U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM

167 posts, read 319,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
If you have wifi then why not use wifi calling in and around your home..TMobile offers wifi calling.
I'm thinking 0$/month

if I dont need to be connected 24/7
this could be an option
testing it right now
looks promising so far
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 PM

10,772 posts, read 11,650,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
That's assuming Google doesn't eliminate the service or the free calling with the service. Google does kill projects without much notice, so I wouldn't suggest that anyone become too dependent on this freebie.
Grand Central was born as a company on January 4, 2006 with the primary motive of building around "one telephone number for life". The comopany was bought by Google within 2 years and the service redubbed Google Voice. So it has been around a while and may not vanish immediately.

The concept was you always give one phone number, then as your real world changes you let your software decide what to do with the calls. You can select certain criteria to forward to your home or to your mobile phone. The idea was to protect your real phone numbers so that you can decide to block individuals or groups of calls, send certain people to voice mail, and forward other loved ones to your cell all the time.

It has more or less morphed into a way to get free or lultra low cost calling service.

While T-mobile and Sprint have wifi built into their phones, they don't offer cash back since you didn't use a cell tower. Indeed T-mobile and Sprint market wifi as a way to get extended coverage into a region where you don't have cell towers, or into a building where cell penetration is poor, but wifi is excellent.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,751,352 times
Thus why I also use Magic Jack, so we have one number people can call us on wherever we are in the world and when I leave the house or go on vacation then I forward it to our cell phones and un-forward it when we arrive.

One downside to friends only having one number is that nowadays with so many spam robocalls, some people (including me) do not answer calls from numbers they/we do not recognize, thus I make sure friends have all my phone numbers so that they will answer my calls and not have to end up calling me back.

I like Google Voice but learned long ago that we get nothing for nothing in this world, so I am waiting for the hammer to fall, so to speak, Google has to be making money one way or another.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:33 PM

10,772 posts, read 11,650,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I like Google Voice but learned long ago that we get nothing for nothing in this world, so I am waiting for the hammer to fall, so to speak, Google has to be making money one way or another.
Look at my parent's phone bill. They made 189 phone calls last night and only 6 calls went out of state to four different phone numbers. Two calls each to two numbers in Atlanta and a 2 minute call to a number in one state and a 1 minute phone call to 1 number in another state. You can pretty much guess that those calls are to order something.

Now without listening in on any calls, you can pretty much guess my parent's are not running a business, nor do they have lots of wealthy friends around the country.

So Google has this information on your calling patterns, tied in with all the other information from all your other google accounts. You pretty much can't accuse them of violating your fiducial relationship because they are tracking raw statistical information on your calling patterns if it is a free service.

So where do you think google is making back the cost of the service? Clearly in marketing data.

At some point personal advertising insertion is going to revolutionize entertainment. You won't need a hit television show like The Big Bang Theory with an attractive demographic among the viewership. People can be watching crap, but if you know who they are you can insert advertisements aimed at them. In theory you can have a person watch a whole series of ads that build on each other, and they can interrupt his cat videos, old 1950's sci fi movies, or even a new TV show.

So all that data which includes phone call patterns will be worth it's weight in platinum.

Why make a pittance like Magic Jack, when you can collect personal data unfettered by any contractual relationship and make a ton of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones