Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post
Have you considered Cricket? They are owned by AT&T and use the AT&T network. My parents have been using Cricket in Florida since they launched are very happy with the service. If I didn't have a sizeable corporate discount with AT&T, I would use Cricket.

All taxes/fees are included in the plans available on their website.

Good luck!
The problem with Cricket and the other MVNO's, especially when it comes to AT&T, is you aren't getting the same service coverage. So if you need the AT&T partner coverage you might be out of luck. The other issue when it comes to AT&T is they throttle some of their MVNO's. There is an article floating around somewhere about it. IIRC, MVNO's like AT&T's GoPhone get preferential treatment compared to Cricket, Net10, Straight Talk, etc. YMMV.

This might be the article, but I thought there was an actual news article covering the issue.

Best MVNO's Revisted - BestMVNO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 05:09 PM

142 posts, read 178,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The problem with Cricket and the other MVNO's, especially when it comes to AT&T, is you aren't getting the same service coverage. So if you need the AT&T partner coverage you might be out of luck. The other issue when it comes to AT&T is they throttle some of their MVNO's. There is an article floating around somewhere about it. IIRC, MVNO's like AT&T's GoPhone get preferential treatment compared to Cricket, Net10, Straight Talk, etc. YMMV.

This might be the article, but I thought there was an actual news article covering the issue.

Best MVNO's Revisted - BestMVNO
Cricket is an AT&T prepaid service, it's not just another MVNO. You are getting the same coverage of AT&T's network. They do limit top speed to 4Mbps on HSPA+ and 8Mbps on LTE, but 85-90% of users wouldn't know the difference. I don't think I've ever been on a partner network domestically.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post
Cricket is an AT&T prepaid service, it's not just another MVNO. You are getting the same coverage of AT&T's network. They do limit top speed to 4Mbps on HSPA+ and 8Mbps on LTE, but 85-90% of users wouldn't know the difference. I don't think I've ever been on a partner network domestically.
Typically you get the host's native network/coverage which is not as good as coverage from the host company directly. And, like you said, they limit data speeds, roaming, etc., so it isn't really the same as getting service directly from the host. I'm not saying Cricket is bad or not suitable for most people, just that it isn't the same as getting service from AT&T directly. AT&T GoPhone is their prepaid service which probably gets you more than what you would get from an MVNO.

For reference:

Cellular Maps.com-Coverage Comparison of the Top 5 Cellular Networks
3G and 4G LTE Cell Coverage Map - OpenSignal

Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 PM

142 posts, read 178,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Typically you get the host's native network/coverage which is not as good as coverage from the host company directly. And, like you said, they limit data speeds, roaming, etc., so it isn't really the same as getting service directly from the host. I'm not saying Cricket is bad or not suitable for most people, just that it isn't the same as getting service from AT&T directly. AT&T GoPhone is their prepaid service which probably gets you more than what you would get from an MVNO.
Sure, but you do realize that Cricket is also an AT&T prepaid service? The way you're stating it, it appears that you don't.

Analysts: AT&T will focus more on profitability and keeping churn low than on promotions - FierceWireless

Specifically:

Quote:
AT&T executives also think the line between prepaid and postpaid service is continuing to blur, and the company's management is "upbeat" about the performance of its Cricket and GoPhone prepaid brands.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:09 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I'm going to check our Cricket. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones