Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

I give up. Mangoarrow is right and we are all wrong. Period. Let's just let it go.

I will say, lastly, there's no way Apple spent 100's of millions in R&D.
(Prediction Mangoarrow, tell me I don't know anything about R&D costs if I believe that.....)

PS... still loving my Android Watch...can't wait until Christmas time to upgrade to something newer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
My mom got one... what a waste of money! It's a crappy watch... too bulky and weird looking and it's a crappy smart device... too small and limited in function. The battery life also sucks and it's rendered completely pointless when it also needs an iphone in your pocket to work.

Gawd apple... what were you thinking? "Dick Tracy" was cool back in the 30's but all those kids are dead or getting very close.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
No it's not, not even close. This is Apple trying to compete with wearables. If this was Apple trying to make a luxury watch I think everyone would concede that they are failing.

Luxury watches are finely crafted mechanical pieces of precisioned art that will not become obsolete as technology improves. The Apple watch? Not so much. Vacheron-Constantin and Breguet have nothing to worry about.
I agree. And fine luxury watches they are. For people that appreciate such things. They can be passed from generation to generation. I have my father's old watch which I use on weekends. Made sometime in the 50's, I think. Still ticking.

But can the software be updated to also take voice notes? Voice texts? For geo locator? Scannable? For the new, rich generation? Bluetooth? Sorry, no software. Not capable of anything else but to keep time.

A friend of mine who used to work at Cyma Watch office in NYC (since closed or moved, I think) once said to me: "we don't just sell luxury watches, .... we're actually in the jewelry business. Our customers buy our products for fashion and luxury, not to know the time. They buy them because it makes them feel good about being very successful. And they want to show it as well."

He's now at another luxury watch company. I guess I'd better tell him that they're wasting their time on planning for what they think is a new competitor. I'll tell him that you said Apple is not a competitor in their luxury jewelry watch market. The Apple Watch is no threat to them. That all their research is wrong because the people hanging out at city-data said so. While we're at it, might as well tell the folks at other luxury watch makers that there's no need to plan for their own "Luxury" version of a smart watch. Never mind that the generation that appreciated "finely crafted mechanical pieces of precisioned art" are dying off and the newer generation that does appreciate them are also very tech savvy to boot, having grown up with computers and cell phones.

For perspective, here's an old article:
http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/#/sites/arieladams/2014/09/10/is-the-luxury-watch-industry-ready-for-the-apple-watch/

A basic search for, say, " apple watch vs luxury watch" results in several articles from Forbes, Slate, among others, about what I was saying about the Apple watch - that this is their FIRST foray into the "luxury watch" market. They'll then refine and re-tune their strategies for the next version.

I wonder what Angela Ahrendts thinks:
Apple's Hire Of Burberry's Angela Ahrendts Shows Its Future Is In Lifestyle, Not Tech

So no, I don't think Apple is looking at it as they're "competing in wearables". The profit margins in wearables are not high enough for Apple. If you worked at Apple, would you really want to compete with all the riff-raff? Or would you try to position yourself on the high end?

On the other hand, a different perspective:
Apple Watch: Is it a threat to luxury watchmakers like Rolex?

As far as sales volume, I think Apple does not have to sell as many watches as iphones. They just have to sell as many watches as Rolex, Seiko, Omega, or Breitling, etc... with huge profit margins.

Wait till the "you're-poor-and-I'm-super-wealthy, diamond-encrusted" Apple Watch comes out . Do you think those newly-minted millionaires in China and India would buy them?

Hey, there's an idea: create a gold-diamond-emerald-ruby bracelet / case, that can hold your $15K Apple Watch?! Maybe make it water proof? Whaddayathink?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:48 PM

922 posts, read 1,148,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
iPod, and (probably) to a lesser extent, Mac users were the fanbase. Anybody familiar with the iPod already knew about Apple, iTunes, how synergetic the Apple products were, and how seamlessly you could transfer music, games, and other media.

Excuse me? Then what exactly do you use for comparison purposes? A Macbook? A Toyota? No, you compare it to a similar product that it competes with and that is the Android based watches. (Or maybe that's just me being silly) Just on the first day they sold short of a million watches, more than the Android watches sold in an entire year and that's with 1 billion Android phones shipped in 2014. So, I'm not seeing how you can call this, and only this, a flop.

Android shipped 1 billion smartphones in 2014 - Business Insider

Personally, I would wait until this comes out.

Cicret Bracelet - The Future is Now

You can't seriously be comparing Apple of 2007 to the current Apple. They could package Steve Job's hair today and sell 2 Million of it overnight. It would still outsell the Watch.

So if Apple sells 60 million iPhone 7s total, it would be wildly successful in your mind since it beats all its competitors. Meanwhile, Cook would be holding emergency meetings as Apple stocks drop 50% in value.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My mom got one... what a waste of money! It's a crappy watch... too bulky and weird looking and it's a crappy smart device... too small and limited in function. The battery life also sucks and it's rendered completely pointless when it also needs an iphone in your pocket to work.

Gawd apple... what were you thinking? "Dick Tracy" was cool back in the 30's but all those kids are dead or getting very close.

That's how all my family and friends who are huge Apple fans feel. A $400 iphone accessory that no one wants.

Heck it were $99, I'd probably get one as a gag gift or something but not $400.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
it's rendered completely pointless when it also needs an iphone in your pocket to work.
I hear this a lot. It's SUPPOSED to work with the phone. Kind of the point.

What do you want it to do? Do you really want to type texts from your wrist? Speak them? Yea, because voice recognition is always 100%, right? Have a phone call talking to your wrist? Tweet from your wrist? Take a pic and post it to Instagram from your wrist?
Have a monthly data plan FOR YOUR WATCH?

I don't. Please explain to me how your perfect watch would work.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

What do you want it to do? Do you really want to type texts from your wrist? Speak them? Yea, because voice recognition is always 100%, right? Have a phone call talking to your wrist? Tweet from your wrist? Take a pic and post it to Instagram from your wrist?

I don't wear a watch. If I want to know what time it is, I look at my phone.

Here's problem with the Apple Watch:

It's like adding internet access to your refrigerator... nobody is gonna stand in front of the fridge and surf the web, especially when you have better options. The most common reason stated for putting internet on a fridge is to inventory it's contents but really, who does that? All you have to do is look inside to see what you have. The apple watch is the same... you already have better options that do everything the watch can do and it only serves to cost you money and unnecessarily complicate your life.

Also, watches are jewelry even more than they are timekeeping tools. Electronics make horrible jewelry... they aren't made of precious metals, are all designed basically the same and are obsolete a year later, rendering them essentially worthless in a very short period of time.

Anyway, the market has spoken and apple watch probably won't be around for very long.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I don't wear a watch. If I want to know what time it is, I look at my phone.
Yea... I used to do that, too. Used to say that exact same thing. Now? You know what I do as opposed to: pulling my phone out of my pocket, and hitting the button to wake it up?
I tilt my wrist.

Quote:
Here's problem with the Apple Watch:
The apple watch is the same... you already have better options that do everything the watch can do and it only serves to cost you money and unnecessarily complicate your life.
No. It's nothing like that.
It's meant to COMPLEMENT the phone.
My watch actually keeps me from staring at my phone all the time. Worth it. My phone actually INCREASES my social interactions with my friends. Worth it.
How? Scenario: Out with friends, you get a text. Your phone either beeps or vibrates. You pull your phone out. You unlock it. You find the text app. Open it. Read the message. Well...my god, you've done that much work, you may as well respond. So you remove yourself from that social situation for a minute or two.
*I am not referring to any person specifically because I just know some will say "I never do that, I don't look at my phone when I'm with my friends...blablabla..." yes, ok and guess what? A LOT of people do.
Anyway, as I was saying. You want to know what happens with me today? I get a text. I glance at my watch. *tap. Ah, that's just Joe, it can wait, and return back to my friends. It cuts down on the constant *checking my phone, *checking my phone.

Not to even mention as an IT Professional I am on call 24/7/365. Pre-watch I had to carry my phone ALL OVER MY HOUSE. Got to be near me if a server blows up on a Saturday morning and I get a call to get to the office. Man...I hated that. ALWAYS having to have my phone in my hand, in my pocket, somewhere very close to me. Post-watch? I walk in the door at home and drop my phone in the kitchen. Notifications are sent to my watch no matter where I go anywhere in my house.

Again... not for you. That's fine. But to summarily dismiss the entire market because YOU think it's dumb? Come on.

*Note: remember I only spent $100 on my watch. Retail was $229 at the time. No chance in hell I would spend $350+++ on one of these.

Quote:
Anyway, the market has spoken and apple watch probably won't be around for very long.
Let's revisit this thread next year.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I agree 100%. I keep hearing this argument that the Apple Watch or smart watches in general are useless because you need a phone to have it work.

Well guess what? Do you really want a stand alone smart watch that has it's own plan with minutes and data and what not? Yeah it'd be real fun to surf the net on a smart watch.

The day when Apple releases a smart watch that doesn't need an iPhone people will complain that they now have to pay more monthly for a new watch plan and how impossible it is to surf the net on their watch.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I agree 100%. I keep hearing this argument that the Apple Watch or smart watches in general are useless because you need a phone to have it work.

Well guess what? Do you really want a stand alone smart watch that has it's own plan with minutes and data and what not? Yeah it'd be real fun to surf the net on a smart watch.

The day when Apple releases a smart watch that doesn't need an iPhone people will complain that they now have to pay more monthly for a new watch plan and how impossible it is to surf the net on their watch.

Silliest argument yet.

When I got the original iPhone......... I remember AT&T jacking up my monthly phone bill with "iPhone surcharges." Did that stop me or others from embracing this new technology? Of course not, consumers will embrace products that makes their lives better. So your claims that no one would embrace a stand alone Watch that makes calls and surfs the web because of fees is simply ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones