U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,587 posts, read 1,896,693 times
Reputation: 4024

Advertisements

I have an iphone 5 which I bought about 2 years ago. Well as I've heard from others, the battery has started having trouble lasting for very long. I'm guessing others have had this same problem when holding onto a phone for 2 years. Seeing as how the new iphone 6 will cost around $600-700 and how I'm satisfied with the iphone 5 except for battery life, if possible I'd just like to change the battery. I called my local Apple store and they said they can replace the battery but I'd have to schedule an appointment just to get a price. I'm wondering if anyone else has replaced an iphone 5 battery and how did it turn out. I'm assuming it would fix the decreasing battery life problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Southern California
12,720 posts, read 12,522,756 times
Reputation: 35307
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I have an iphone 5 which I bought about 2 years ago. Well as I've heard from others, the battery has started having trouble lasting for very long. I'm guessing others have had this same problem when holding onto a phone for 2 years. Seeing as how the new iphone 6 will cost around $600-700 and how I'm satisfied with the iphone 5 except for battery life, if possible I'd just like to change the battery. I called my local Apple store and they said they can replace the battery but I'd have to schedule an appointment just to get a price. I'm wondering if anyone else has replaced an iphone 5 battery and how did it turn out. I'm assuming it would fix the decreasing battery life problem.
Replacing the battery should give you a better experience and better battery life. Has it always been bad or deteriorated over the past couple years?

Check here to see if you can get a free battery replacement:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

If not then see here:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...battery-power/

It is $79 to replace a battery (and $6.95 if you ship it in).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Henderson
1,110 posts, read 1,617,674 times
Reputation: 1034
Try iFixit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,587 posts, read 1,896,693 times
Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Replacing the battery should give you a better experience and better battery life. Has it always been bad or deteriorated over the past couple years?

Check here to see if you can get a free battery replacement:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

If not then see here:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...battery-power/

It is $79 to replace a battery (and $6.95 if you ship it in).
The battery has deteriorated over the years and I expect it to only get worse. I don't qualify for a free replacement since I've had my phone for over 2 years. I know there are kits out there that allow you to change the battery yourself for less than $20 but I'd rather pay the $79 since I don't want to take a chance with a defective battery or installing it the wrong way. It's certainly better than paying $700 for a new iphone6 that I don't really need. If this lasts me another 2 years I'd be happy. Thanks for the links.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM
 
805 posts, read 893,828 times
Reputation: 1366
87 dollars to replace the battery?lol I bought one online from ifixit for 25 dollars with tools. my iphone 5 is back to its normal self. next time you can order a battery for 20 dollars and save little more.

You cant install it the wrong way it only fits one way. Watch the youtube video on how to do it.

do they really send you your old phone back or send you a refurb?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 PM
 
Location: 🇬🇧 In jolly old London! 🇬🇧
15,671 posts, read 9,553,543 times
Reputation: 12468
It was always bad the iPhone 5 battery wise that's one of the main reasons why the 6 has been so well received
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Mayacama Mtns in CA
14,523 posts, read 8,021,651 times
Reputation: 11351
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
87 dollars to replace the battery?lol I bought one online from ifixit for 25 dollars with tools. my iphone 5 is back to its normal self. next time you can order a battery for 20 dollars and save little more.

You cant install it the wrong way it only fits one way. Watch the youtube video on how to do it.

do they really send you your old phone back or send you a refurb?
I'm pretty sure they send your original phone back to you.

Also, yeah, I know some savvy tech types know how to change the battery without marring the case or something worse, but I think the usual person wouldn't attempt it. I know I would not.

And, by having Apple do it, they check the battery & manufacture date and if it was one of the problematic ones, sometimes they replace it free or at a greatly reduced price. So in my mind, this is enough reason for doing it the recommended way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Southern California
12,720 posts, read 12,522,756 times
Reputation: 35307
My last suggestion would be to go into an Apple store and be nice and calm and explain your issues. Sometimes, they replace things for free if you get the right rep who is in a good mood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,587 posts, read 1,896,693 times
Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My last suggestion would be to go into an Apple store and be nice and calm and explain your issues. Sometimes, they replace things for free if you get the right rep who is in a good mood.
Hmmm, free!! I like the sound of that. I didn't even think that was possible. Probably a long shot but for $80 I'll give it a shot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 PM
 
48,508 posts, read 89,062,472 times
Reputation: 18195
Often the problem with doing it yourself is getting a good battery. A lot of those batteries being offered are not new at all from reports. Read the consumers on Amazon to get a view of the marketing on batteries cheap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top