Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:51 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,322,696 times

Advertisements

There are so many MVNOs that will activate old cell phones for very little money, it is probably useful to keep them as spares. A car is a good place for a backup.

Also trips are a good place to bury a spare phone in the bottom of your luggage. You are likely to forget a phone in a hotel room, and you have a spare to call the hotel and your old phone to see if someone has taken it.

For an old Sprint phone, Ring Plus will give you up to 250 minutes and 500 texts for a $5 balance (overage minutes or texts are drawn against the $5 at 2 cents apiece). For a Verizon phone, Selectel Wireless will activate it for $75 and give you 2000 minutes and 2000 texts. Sometimes if it is not active it works for 911 and you can activate it with American Roaming Network (ARN) for $15 for 120 minutes of OUTGOING minutes only. ARN service works from most unregistered CDMA, TDMA mobile phones.

My cousin punishes his daughter for losing her iPhones (something she has done twice). She has to wait until his company updates his phone so he can give her his old iPhone as a hand me down. While there is nothing wrong with not replacing everything your kids lose, you still want to give her an old phone for emergencies. Most kids would find having to carry around a clam shell phone punishment enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,260,795 times
how I wish I kept my old nokia 3210

Old 08-30-2015, 08:52 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,154,077 times
I send old ones to Cell Phones for Soldiers.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:59 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,237,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
how I wish I kept my old nokia 3210
If you really want one, you can buy one on ebay

Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,154,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
If you really want one, you can buy one on ebay
True.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:39 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
If a person decides to destroy their phone and put it in the garbage, please think of the environment so take the battery to Homedepot, or another battery disposal place, to put in the bin there instead of tossing it in the garbage.
Let's be real. That is a complete waste of time and effort.

The device is likely to wind up in some impoverished hellhole where children will smash it up and melt it down to sell the raw materials. None of this will be done safely. The people doing the work will wind up inhaling, ingesting, and touching a bunch of lead, cadmium, and other nasty materials. It'll wind up in the air, the soil, and the water.

Better to just stick it in one of our modern landfills where it won't wind up poisoning people and polluting the water supply.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 AM

325 posts, read 333,666 times
I still have the Motorola Tundra (no, the phone is not named after a truck) that probably needs a new SIM card. I stopped using this phone when I switched to a iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones