they're needed or not. Telling us your battery usage info without including the percentages doesn't tell us much, but I would guess you have a bad battery.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Many services run in the background whether they're needed or not. Telling us your battery usage info without including the percentages doesn't tell us much, but I would guess you have a bad battery.
the dialer was like 35% and I think the wifi was around 20-25%. all I did was go into my voicemail for like 30 seconds and then I got out of there. 3 hours later my phone was dead.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
the dialer was like 35% and I think the wifi was around 20-25%. all I did was go into my voicemail for like 30 seconds and then I got out of there. 3 hours later my phone was dead.
That seems quite high for those two services. How long have you had it? Perhaps a reset might be in order, may be a software issue rather than a bad battery.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
Reset your phone!!!!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,939 times
With Verizon had a 4G cellphone with same problem.
  1. Battery was good for 4 to 6 hours before before flat-lining.
  2. At the time didn't qualify for a new phone because my year contract ended March 2015.
  3. For $40 purchased a Android LG 3G that does everything I need (phone, text and email).
  4. Battery lasts 2 to 3 days, has browser and camera for pictures and video. Even fits in my pocket.
Last month Verizon tried to convince switching to free new 4Gphone (and entering into a new 2 year contract). Everything looked good placed the order. Thought about the requirement of entering into a new contract called back and cancelled. I have had no problems with my Android LG...

You are probably have a contract that has to expire before you can get a new phone. What you can do is buy another (cheaper) phone and assign it your number. Problem solved...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones