U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:03 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,961,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Someone mentioned that Android phones are more affordable, but I could not find one more affordable than a Windows phone. I also couldn't find one that had the latest version of Android, and had the features we wanted. All of the phones I found cost the same as an iPhone.
Yep, the only way they are more affordable is if you buy the really low end crap phones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:32 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Quote:
Someone mentioned that Android phones are more affordable, but I could not find one more affordable than a Windows phone. I also couldn't find one that had the latest version of Android, and had the features we wanted. All of the phones I found cost the same as an iPhone.
You mean the 2 Windows phones that are available? Which of the 2 that are over a year old are you referring to? (Not giving you a hard time here, giving it to Microsoft... release a new phone already!)

And what features were missing from the flagship Androids you looked at that weren't available?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM

6,021 posts, read 3,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Yep, the only way they are more affordable is if you buy the really low end crap phones.
some of the blu's are pretty good. also lenovo k3 note, 1-touch idol, oppo 1+, ...
most of them are around $200 but they come unlocked from china.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 AM

12,717 posts, read 12,338,649 times
Moto G (2015) from Motorola runs the latest Android 5.1 and is $179 unlocked and is amazingly fast and smooth.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 AM

14,063 posts, read 21,717,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You mean the 2 Windows phones that are available? Which of the 2 that are over a year old are you referring to? (Not giving you a hard time here, giving it to Microsoft... release a new phone already!)
I didn't know they were that old. I hope they keep making phones.

Quote:
And what features were missing from the flagship Androids you looked at that weren't available?
I'm not going to play that game. The affordable ones were junk, or old.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:46 PM

230 posts, read 181,704 times
Quote:
So whose side are you on?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:00 PM

2,422 posts, read 3,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I was reading some articles on Flipboard last night pertaining to Windows Phones.

In October, it is believed that two Lumia phones will be unveiled. These are expected to be Windows 10 Mobile flagship phones: the CityMan and Talkman. Also, a phone with the Surface brand may come out next year. This phone is rumored to be launched as the Surface Mobile (5.5 inch phone running an Intel Atom processor).

Word is that Windows 10 Mobile users will be able to port over Android apps. If this is true this will be HUGE for W10 mobile. Also, since Windows 10 is developer 'friendly' many app developers that have their apps on iOS and Android will be able to create the app for WP10 easily. With Windows 10 being very successful (PCs) this should entice many developers to create apps for W10 mobile. Twitter has a native app for W10 already. Samsung, Lenovo, HTC and others are believed to be launching Windows phones running W10. The Windows 10 mobile software is still being tweaked that's why it hasn't come out yet. Phone manufacturers are waiting.

I don't think Windows will have a very extensive phone lineup like Android. It appears that the plan is to have a few flagships, a few middle phones and a few budgets. Some markets may have more than others.

Lots of cool stuff coming for Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile and cool stuff from Windows heading to iOS and Android. Stay tuned.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 PM

14,063 posts, read 21,717,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleWany View Post
So whose side are you on?
I'm not on anybody's side. I'll take an iPhone, an Android, or a Windows Phone. It doesn't matter to me.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 PM

230 posts, read 181,704 times
It's always nice to have a neutral guy around

Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Quote:
I'm not going to play that game. The affordable ones were junk, or old.
The "let's have a discussion" game? Really?
I'm genuinely curious because there is not ONE feature on any phone that is absolutely must have for me. And I'm a geek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones