Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you agree with?
Cell Phones do more good than bad 33 47.83%
Cell Phones do more bad than good 36 52.17%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,864 times

Advertisements

Is it me or are Cell Phones destructive?
I was walking in NYC a few weeks ago and I noticed something a little different since the last time I was there. The last time I was in NYC was roughly 10 years ago. I know it's such a long time ago. This was when cell phones were not as high tech as they are now. In 2005, you saw more people talking to one another, more noises, laughter, and walking while "looking up". When I went last week I noticed more people were quiet, to themselves, and looking down not paying attention. We see this all the time. Probably 99% of everyone we see is either texting or on their cell phones. Whether it's driving, walking, at the dinner table, or at the doctors office. Heck my doctors office got rid of magazines in the waiting room because nobody reads from them anymore. It has gone to a point where there is pretty much no such thing as face-to-face communication anymore. It has become minimal and more people are focused on a little cell phone then what's going on in front of them. Cell phones have become that thing were we feel empty inside if we don't have it on us. I don't believe it's good for kids either. They don't look up at you when you talk to them and they don't build the empathy. I feel like parents only give their kids cell phones because they don't want their kids to be left out and rather have them fit in. "All the other kids have them so why can't I". It just seems like face to face communications are a thing of the past. Technology is changing the way we live our lives. Each new gadget that comes up inches us further away from the outside world. I just think there's more bad than good when it comes to cell phones. I also notice that parents are blocking the view of their kid who's graduating high school with a cell phone, when there never going to watch the video that their recording anyways. Put down your cell phone and watch your kid with your own eyes. Your eyes have a much better resolution than your camera. I'm not trying to make it sound like that cell phone are the worst possible thing to ever exist but there's some good things about cell phones that we didn't have many years ago. It can connect us to old friends or we talk to family away from home. It may feel like were gaining something but we're also losing who we really are. Anyone disagree or agree?

Last edited by HumpDay; 05-29-2015 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:28 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
Pure evil.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,827,390 times
I think they are good for a lot of things, but when people are reading their phones and I am trying to have a conversation with them it drives me nuts.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
I think like most things, people took something good and abused it into something bad. A lot if things that were created with good intentions have turned into vices due to the way people use them: TV, internet, fast food, plastic surgery and cell phones to name a few.

Cell phones are a great thing. You can always reach someone if your car dies and you end up stranded or find yourself in an emergency situation. It's easy to keep tabs on your kids when they are out, it's great for business to have that constant contact. The problem is, we've become so connected, we've forgotten how to disconnect at appropriate times, like during dinner, family time or at a party.

Since everything is on our phone, we've also lost the need to engage with other people when out in the world. We don't need to ask for directions or the time or what to purchase for a project. We can just look it up. It was funny, there was one day when we needed to run errands, but both our phones were dead, so we went without for the day. We talked to A LOT of people that day, when normally we just stay in our bubble. I think it's something everyone should try or do now and then to remind yourself of the world around your

So no, I don't think cell phones themselves are destroying things, but rather the abusive nature of humans. If people would find a balance between their phone and real life, we could have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:00 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,704 times
Cell phones are a great improvement to life, people without manners who use them are the downfall of society. Cell phones should be required to come with a manners guide on their proper use.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I think they are good for a lot of things, but when people are reading their phones and I am trying to have a conversation with them it drives me nuts.
Almost as bad as women putting make up on while driving to work, eh?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
They do a heck of a lot more good than bad.

If the OP means people seem to walk around with them stuck in their ears, can't sit down without tapping away and refuse to turn them off in areas that have Turn Off Cell Phones signs posted...

Don't blame the technology, blame the users who were brought up without manners and respect for others...

Old 06-01-2015, 12:12 AM

531 posts, read 595,095 times
I long to return to the 1990s when people had more instances of proper face to face interaction and were motivated to get out more. Nowadays every other person on the street seem to be glued to their idevice or other smart phone. It's kinda sad to be frank, all benefits of smartphone technology considered

Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
There are many things that were considered rude at one time. Transistor radios in the 1950's were considered the height of rudeness, even if you listened to them with earplugs. Screening phone calls with Caller ID or playing the volume while someone is leaving you a message is common today, but when answering machines first came many older people used to scream at them "I know you're there listening to me; pick up the d@mn phone". Now anyone can be videotaped at any time. God forbid you should be a celebrity and try to run to the store without makeup.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:47 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
They do far, far more good than bad.

I think blaming people's lack of communication with others/strangers on a cell phone is backwards. It's a choice to use your phone. If people would rather be doing something interesting on their phone than socializing that's a choice they're making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones