Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 AM

230 posts, read 228,704 times

Advertisements

Which is better;why;pros; cons;any other thing one should know;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
As is the answer every time this is asked, none are better. User preference determines which is best for YOU. What's best for you won't be best for others.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As is the answer every time this is asked, none are better. User preference determines which is best for YOU. What's best for you won't be best for others.
I know what I prefer;I need OTHER people's PERSPECTIVE/POINT OF VIEW;why do you think I posted it here in the first place

Old 08-19-2015, 11:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
iOS and Android are great
Windows sucks

All others are of no use to me.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Anyway, I'm not loyal to any one company. I have used Android, Apple and now I'm on Windows. I bought a Windows phone about two weeks ago and I love it. I got bored with my Apple phone. All the apps, minus one, that I used on my Apple phone are available on Windows. This lone app being Strava (cycling and running tracker). When I go on my rides or runs I take my iPhone which now is like an iPod. I synced all of my iTunes music library to my Windows phone flawlessly.

Don't let the gadget press convince you that Windows phones are no good. Many members of the gadget press have their agendas and they are known to be fan boys or girls of certain companies.

I didn't have a problem with my Android or Apple phones. I just like to change completely once in awhile and now I'm very happy with my Windows phone. Can't wait for the Windows 10 mobile to launch and new apps to come out and existing apps to get upgraded. Perhaps a Windows phone won't work for some due to some popular apps not available on the system... yet. But in terms of functionality, yes, the phone works awesome. Just my take. Perhaps in a year I return to Android.... or Apple..... or try Blackberry or stay with Windows? Who knows?

-Cheers.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Anyway, I'm not loyal to any one company. I have used Android, Apple and now I'm on Windows. I bought a Windows phone about two weeks ago and I love it. I got bored with my Apple phone. All the apps, minus one, that I used on my Apple phone are available on Windows. This lone app being Strava (cycling and running tracker). When I go on my rides or runs I take my iPhone which now is like an iPod. I synced all of my iTunes music library to my Windows phone flawlessly.

Don't let the gadget press convince you that Windows phones are no good. Many members of the gadget press have their agendas and they are known to be fan boys or girls of certain companies.

I didn't have a problem with my Android or Apple phones. I just like to change completely once in awhile and now I'm very happy with my Windows phone. Can't wait for the Windows 10 mobile to launch and new apps to come out and existing apps to get upgraded. Perhaps a Windows phone won't work for some due to some popular apps not available on the system... yet. But in terms of functionality, yes, the phone works awesome. Just my take. Perhaps in a year I return to Android.... or Apple..... or try Blackberry or stay with Windows? Who knows?

-Cheers.
You seem diversified hence I can't quite draw clear conclusions but hey it's just an OS

Old 08-19-2015, 05:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
I have an I phone and Android. I like the big (5.5") screen of the Android that was only $130 unlocked. The same size I phone would be $750. I like the apps and operating system of Apple better, but you have to pay to play. For the budget conscious, an Android might be the better choice

Old 08-19-2015, 05:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
iOS and Android are great
Windows sucks

All others are of no use to me.
I would argue that Windows Phones are superior to iOS and Android in user experience, quality, design, and code base. Where it is lacking is third-party support. Lack of apps and integration with services render it hard to compare to iOS and Android.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:37 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Android mobile operating system leads the rest of the competition by a mile. Many would say that the number of apps is an issue ( ~400,000 Windows apps vs ~1,400,00 apps for Android). But seriously - how many apps you want to download to your phone? Regular user can get all basic apps for a Windows phone, PLUS native support for Microsoft Office products.
Before Windows Phone 8.1 it would be hard to argue that Android wasn't the better OS, but with the addition of Cortana, Action Center and other more minor improvements Windows Phone has caught up.
Now it more comes down to what you want from your mobile phone. Both deliver the basics and even more advanced features like virtual personal assistants, but while Windows Phone is slick, stylish and intuitive, Android has more features and more options.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Get Android if you like home screen personalization, widgets, wide phone choice from ultra cheap and small to big screen cutting edge devices, and many apps in the store. Expect to have a some issues even on high end phones, with apps conflicting with each other, memory usage, battery draining, although these have been minimized the past few years.

Get Iphone - if you are already in the Ipad Ipod Itunes etc community. Fewer apps, but the phones work very well with almost no glitches or hiccups. Iphones are generally easier to use if your not a techie. Home screen personailzation is rather limited with fewer home screen widgets than Android. All current Iphone 6 models are rather large to me though, my wife has the lowest cost Iphone 6 and I feel its way too large for a pants pocket.

Get Windows if......you just want a simple phone screen with big blocky icons to start apps on your home screen. Also if you are a Microsoft and Outlook junkie. I will say the live tiles are rather cool, and you can now have a picture behind the tiles. but Android has way more of these kind of customizations, and the Windows phone home screen to me looks like a childs phone.

However I was considering a Windows phone, if only because sometimes I like the challenge of a different system. But one big thing cemented my decision not to get one. To answer a call you have to swipe the screen up to unlock, and then also press a button to answer. There is no way to change this behavior in any Windows phone via an option, add on, or app, that I could find. As soon as I discovered this I knew it would frustrate me to no end, its bad enough having to make one swipe on Android and Iphone.

My advice, research the quirks of each platform, and the model you are considering and make your decision wisely, you'll be using it for a year or two at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones