Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM

698 posts, read 986,216 times

Advertisements

I've been hanging on to my Galaxy S3 due to the fact that Samsung took out my two favorite features in the 6; micro SD and removable battery.

On Sunday I unplugged my phone from the from it’s charger, I was streaming music to my Bluetooth system pressed on the camera icon to take a picture the music stopped and screen went black. Haven’t been able to turn her on since. I've tried everything listed on Internet and had a conversation w/T-Mobile which was zero help.

So it looks like I'm upgrading. Looked at prices and believe it or not, the iPhone is slightly cheaper than the S3. Now that the two features that I really liked are gone I'm considering the iPhone.

Any S3 users move to iPhone, what was your experience, would you do it again or go with the S6?

Lastly, for the most part I'm a PC guy, I have a iPad but only use it for work, rarely outside of that.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 AM

71 posts, read 181,608 times
I did exactly that, S3 to iPhone 6 for the first time and would never go back to an Android platform device. IOS is just so much more smoother and functional. It works when I need it too and doesn't lag like all other Android devices do inheriting a plethora of bugs with each new update.

The hardware is top notch and if you ever have a problem within 1 year you can take it to an Apple Store for fix or brand new replacement, something not available for any Android or Samsung device. This is actually what turned me off to Samsung when my S3 kept having issues due to manufacturer defects and multiple replacements. The phone finally was bricked by a pushed Samsung update and would not turn on. I had to wait a whole week while jumping through hoops for a refurb phone to be shipped with horrible customer service from Samsung.

I've owned HTC and Motorola Android devices for years and it's all more of the same. Hardware issues rivaled by software issues with each update making the phone slower and eventually useless till you are forced to upgrade before your 2 years are up just to repeat the cycle. No phone or platform is perfect and yes Apple devices have bugs too. I've just noticed far less headache owning the iPhone 6 than all of the Android phones I've had over the years. Apple phones don't seem to go obsolete after a couple of years like Android devices. And certain apps seem to operate better/than its Android counterpart. Get the iPhone 6. Best phone I've owned yet and I've had it almost a year since release.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Thanks for your post. Any issues with moving contacts etc., remember my phone is DOA, I had sync w/Google turned on. Also, I have a lot of music, I remember one of the PITA with my iPad (in-fact I gave up) was trying to load my non iTunes music on it.

Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM

71 posts, read 181,608 times
In the iPhone under Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calenders there is a an option to add your Google account and it will pull your Google contacts down onto the phone.

I myself am not a big fan of ITunes. Pretty cumbersome if you ask me. I prefer Windows drag and drop. No real way to get around it I guess. But that is minor, I would not let that stop you from getting the phone.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:11 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
I actually made the leap from my S3 to Iphone 6 a few days ago, and it has been like night and day. Android is just garbage by comparison. Everything on the Iphone is smooth, easy to find and setup. With android, I was constantly having to dig through help guides to find menus to turn off features that would just suddenly pop up like that N symbol on the toolbar.

The biggest improvement for me though is battery life. My S3 was getting so ridiculous that I could drain a battery from 100% within less than 2 hours of use. And it would sometimes get so hot I couldn't hold it. I tried new batteries, battery saver apps, but it was a constant stress of seeing the juice go down fast. A big part of the problem is the Samsung screens just always looked too dim for me so I had to crank the brightness up full blast. My Iphone is brighter than the Samsung even at 75%. I charged the Iphone before bed, and woke up till see that it was only down to 97%. My samsung would have lost 40%-50% battery life overnight.

The other big selling point for me is you get a bigger library of apps and they run smoother on Iphone.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:58 AM

237 posts, read 499,549 times
Most of the iphone fanboys here are competely exaggerating. The current iphone hardware is several generations behind. The Galaxy S6 and Note4 stomp the iphone in every possible way. Zero comparison.

Imagine the look on the face of a kid who grew up with Lego when you give him a set of Duplo for his birthday. Same with giving an Android user an Iphone. They outgrew that childs play years ago.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM

After looking into upgrade options I elected to order a certified pre-owned Galaxy S3. Really liked the phone, have the case etc. and it's a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones